If I had a $400 budget....Custom vs Universal?
Aug 23, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
Have to check in here my friend Music. I owned the UM3X, and I am seriously considering the JH5 (among several customs), and the more I read, the more I believe the JH5s are probably a better IEM, at least based on my experience with the UM3X, which did absolutely nothing for me. Anyway, when and if I get the JH5s, I will let you know how much better they are than the UM3X.
devil_face.gif

I can answer that Andrew. I traded my W3s for the UM3X, and I wish I had never done it. I had some fit problems with the W3s (had to use tri-flanges or they were really sibilant), but once I eq'd them, they sounded better to me than the UM3x, which was a "grass is greener" move for me. A bad move. Anyway, even with the Um56 custom sleeves, the UM3X bored me. Can't say it any other way. I doubt the JH5s will do same. They are getting close to a purchase. I just feel spending $1,000 for IEMs is nuts, but $500 only semi-nuts.

Hey, you know I'm not a 'fundamentalist' when it comes to any IEM, but I came to appreciate my UM3X quite a bit when I had them and all the more now after my last two recent purchases, the SE535 & SM3.

Here's my take, anyway: To me the UM3X is a very balanced IEM, quite neutral and yet very exciting to listen to. I wouldn't say the same about the W3, though I do think it's a great IEM, just not as refined.

When I first had the W3 I was quite wowed, very impressed after coming from the SE530 - an IEM I disliked a lot and not just its SQ - but afterwards I found the former fatiguing, specially after an hour or so when playing music moderately loud, bass and treble on the W3 seemed just a bit too much for my liking.

The UM3X did not wow me at first, no flashy presentation, but after 20 mins or so I began to be wowed or rather drawn to the sound in a more gradual, subtle way. And almost without noticing I ended up being unable to put them down for about 6 hours straight, a first for me. I experienced absolutely no fatigue and I could play music more loudly quite easily if I wanted to.

Instrument separation was stunning. The UM3X is not bass light at all, and that's a well known fact; it has more than enough bass, and covers the low frequencies more convincingly than the W3 & IE8, in my view, it goes quite low remaining detailed and having plenty of impact. Treble is less prominent than on the W3s but not recessed, but sort of 'kind'/ 'polite' on the ears, and also with plenty of detail. Mids are to me the best I've heard to date, full stop, save for my ES3Xs.

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #19 of 32
Ok, but not sure they will outperform the JH5s. But I may be able to tell you someday soon.

Quote:

Hey, you know I'm not a 'fundamentalist' when it comes to any IEM, but I came to appreciate my UM3X quite a bit when I had them and all the more now after my last two recent purchases, the SE535 & SM3.

Here's my take, anyway: To me the UM3X is a very balanced IEM, quite neutral and yet very exciting to listen to. I wouldn't say the same about the W3, though I do think it's a great IEM, just not as refined.

When I first had the W3 I was quite wowed, very impressed after coming from the SE530 - an IEM I disliked a lot and not just its SQ - but afterwards I found the former fatiguing, specially after an hour or so when playing music moderately loud, bass and treble on the W3 seemed just a bit too much for my liking.

The UM3X did not wow me at first, no flashy presentation, but after 20 mins or so I began to be wowed or rather drawn to the sound in a more gradual, subtle way. And almost without noticing I ended up being unable to put them down for about 6 hours straight, a first for me. I experienced absolutely no fatigue and I could play music more loudly quite easily if I wanted to.

Instrument separation was stunning. The UM3X is not bass light at all, and that's a well known fact; it has more than enough bass, and covers the low frequencies more convincingly than the W3 & IE8, in my view, it goes quite low remaining detailed and having plenty of impact. Treble is less prominent than on the W3s but not recessed, but sort of 'kind'/ 'polite' on the ears, and also with plenty of detail. Mids are to me the best I've heard to date, full stop, save for my ES3Xs.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #21 of 32
I'd go for the JH5s as well.. I love them to death.  They're well worth the money and sound amazing for the price and with an amp they sound even better, especially the bass.

For me ear impressions costed $40 and since my ear canals are pretty straight, the IEMs were perfect on the first try.  I didn't need to do any kind of refitting.

They're also extremely comfortable and never cause me any pain.  When I had the Shure universals (SE210 and SE530), extensive use made my ears a little bit sore which doesn't happen at all with the JH5s.

I like the JH5s a lot, I would go for those out of the choices that are listed.

Aug 24, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #23 of 32
I did, and didn't like them. Way too veiled (warm?) for my tastes. No bite at all, bored me. I don't believe they will compete with the JH5 or any other custom, but that's just my opinion.

Aug 24, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 32
Why do some of you have to take issue with others' opinions?  Your individual opinions are no more valid than someone else's.  Accept one another and respect one another.  I will get around to cleaning this thread up again...Remember the laws of unintended consequences...

Aug 24, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #25 of 32

Quote:

As far as I know, JH Audio uses almost all custom speced components and their own crossovers. 

Yup, Jerry is a trend setter, not a follower.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #27 of 32
Why would that even be a suggestion if around 400 is the budget? That's essentially doubling the budget with remold cost, impressions, shipping and possible refits.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #28 of 32
I can't get used to the feel of customs. I can wear universals for much longer without any comfort issues.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #29 of 32
Ears and hearing are a very individual thing.  No rights and no wrongs.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #30 of 32

Quote:
Why do some of you have to take issue with others' opinions?  Your individual opinions are no more valid than someone else's.  Accept one another and respect one another.  I will get around to cleaning this thread up again...Remember the laws of unintended consequences...

Please remember, kwkarth, that some of us are revered for being Headphoneus Supremus, a most distinguished title - I feel so proud every time I see it. And what that means, basically, is that we, The Special Ones, no longer state opinions but facts, solid truths.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back