IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING
Sep 1, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #2,162 of 2,837

OK so my SM3 broke today (nozzle) so I am thinking of going custom instead of fixing them through Earsonic. Here is a mold I had made. Do these look OK to anyone who has had this done? I had them made mouth closed BTW for added comfort versus a tighter fit. If these look good I am going to get the ball rolling on these being made.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #2,163 of 2,837
You probably want open mouth since you won't lose seal as easily. One of mine being refit didn't fit well and it might have been the impressions but I imagine with closed mouth it would be even easier to lose seal. Also asking Fisher would probably be a good idea and you do seem to have a hole in one of them :p

Here's what mine looks like. I was only able to take 1 picture since well it's late and I don't want to turn my light on again.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #2,164 of 2,837
OK I have another pair of stuff. I'll make a second set with mouth open and mark it as open mouth to seperate them. I'll then talk to Fisher about which way to go. I would prefer potentially losing the seal a bit in favor of comfort. How should I store these BTW? my main portion looks similar to yours as well so I think they might be OK. They are quite long and hurt a bit when in ear so I will also talk to Fisher about how long they should be, I would rather have then a bit shorter I think but wanted the length in case that is the way they should be.

Thanks Rawrster

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #2,165 of 2,837
I think they cut them a bit in length. Those are the impressions I took the first time and one side was a bit deeper than the other and hurt a bit when doing the impression. That wasn't the case when I got the customs in the mail. I think impressions go deeper than what customs will go and well you have that cotton thing as well to prevent it from going too deep.

The ones I took more recently I asked for deeper impressions and they hurt a bit as well when I did it but that I'm sure that won't be the case when I get them back. With closed mouth it's not like it's that much tighter. You are just biting an 1 inch block or so lightly. You are not biting down on your teeth as hard as you can but apparently it does make a big difference.

As far as storing it not a clue. I shipped mine (both times) the day it was made. Although when I got these back from Fisher they fit the same as when I got it back so I don't think it makes too much of a difference.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #2,166 of 2,837
OK thanks Rawster, I will get something for in my mouth when I make the second pair. Now to start the discussion with Fisher :).

OH just two more questions. Is the default Fisher cable a good one? I want to keep my costs down so don't want to a fancy super duper cable thats expensive unless there is a good reason to and finally is a replaceable cable system the default way they make their customs or do I need to request they convert the SM3 into a replaceable cable system?

Thanks

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #2,167 of 2,837

Quote:
OK thanks Rawster, I will get something for in my mouth when I make the second pair. Now to start the discussion with Fisher :).

OH just two more questions. Is the default Fisher cable a good one? I want to keep my costs down so don't want to a fancy super duper cable thats expensive unless there is a good reason to and finally is a replaceable cable system the default way they make their customs or do I need to request they convert the SM3 into a replaceable cable system?

Thanks

See if they will do the UE recessed port.  UE has some new badass cables for their new Customs that people are loving.  

http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/reference-monitors

http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/custom-accessories

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #2,168 of 2,837
The only option is to make it with replaceable cables :) The Fisher cable is decent. It has a longer memory wire than the ES cable and you can adjust it easier I believe. I only used it for like 5 minutes. The cable isn't twisted like the ES cable but a bit more microphonic and theres no chin slider like the ES cable. I like the ES cable better but never really compared the two and I don't plan to. I don't really need the Fisher cable since I have 2 ES cables so if you want it PM me after you decide all your options.

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #2,169 of 2,837
They look ok to me. If you do another set just make sure to put the block in as deep as you can comfortably get it in. Then while filling your ear with the goo, make sure you pack it tight to make sure there aren't many gaps in the mold. Yours do look fine to me though. Most important is the bends. To test take off the black tips and put them back in and make sure they seal up good. It will be uncomfortable to put in again but just make sure the fit is how you would want it. I still use my mold for just tuning out the world when not listening to music.

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #2,170 of 2,837
Do the Fischer, Westone ES and UE cable all have the same connector plug?
btw. is the UE 11pro cable a special one or is it just the standard UE pro cable?
Can you change between the different cables once the iem's are reshelled with one of them?

Thanks

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #2,172 of 2,837
Aww... They increased the price to $90... so if I wanted those colored tips its gonna be $100 before shipping :-/.
Btw the colored tip, is that what ive been seeing on the board? where the shell would be clear but the very end is colored?
Also with the increase in price i sure hope they look more crystal clear.

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #2,173 of 2,837
I have the ES cable and the Fisher cable and can switch if wanted so they both fit fine.

edit: the refit took a bit longer than I expected but it should be shipping tomorrow or Tuesday. I can't wait to get them back and hope they fit perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back