IEMs vs Headphones 2021?
Oct 31, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #61 of 72
I would argue that Clear OG is 2 or 3 levels below Utopia in my experience A/Bing the two. In my opinion, Andromeda classic IEM trounces the Focal Clear OG in every sound category while Utopia is definitely a step above Andromeda in everything
We will have to disagree. I own both now. The Clear and Utopia have essentially the same signature. The Utopia has better resolution which is what you are paying for. The Clear has better bass impact.

Completely disagree with Andromeda being better than Focal Clear. Andromeda wouldn't even make my top 10 IEMs. The punch and slam on the Focal Clear OG completely blows away the Andromeda. It's not even close.

Oct 31, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #62 of 72
We will have to disagree. I own both now. The Clear and Utopia have essentially the same signature. The Utopia has better resolution which is what you are paying for. The Clear has better bass impact.

Completely disagree with Andromeda being better than Focal Clear. Andromeda wouldn't even make my top 10 IEMs. The punch and slam on the Focal Clear OG completely blows away the Andromeda. It's not even close.

Probably heard a broken Clear demo headphone if that's the case when I demoed them (maybe prior people clipped the drivers a lot just my guess). The way I heard the Clear is a warmer tilt version of Utopia with HD650 veil all over (it sounded compressed and congested) while Utopia is titled toward a perfect neutral signature with no veils, huge bass impact/slam and extension and resolution all the way to 11. Would definitely change my opinion on Clear if I hear a proper one

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #63 of 72
Probably heard a broken Clear demo headphone if that's the case when I demoed them (maybe prior people clipped the drivers a lot just my guess). The way I heard the Clear is a warmer tilt version of Utopia with HD650 veil all over while Utopia is titled toward a perfect neutral signature with no veils, huge bass impact/slam and extension and resolution all the way to 11. Would definitely change my opinion on Clear if I hear a proper one
I agree that the Clear has a bit of a veil. That's the reason I got the Utopia in the first place. But, I own both the HD650 and 600 and I love them both too.

If the CLEAR has too much veil or not enough sound stage, then a used Arya fills that need. The CLEAR has the better bass impact. It depends on which sound attribute you like more. If you want both, then get Hifiman HE1000v2 or SE. The Utopia has a small sound stage until you invest heavily into an AMP like Ferrum Orr.

Oct 31, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #64 of 72
I agree that the Clear has a bit of a veil. That's the reason I got the Utopia in the first place. But, I own both the HD650 and 600 and I love them both too.

If the CLEAR has too much veil or not enough sound stage, then a used Arya fills that need. The CLEAR has the better bass impact. It depends on which sound attribute you like more. If you want both, then get Hifiman HE1000v2 or SE. The Utopia has a small sound stage until you invest heavily into an AMP like Ferrum Orr.
The wonderful thing about audio is that there are so many choices, and everyone’s tastes are a bit different than anyone else!

You wrote “But, I own both the HD650 and 600 and I love them both too.” Now, I will definitely and definitively state that our hearing and tastes must be very different… I don’t use the word “hate” very frequently, and certainly never casually… So to be polite I will say I really do not like the HD650 - it represents everything I think that IEMs can do better than headphones (it manages to have no treble or bass extension, and has veiled mids - a trifecta of sorts!). But I know people who absolutely love the HD650, only to prove we are all different!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #65 of 72
The wonderful thing about audio is that there are so many choices, and everyone’s tastes are a bit different than anyone else!

You wrote “But, I own both the HD650 and 600 and I love them both too.” Now, I will definitely and definitively state that our hearing and tastes must be very different… I don’t use the word “hate” very frequently, and certainly never casually… So to be polite I will say I really do not like the HD650 - it represents everything I think that IEMs can do better than headphones (it manages to have no treble or bass extension, and has veiled mids - a trifecta of sorts!). But I know people who absolutely love the HD650, only to prove we are all different!

Quite similar taste that we have too. HD650/H600 have really good tonality, just marred with poor resolution. Really felt the same about the Clear if it didn't have that veil sensation to it, I would recommend it too but alas after getting used to at least Andromeda IEM resolution, can't go back to headphones with a compressed/veil blanket on their presentation

Nov 1, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #66 of 72
So the FD5 would outdo the PM3? I'm certainly not trying to say the PM3 are the ultimate headphone...it's just the highest tier I can compare to...miles beyond the Orion for my tastes. I suppose I've been subjected to mid tier range and just don't understand what my next step should be.
Yeah.
I do understand your thoughts well.
But it isn't necessary to drop that amount of cash to outdo something like PM-3.

