IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING
Apr 19, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #2,492 of 2,837
Hi Guys - seeking some insight. I just received my re-shelled TF10's back from Fisher 2 weeks ago. The fit was perfect right of the bat I'm pleased to say, and they look fantastic. I have used them for two very successful vocal rehearshals now and found that they stayed snug the whole time - even with my mouth quite wide. Last night I put them in for another rehearshal but the sound was appearing very much quieter in the right ear and hence the soundstage was shifted quite considerably to the left. I completed my rehearshal with my HD280's and am now auditioning the reshelled TF10's again as I type. When I began this post they sounded the same as last night - quieter in the right, but as I was just typing I lost a lot of the low end in the left monitor also - it kind of "fizzled" out.

So no I have a very odd sound. Quiter on the right than left, and very little bass on the left. If I push the left one in further with my finger the bass response is improved.

Any ideas? They don't appear to have any wax build up, and having only used them three times I'd be very surprised if that was it. Should I call Fisher and arrange for a return?

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #2,493 of 2,837
Here's what they will tell you to do first:  1) Check for wax build up; 2) Stick them in a container of rice to draw out moisture that may have collected in the bore holes; 3) Swap out the ear pieces from left to right and vice versa to see if the cable and/or connector may be the culprit. 

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #2,494 of 2,837
Hi Alpha - thanks for your suggestions.

I tried switching the cable around per your suggestion #3 and problem persists the same so I suspect the cable is fine. I do not see any wax build up on the colored filters (mine have red and green and not white as some others have described). Next I will try the bowl of rice idea. Should I lay them on top of the rice, or cover them with the rice? Should I cover the bowl with a lid? How long do you think it will take?

Many thanks and fingers crossed!

Andy

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #2,495 of 2,837
Lay them on top of the rice in a bowl with a tight fitting lid and let them set for over night.  When I'm not listing to my customs, it is stored in a Pelican 1010 micro case and inside I have an oversize silica gel package.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #2,496 of 2,837
Thanks again Alpha - I have them in a zip-lock bag with some rice now and will hope that they sound better. I like your idea for storage and will be on the look out for a Silica Gel pouch to user for regular storage of my customs. I may need to find a slightly bigger case than the one that came with the Triple Fi's.

Will report back tomorrow on if they sound better.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #2,497 of 2,837
I left them in a sealed ziplock bag for 24 hours with rice, and a packet of silica gel I had recently received with some electronics. The bass is back in the left monitor again so I susepct that was corrected by your suggestion, however they are still considerably quieter inthe right monitor. Is it possible that the reshelling has somehow compromised one of the drivers? Has anyone else experienced this? I guess it may be time to call Fisher and ask them what to do...

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #2,500 of 2,837
So after 48 hours in a sealed ziplock with rice and a silica gel package there was no improvement in the right monitor so I called Fisher and left a message. Received a very prompt and freindly call from Kaysen who said I had done everything I could do at this point (thanks to Alpha for all the pointers), and suggested I'd need to send them back for them to take a look at. Send them Thursday lunchtime so they should arrive Monday morning. I'll keep you posted on the results.

So now I'm wondering if it's worth having a back up pair or IEM's. As a musician (as well as a music lover) I feel totally lost without a decent set of IEM's. I do love the sound of the TF10's but was thinking about something with a little more low end for when I'm playing with my band where I often struggle to hear the bass player once we're at full volume. Any suggestions? Obviously the less expensive the better, but I do want the quality to be at least that of the TF10's.

Many thanks to this wonderful resource and community for so much valuable information!

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #2,501 of 2,837

Quote:
So after 48 hours in a sealed ziplock with rice and a silica gel package there was no improvement in the right monitor so I called Fisher and left a message. Received a very prompt and freindly call from Kaysen who said I had done everything I could do at this point (thanks to Alpha for all the pointers), and suggested I'd need to send them back for them to take a look at. Send them Thursday lunchtime so they should arrive Monday morning. I'll keep you posted on the results.

So now I'm wondering if it's worth having a back up pair or IEM's. As a musician (as well as a music lover) I feel totally lost without a decent set of IEM's. I do love the sound of the TF10's but was thinking about something with a little more low end for when I'm playing with my band where I often struggle to hear the bass player once we're at full volume. Any suggestions? Obviously the less expensive the better, but I do want the quality to be at least that of the TF10's.

Many thanks to this wonderful resource and community for so much valuable information!

Good luck getting your problem solved, I hope it works out for you.

What about the set in you avatar, have you read up on those. They seem like they may be a good backup and now that the 4's are out maybe you will find someone selling the 3's for cheap trying to upgrade.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #2,502 of 2,837

Quote:
 I do love the sound of the TF10's but was thinking about something with a little more low end for when I'm playing with my band where I often struggle to hear the bass player once we're at full volume. Any suggestions? Obviously the less expensive the better, but I do want the quality to be at least that of the TF10's.

the monster turbine coppers have a ton of low end texture. the only drawback is that they dont have the same instrument seperation like the TF10's(although it isnt bad).
I have also heard great things about the VSonic GR07's; |joker| recently reviewd them and he said he would rank them around 9.4/10(still needs to do more critical listening). they can be had for ~$150

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #2,503 of 2,837
Wow - talk about Speedy! I just got the shipping notice from Fisher saying that my IEM's have been sent back already and should be here Thursday. I guess it couldn't have been much - I sure hope it wasn't user error! I'll call Kaysen tomorrow to get the scope. Go Fisher!!!

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #2,504 of 2,837

Quote:
Wow - talk about Speedy! I just got the shipping notice from Fisher saying that my IEM's have been sent back already and should be here Thursday. I guess it couldn't have been much - I sure hope it wasn't user error! I'll call Kaysen tomorrow to get the scope. Go Fisher!!!

Dang. I sent mine a few weeks ago and haven't heard a peep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back