If I own Denon D7000 Should I consider a Sen HD650?
Oct 28, 2011 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Ahzari

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I own and love my Denon D7000 and from reading the threads regarding comparisons of the HD650s and the Denons, I come across the feeling that they are pretty similar, can anyone summarize the benefits of the HD650 over the 7000s, is it even worth it to invest in the Sens as a open phone? I know they are supposed to sound pretty warm and that they are open phones while the Denons are closed... I guess the big question is are the sound signatures different enough to merit having both of them and enjoying them for different genres or are they both just all around good headphones. I have read a comparison thread but still couldn't get a good consensus if any headfi'ers have a good observation it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 57
Just my opinion but before we start recommending $1400USD headphones that are mainly aimed
at the high end portable user ~ perhaps we should stick to the subject of suggesting other 
headphones like the HD650.

I feel both are pretty laid back, if you don't want to change signature (laid back to bright) too
much and fancy more of a natural open sound stage then the HD650 could be for you.

You will need serious amplification. No, not an E7.

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 57
hey Snapple thanks for the link, that was exactly what I was looking for. I've actually been a active follower of headfi for a long time, just never joined till now. Thanks for the quick response!

Love to listen, I just ordered some Ultrasone Pro 2900s, I should get them in a couple days if they don't cut it for me, I'll definitely get the 650.. I think if I was going to take the jump to Edition 8s I would have to try the Beyer T1s too... but right now I've been spending way too much for audio gear, I think it'll be a while till I spend over a thousand for a set. :)

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 57
Thanks Gwarmi, I have a Peachtree Audio Decco2 amp/dac its been serving me well, I think it should be able to handle the HD650s.

I guess another question.. Would you say the 650s are even warmer than the 7000s? I always thought the Denons a tiny bit warm (but not too much. My Peachtree has a tube headphone amp so it warms things up (a little) but I like warm, thats why i returned my Ultrasone Pro 900s and I'm just trying out the new 2900s because I hear the sibilance and "coldness" is supped to be a little tamed, but we'll see.

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 57
My set up with the Denon and the hd-650 was $2,000 totally pimped out desktop amp from headroom. Now that I payed $999. For the ultras one and straight from my IPad never been happier, and there portable. 650's sound muddy and the Denon sound fuzzy, even with a $2,000 amp dac. Do the math!

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 57

Quote:
Thanks Gwarmi, I have a Peachtree Audio Decco2 amp/dac its been serving me well, I think it should be able to handle the HD650s.

I guess another question.. Would you say the 650s are even warmer than the 7000s? I always thought the Denons a tiny bit warm (but not too much. My Peachtree has a tube headphone amp so it warms things up (a little) but I like warm, thats why i returned my Ultrasone Pro 900s and I'm just trying out the new 2900s because I hear the sibilance and "coldness" is supped to be a little tamed, but we'll see.

Oh you'll love the HD650's ~ they're one of the most forgiving, if not the most forgiving headphone I've
heard that can manage the feat while maintaining reasonable levels of detail.

It's their strong suite ~ really laid back, easy to listen to for long hauls and they will smooth out
bad recordings. No treble spike to worry about with the HD650's.

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 57
I haven't heard the edition 8's and you might be right.. but from what I've heard so far, I never thought the Denons sounded fuzzy, the opposite really, out of my Peachtree they sound crystal clear and musical. For another headphone to be so much better and make me think my Denons sound fuzzy, well that would be the day :)... but I'll definitely consider it when I'm looking for me next "big" upgrade. Thanks.

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #11 of 57
What you always have here is folks coming to complete opinions based on each Head-Fi member having a different amp and source set-up. What is never really stated is the fact that each headphone sounds different with each owners set up. I would only be so intense on this subject due to the changes I was able to reach in my own systems.

It is fine for folks not to like a headphone being that the sound signature may be different than they prefer. The fact though is the only time you can really judge a headphone is after trying it in many systems.

The truth is that yes there is a fuzzy sound characteristic in a way with the AH-D7000s but at the same time it can be changed with the amp, source and interconnects to put the sound in a perfect place. The HD650s are really a perfect complement for the 7000s as they allow the listener to get a wide range of reproduction only out of owning two headphones. I actually have an amp which seems to drive the HD650s much better than the 7000s,again the issue here is all about sound character and matching. 

When you own both you can find that some style of music is better with the 7000s and one style is better with the HD650s. They really complement each other and for the price you can get a pair of HD650s now it makes this purchase of a world class headphone addition a no brainer. 

Many too will chose to use a headphone just based on their listening mood and not the style of music.

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 57
Hi Redcarmoose,

I agree with you, I have experienced how amps and dacs can really change the sound signature, my Music Hall and Nuforce Icon HDP for example made the Denon D7000s sound so cold and neutral, it wasn't to my liking, I like having a bit more bass and warmth.. But I really appreciate your take on the comparison. Thanks.

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 57
Yes, every part of the chain can have an effect on the output. However, with the same amp, these two cans have their similarities and their differences.
Let's forget for a second that one is mostly closed and the other very open, they both produce a very appealing rich tonality. The D7000 seem to dig a bit deeper because of a bump in the upper bass. This causes them to have a bit more 'slam'. The roll-off of the highs on the 650 give them a very laid-back characteristic, and make them, yes... more 'forgiving'. Even with a lot of power I still found the 650 a bit to 'dark' or veiled (yes, I know that word causes 650 lovers to have fits, but it's my opinion, and how I heard it).

The D7000 has very clear and clean highs that are too diminished in the 650 for my taste. I tend to like things fairly detailed and bright. The 650 did not have the crispness of a live performance, and did not produce the 'air' necessary for instrument placement.

Some talk of recessed mids in the D7k. I've never found them recessed. Vocals and strings are very forward and present.

'Soundstage' is a word used too often in reviews and opinions are all over the place, but I'll say that the effect of the closed D7k is a bit more intimate than the 650.

Both very good, and it comes down to taste as they produce a very different take on the music. Yes, your amp will probably make the 650 sound even warmer than how I experienced them (but they ARE 'warmer' to begin with. Also, much depends on your source. What are you listening to... type of music, type of files, etc.
All these things are factors. The 650 will be more kind to heavily compressed mp3's. The D7k will be more truthful to the harshness of some mixes or compression artifacts.

Good luck.

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 57
Mids of the D7000s are definitely recessed.  If you compare them side by side with a headphone that has more neutral mids, it's very apparent.  Not saying this is a bad thing if you like that sound, but the recessed mids of the D7000 just got to me after 2 years.

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #15 of 57
I personally never noticed recessed mids while listening to my denons through my peachtree but the tube pre amp may be helping with that, or I may just be ok with it (don't really know). But hopefully I'll get my hands on a 650 to try it out myself soon. Anyone have experience with the ultrasone 2900? I have those coming in soon. I was torn between getting them and the 650s but from what I read they have a even better soundstage which I wanted at the time.. Might end up keeping them and getting the sens :)))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back