IEMs with good highs
Jan 3, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to throw in the Panasonic HJE900. Just got a pair from Amazon.uk and and even fresh out of the box they're impressive to say the least. Easily among the best and most detailed highs I've ever heard, very close to my CK100s. At the same time good and punchy bass, not in abundance but one of the fastest I've heard from dynamic drivers. Plus they got rock-solid build quality and detachable cables.

There's a comparison with the RE0 here and a somewhat dated but nevertheless spot-on review here.

Currently at £110 from Amazon.uk and even cheaper $110 from J&R in the States they are a steal IMO.

rp-hje900_400.jpg

Maybe you could do a review with pictures?
ksc75smile.gif
I would definitely be grateful.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #17 of 36
^ I may, but I have to give them at least 1-2 weeks listening time. The main reason I got them was because at 100dB sensitivity and 26 ohms I hoped they would be hiss-free with my AMP3. Sadly they are not, but otherwise these are stunners right out of the box.

Like I said, from my first impressions Libertad's review and kojebee's comments are spot-on and I might have little to add except maybe comparisons to my other high-end phones.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one shoot me, but I think the IE7 has great treble.and The phonak is better, but I think the IE7 is great for durability too.

If you despise extension and love rolled-off, blunted treble, the IE7 is clearly the phone for you op!

Hehe.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #21 of 36
Hi james444,

A short comparison with the Ortofons would be great!

I notice now that the Panasonics can be bought for $110 now, which is indeed a steal.
They have been keepers for me. Drums, cymbals etc sound so realistic to me. Timbre is a word I like to use for these phones. Musical and fun, which get my toes tapping. I've bought and sold many more expensive phones ($110+) because I've been disappointed in some way.

They have a warm and lushious bass. If the recording has bass, the Pannys will bring it to the table. Only yesterday I was listening to some phones, and for example, the Dr. Dre phones had too much bass compared to what should be in the recording imo. It detracted me away from the music, rather than pull me in. I listened to Etymotic ER4S again (previously owned them), and still thought that the bass is lacking on some recordings.

The build quality is second to none. So they are great for everyday use.

The Panasonics are and have been keepers. The question I would now ask myself is this: For $110, what could I replace them with? I also enjoy the RE0, although they have a more of an Ety sound signature, but reach for the Pannys about 80% of the time. Easy to drive, and imo, a nice match for the Ipod Classic.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #22 of 36
ER4S!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #23 of 36
I will throw another vote in for the Head-Direct RE0's.

The bass is plenty for me (clean and hard hitting), and like others have said, grab a FiiO E3 or E5 if you need a little more kick.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi james444,

A short comparison with the Ortofons would be great!

I notice now that the Panasonics can be bought for $110 now, which is indeed a steal.
They have been keepers for me. Drums, cymbals etc sound so realistic to me. Timbre is a word I like to use for these phones. Musical and fun, which get my toes tapping. I've bought and sold many more expensive phones ($110+) because I've been disappointed in some way.

They have a warm and lushious bass. If the recording has bass, the Pannys will bring it to the table. Only yesterday I was listening to some phones, and for example, the Dr. Dre phones had too much bass compared to what should be in the recording imo. It detracted me away from the music, rather than pull me in. I listened to Etymotic ER4S again (previously owned them), and still thought that the bass is lacking on some recordings.

The build quality is second to none. So they are great for everyday use.

The Panasonics are and have been keepers. The question I would now ask myself is this: For $110, what could I replace them with? I also enjoy the RE0, although they have a more of an Ety sound signature, but reach for the Pannys about 80% of the time. Easy to drive, and imo, a nice match for the Ipod Classic.

Hi kojebee, thanks again for bringing these to my attention! There's a lot to like about the Panasonics and for $110 they should be up among the best bang/buck phones currently available.

Funny you ask about A/Bing with the Ortofons, because my first impression out of the box was "poor man's e-Q7". Not meant in a derogative way, more like "if you can't afford the Ortofons these would be an excellent and cheaper alternative".

Anyway, this morning I took some time with them and here are my impressions:
The highs on both IEMs are very good, extended and detailed. Sparkle is about the same too, I think they have both equally good highs, better than most other IEMs I know. In the midrange differences become more obvious, both stay kinda relaxed and don't over-emphasize voices, but the HJE900 are a bit warmer. Which brings us to the lows, where I think the HJE900 have some similarity to the IE8, a bit of an upper bass/lower mids hump. Not nearly as enormous as the Senns' but it's noticable and while it doesn't invade the midrange it surely adds to a warmer presentation. The e-Q7 are more neutral, pretty much linear and stay very controlled down to the lowest frequencies. Bass reaches quite low on both, not FX500 or Atrios territory, but both have sufficient output at 30-40Hz. The Panasonics have typical DD punchy bass, but a bit faster and better controlled than most dynamic driver based IEMs I've heard. IMO the e-Q7 are in their own league basswise, presumably due to their special BA-driver. It's really hard to describe if you haven't heard it yourself, but let me put it this way: Imagine the clarity/transparency of the Panasonics highs extended way down to the lowest lows - this is how the Ortofons sound to me. Soundstage and imaging is a tad better on the e-Q7 but in no way bad with the HJE900.

Overall these are both very good phones and their differences in sound quality are far more subtle than in price, which makes the Panasonic HJE900 the clear bang/buck winner IMO.

Edit: Sorry to the OP for elaborating that long on specific IEMs, but maybe this is usefull for you, too. However, next time I'm gonna bump that old Panasonics thread...

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Jazz the PFE or RE0 is a better choice IMO. TF10s have the edge in a lot of other genres, but not classical or jazz. The bass a lot of people complain about (and freq response chart confirmed) on the TF's just doesn't cut it.

To mattbox, the TF10 does this strange thing on walking basslines where the lowest octaves won't be so loud, and as it moves up it will get louder. I tried the TF10s with my digital piano (sampled with Synthogy Ivory) and wasn't that satisfying. Its nothing nearly like hearing it live.

Sorry but after purchasing a TF10 I have to fight the hype that has built up after the sale.

I bought my TF10's before the sale and the hype. You're entitled to express your opinion here just as we all are, but please try to refrain from portraying your own bitter disappointment with this phone as some sort of moral crusade. There are many others, myself included, who do not share your experience. I thoroughly recommend this phone for jazz. I prefer it for this genre of music above all of the other IEMs that I have owned thus far, as I'm sure you are well aware.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by astro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Etymotic ER4

I would second these.

I have a set of SE530's. They really do not compare in the highs with the ER4's.

The SE530's are better all-arounders for sure though. (for shure hehe)

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #29 of 36
Another vote for ER4S or P if running unamped.

Highs are its speciality.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd have to agree that the tf10 sounds terrible with piano pieces, its like someone threw a pillow over it.

I wonder why we hear this so differently? The TF10 renders acoustic piano with excellent clarity and tonal balance to my ears. The only other IEM that I've heard so far that has a more pristine presentation of this instrument is the FX500. Have you been experiencing problems with fit and what eartips are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back