Not to sound like a broken record, but for me and my preferences, the FD5 outperforms my D9200, 5 times the price, when i'll take all into account ( timbre, bass, headstage, details ), while sharing nearly the same sound signature.

Only thing the D9200 is better at is to include the outer ear into the sound experience ( by design )

That said, it's just my preference, at least. :wink:

You've said that you do use EQ and you're a bit sensitive up high, so from what I've read, you can pick the pure beryllium FD7, apply a little bass to the mix and call it a day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not affiliated with FiiO.
The FD5 just ticks all the boxes i was looking for and I'm glad it did for 300€. :)
I've to add that i like single DD more than hybrids or ba's for my listening pleasure.

Iems are sharing the same traits like headphones when it comes to fit and comfort.
It depends on the ears (and head) of the listener, nonetheless.

In the end, you've to decide wether you're searching for the next best thing over and over again (which is very common here^^) or to find the headphone/iem, which let you enjoy your music best to your own preferences.

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #67 of 72
Yeah.
I do understand your thoughts well.
But it isn't necessary to drop that amount of cash to outdo something like PM-3.

Not to sound like a broken record, but for me and my preferences, the FD5 outperforms my D9200, 5 times the price, when i'll take all into account ( timbre, bass, headstage, details ), while sharing nearly the same sound signature.

Only thing the D9200 is better at is to include the outer ear into the sound experience ( by design )

That said, it's just my preference, at least. :wink:

You've said that you do use EQ and you're a bit sensitive up high, so from what I've read, you can pick the pure beryllium FD7, apply a little bass to the mix and call it a day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not affiliated with FiiO.
The FD5 just ticks all the boxes i was looking for and I'm glad it did for 300€. :)
I've to add that i like single DD more than hybrids or ba's for my listening pleasure.

Iems are sharing the same traits like headphones when it comes to fit and comfort.
It depends on the ears (and head) of the listener, nonetheless.

In the end, you've to decide wether you're searching for the next best thing over and over again (which is very common here^^) or to find the headphone/iem, which let you enjoy your music best to your own preferences.
So you would recommend staying under $1000 and I can find something I enjoy for less?

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #68 of 72
So you would recommend staying under $1000 and I can find something I enjoy for less?
Absolutely, yes.

It's all in your head, at the end. :)

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #70 of 72
I know you very well.

That's why I've begun with the FiiO FD1 for 65 €. Well, it was the Pioneer SE-CH9T first. :wink:

The FD1 was a recommendation of "Miniklangwunder" back in the days.
Was blown away by the different sound experience and was sold immediately. ^^
The fit was what I haven't expected at first, snugged in the right position at first attach, great and a big plus.

My advice is to start with well known, cheap but reasonable ones.
For me, the FD1 was that kind of iem and is my work horse while doing my business.

Now, I've settled with its bigger brother, the FD5.
And that is all i need to enjoy my music even more.
No thoughts about upgraditis. :)

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #71 of 72
I know you very well.

That's why I've begun with the FiiO FD1 for 65 €. Well, it was the Pioneer SE-CH9T first. :wink:

The FD1 was a recommendation of "Miniklangwunder" back in the days.
Was blown away by the different sound experience and was sold immediately. ^^
The fit was what I haven't expected at first, snugged in the right position at first attach, great and a big plus.

My advice is to start with well known, cheap but reasonable ones.
For me, the FD1 was that kind of iem and is my work horse while doing my business.

Now, I've settled with its bigger brother, the FD5.
And that is all i need to enjoy my music even more.
No thoughts about upgraditis. :)
I have tried a few decent cheaper in ears, Shure SE215, Klipsch S4, Campfire Orion, so I definitely want to go beyond that range.

Now I'm kind of stuck between the Bravado, FD7, and Kennerton Magni

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #72 of 72
Quick update: the A&K XB10 (balanced via 2.5 out) is plenty of power for the Bravado MK2, so... Pretty much anything should be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back