IEMs with good highs
Jan 2, 2010 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

mattbox

New Head-Fier
Im pretty new to high quality IEMs i've good a little over $200 for my budget and im looking for something that has great treble but also a pretty sturdy bass. Something thats good for listening to Jazz i know a little about IEMs but am lost when it comes to good models

any info that points me to some comparable models would be nice

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 36
Triple.Fi 10.

You can get them under 200 on amazon and ebay.

I don't think there is anything comparable to them under 200.

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 36
SE530, PFE Phonak.......

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 36
The er-4S has long been considered the universal iem with the best treble. I think the CK100 sounds pretty close, but it's like 2x the price.

Just a side note, no iem can come close to matching a full-size phone (besides perhaps the jh13.) Even the best iems top out at 16khz, while full-size phones typically go to 20khz or higher.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 36
Definte "good highs." Because the ER-4S will give you a crisp, overemphasized, hyperdetailed treble response but in my book that is most certainly not good highs. The UM3x will give you a high-end that's recessed but quite linear without a hint of harshness, but to a lot of people that's not good highs either.

What exactly are you looking for?

And before we start, good highs in an IEM is something that's very, very difficult to get right. To the point of needing a custom IEM to do so, in my experience.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definte "good highs." Because the ER-4S will give you a crisp, overemphasized, hyperdetailed treble response but in my book that is most certainly not good highs. The UM3x will give you a high-end that's recessed but quite linear without a hint of harshness, but to a lot of people that's not good highs either.

What exactly are you looking for?

And before we start, good highs in an IEM is something that's very, very difficult to get right. To the point of needing a custom IEM to do so, in my experience.

Usually when someone says they want "good highs", they want a phone that accentuates the highs and good extension (I do agree that the highs on the er-4 are not neutral by any means.)

As far going for a custom, I don't think any custom besides the jh13 will extend past about 16khz. So improvements of customs over the er-4 will be somewhat subjective (minus the jh13 of course.)

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 36
RE0 has great highs, but they are definitely not for a basshead. Still they're quite cheap at 79$. I haven't had a chance to test them with amplifier yet, so I can't comment about that.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAndre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Triple.Fi 10.

TF10s.
smily_headphones1.gif
Fo' real.

However, before jumping the gun on it, ask yourself first if you have the "anatomically correct" ears for these 'phones. It's a love or hate thing for TF10s, you know.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 36
I'd vote for the RE0. The highs are great and despite what people say, the bass is not *that* bad. If you feel like you need more, pick up a $7 Fiio E3.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAndre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Triple.Fi 10.

For Jazz the PFE or RE0 is a better choice IMO. TF10s have the edge in a lot of other genres, but not classical or jazz. The bass a lot of people complain about (and freq response chart confirmed) on the TF's just doesn't cut it.

To mattbox, the TF10 does this strange thing on walking basslines where the lowest octaves won't be so loud, and as it moves up it will get louder. I tried the TF10s with my digital piano (sampled with Synthogy Ivory) and wasn't that satisfying. Its nothing nearly like hearing it live.

Sorry but after purchasing a TF10 I have to fight the hype that has built up after the sale.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #14 of 36
I'd like to throw in the Panasonic HJE900. Just got a pair from Amazon.uk and and even fresh out of the box they're impressive to say the least. Easily among the best and most detailed highs I've ever heard, very close to my CK100s. At the same time good and punchy bass, not in abundance but one of the fastest I've heard from dynamic drivers. Plus they got rock-solid build quality and detachable cables.

There's a comparison with the RE0 here and a somewhat dated but nevertheless spot-on review here.

Currently at £110 from Amazon.uk and even cheaper $110 from J&R in the States they are a steal IMO.

rp-hje900_400.jpg

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #15 of 36
I rarely jump into a link unless I'm SURE of the thread (anymore). With NO reservation I absolutely guarantee the Etymotic ER4-P/S are the Lord Gawd of high end perfection. IMO it will be imperative you spend "thousands" for the same high end definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back