IEM's that compliment the Sony walkman NWZ A845+ ATH M50?
Nov 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

walkmanforever

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently listening to the A845 paired with the ATH M50. I'm looking for an IEM a step up in the SQ than the M50's. Broad soundstage, similar signature as the M50's or a bit warmer. I was thinking about the IE8 and the Panasonic HJE-900. My budget will be around 350-400$. Any suggestion would be most welcomed
smily_headphones1.gif
!

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 5
The Sony EX1000 (highly recommended) are amazingly detailed yet fun to listen with wide soundstage and deep bass. Few more IEMs like FX700(very detailed and has deep reverbing bass with wide soundstage), SM3 V2 (wide soundstage, very detailed mids, highs and deep punchy bass), Westone 4R (amazingly detailed and offers wide soundstage and deep punchy bass) are also recommended and they all are close match.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
The Sony EX1000 (highly recommended) are amazingly detailed yet fun to listen with wide soundstage and deep bass. Few more IEMs like FX700(very detailed and has deep reverbing bass with wide soundstage), SM3 V2 (wide soundstage, very detailed mids, highs and deep punchy bass), Westone 4R (amazingly detailed and offers wide soundstage and deep punchy bass) are also recommended and they all are close match.

The Westone 4R is multi armature, so the A845 might not be able to drive it properly. What about the Senn IE8? How is it compared with the EX1000's?

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 5
I agree, multi BAs are a gamble with the A845. IME this player is extremely picky about pairing. The EX1000 are amazing IEMs and I rate them higher than the IE8, but here's a recent post in the EX1000 thread reporting that they have bad synergy with the A8xx. I'd say the IE8 are fine (though not great) with the Sony and if you want less mid-bass and better clarity you can use the EQ or opt for the new IE80 instead.

Speaking of EQ, probably the best sound ever that I'm able to get out of my A845, is with the RE1 and a bit of EQing. I think these are out of production now, but honestly, they cost me <$100 and beat the IE8 with the A845. If you're not opposed to EQing and can find a pair on the FS forum, it might be worth a try.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 5
Of all the IEM's I have, the one with the most similar signature to the M50 is probably the GR07. I do not have one of the new Sony A players though, so I can't report on the synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back