IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING
Jan 6, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #1,066 of 2,837
Oh man... today was day 6...I can't wait. Hopefully they'll be able to get them finished and in the mail before the end of the week
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #1,067 of 2,837
This post may get long winded quickly for those of you that have read through all 77 pages of this thread already. I am posting my experience with Fisher Hearing to help those in need, as I have seen many of the same questions resurfacing. Over the next several days, I will be auditioning my new custom IEMs and posting a review with pictures within the InEarZ owner thread. Hopefully this clears up many questions.

Ordering from Amazon:
Ordered the UE TripleFi 10vi on 12/04/09 for $99 from Amazon

Item was shipped 12/07/09
Item delivered on 12/11/2009

Audiologist:

Scheduled Audiologist appointment for 12/14/09 at 3:30PM at Cadence Hearing in Newtown, PA – price $65 total with free refit if necessary

Once I arrived at the audologists office, I handed the doctor the UE audiologist instructions

She used the Westone Ear Mold Kit to take the impressions using the threaded cotton ends as recommended by UE. She did not have a bite block so I was told to hold my mouth open while the impressions set. The procedure took about 15 minutes and hurt a bit when the cotton ends were being inserted as she needed to go pretty deep since these were for IEMs.

Shipping:

After leaving the audiologist, I immediately went to UPS and used the shipping account provided to me by Fisher Hearing for 2-Day Air. I was still charged a $5 handling fee by UPS for some reason.

I shipped only the L and R monitors and the L and R impressions within a small box. Each impression was wrapped in a separate bag and the monitors were together in another bag. Bubble wrap was also added for padding. I did not ship the cable (as I am purchasing Fisher’s clear cable), the UE carrying case, or any other accessories. I also shipped a letter describing what I wanted from Fisher (color, bore, cable, return shipping address, contact info, head-fi username, other comments, etc.). I did not use the online order form as it was confusing (appears to be geared toward hearing aids) and Kaysen said the letter was all she needed.

UE10’s at Fisher Hearing:

I received confirmation through UPS that my UE10s had arrived at Fisher Hearing on 12/16/09 (2-day shipping). I sent a few PMs and called Fisher hearing to receive updates on the procedure. Sometimes the PMs went unanswered but calling always returned a result. If I left a voicemail, I was contacted promptly within the hour.

Kaysen said they were busy but may have been able to ship my reshelled UE10s on 12/24/09 but they were unable to get them out before the holidays.

I contacted Fisher on 01/04/10 after the holidays were over and told by Kathleen that they were due to ship out that evening. I left her my credit card information and asked for photos before they shipped and a tracking number.

That evening (at 5:15PM EST after Fisher Hearing’s business hours) I received a PM from Kaysen stating that there was a credit card error so I gave them a different number and was told it went through. She stated she was unable to provide pictures as they IEMs had already been boxed up.

Return Shipping:

The earphones were indeed shipped that evening and I was provided a tracking number the next day by Kaysen. The IEMs were shipped 2nd-Day Air.

Cost:

The total cost of the entire procedure was $279.50 ($99 for UE10, $65 Impressions (best I could find in my area), $5 UPS Fee, $20 Fisher Clear Cable, $80 Remold, $10.50 Shipping)

Receiving the Custom IEMs:

Upon opening the box, found the earphones, the cable, and my original ear impressions taken from the audiologist.

It took my sometime to figure out how put the monitors in, but after I got the hang of it, it was fairly quite simple and they fit perfectly (woot woot!). The cable feels sturdy, the shells are a translucent blue, the memory wire is excellent, and the cable management is far superior to any IEM cable available. There were some bends in the cable from the packaging as it is a little stiff, but I used a hair dryer to relax them.

Sound:

The sound is still as amazing as the stock TripleFi but the comfort is far superior. I will be posting a detailed sound review with pictures in a few days within the InEarZ (Fisher Hearing) Owner’s Thread

Conclusion:

If you are on the fence about sending your expensive IEMs to Fisher Hearing, please do not hesitate. Sure they are busy, but their quality and customer service is top notch.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me or post within this thread. I apologize for the length of this post, hopefully it is useful.

PS. I do not have a camera tonight but will post pictures of the IEMs and the impressions tomorrow.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #1,069 of 2,837
Double Post... Post Display Issue. Please Delete.

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #1,070 of 2,837
Kaysen emailed me yesterday to let me know my box had arrived to Fisher (it arrived the same day she emailed me). I'm about 2.5 hours southeast of Lake Mary, FL so the FedEx ground shipping took only one day. Kaysen quoted me 7-8 business days turn around! FISHER is getting busy!

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #1,071 of 2,837
i been reading and im on page 20, lol i will be getting my UE triple fi 10vi in couple days. and im really interested in reshelling them, but money is kind of tight. and i have read up to page 20, so far people havent noticed a huge difference in performance. i know i need to get ear immersion and how much does it at all cost? i know getting ear immersion varies, and which cable will last the longest/ better build?

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #1,072 of 2,837
There hasn't been much feedback on the Fisher cables in terms of how long it lasts but people seem to like it so far.

Costs: IEM+impressions+shipping to Fisher+reshell fee+art fee(optional)+cable fee(optional)+return shipping.

Read a few posts up and you'll see actual costs paid by a member.

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #1,073 of 2,837
thanks for the impressions cwoo..might just go the reshell if i end up liking my triple fi's

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #1,074 of 2,837
I've got no real problem with the Fisher cable. I don't have golden ears, so I couldn't tell you the difference between the Fisher cable and the stock TF10 cable. It has very long memory wire sections which don't get in the way when in use but make it difficult to wrap up into my Pelican 1010 case without bending the memory wire to a new shape.

I also am bothered by the inability of the wire to maintain a straight shape. It has the bends from it being folded up which I'm sure will fall out with time. I wish I had bought the Westone cable since coming from Westone IEMs, I am very fond of their braided cable. This is not a criticism of the Fisher cable, just a personal preference.

An update on the fit adjustments, I added about 3 coats of clear nail polish to the area I felt was feeling loose and the seal has locked up quite a bit much to my satisfaction.

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #1,075 of 2,837
I'll let you know how the Westone cable stacks up SQ-wise because I bought both the Westone ES cable and the Fisher clear $20 cable (along with the stock TF10 cable). Mine are shipping tomorrow. Some posts indicated the ES cable changed the TF10 sound negatively (not on reshells, but on stock versions), but I need to hear for myself. If so, I will just sell the ES cable at a discount to some lucky HFer looking for a backup ES cable. I also like the Westone cables, having owned the W3 and the UM3X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back