IEMs for under £350
Oct 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #32 of 40
yep, still stupidly over priced in my opinion.  i put the MTPC on about the same level as the IE7, not the 8.

many of the reviews round here have a very american perspective particularly when it comes to value and price, hence things cheap in the US tends to get rated more highly and stuff more expensive does more poorly as its less good value there.

mosters are more expenive here and senns cheaper so the value proposition is reversed.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #33 of 40

Quote:
yep, still stupidly over priced in my opinion.  i put the MTPC on about the same level as the IE7, not the 8.

many of the reviews round here have a very american perspective particularly when it comes to value and price, hence things cheap in the US tends to get rated more highly and stuff more expensive does more poorly as its less good value there.

mosters are more expenive here and senns cheaper so the value proposition is reversed.

In every comparison I have read between the two, the main consensus is that the MD's are an upgrade on the iE8's sound-wise - better in every frequency including bass, but especially the mids. The mids are said be be rivalling that of the SE535's.

I'll let you guys know what I think when I get them though.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #34 of 40

http://www.head-fi.org/t/481153/ie8-vs-monster-turbine-pro-copper-gold-md-for-techno

Hello there, and welcome to HF. You're right, you should have stayed away from the forum if you are afraid of spending way too much. It's inevitable. 

As for the IE8 vs. Monster Pro line..... I have MD's and was just doing some back to back with the Sennheisers today. I marveled at how much more advanced the MD's were than the IE8's across the whole frequency range. The bass is better controlled, treble much more detailed and layered, and the biggest difference is in the mids. The MD's just sound so full, lifelike, and natural. They sort of join the rest of the range together into a cohesive sonic picture. The IE8's sound dull and distant by comparison, not just in the mids, but in all aspects. I listen to some industrial stuff, and the IE8's can make it a murky, dull mess, while the MD's convey it much better, further resolving all the electronic layering going on. 

I've owned and enjoyed the IE8's for quite a while, and it's taken going through many high end IEM's, and returning/selling them off (Westone 3, Triple.Fi 10, Audio Technica CK90Pro), to finally find something which noticeably eclipses them. As a bonus, the MD's isolate better too. 

If you can get past their 'exuberant' looks, the sound more than makes up for it.

That is what did for me in the end. With the Monsters being cheaper, what have I to lose?

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #35 of 40
I agree - don't forget to come back and update us -  I am tempted by the MDs also
beerchug.gif

Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/481153/ie8-vs-monster-turbine-pro-copper-gold-md-for-techno

That is what did for me in the end. With the Monsters being cheaper, what have I to lose?

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #36 of 40
Just got my Tributes in today, Wow. These things are freaking beautiful and the sound... Eargasm galore! Far and away better SQ than my HD25-1 II and the bass... Never heard anything so sweet sounding.

I'm still trying out the different tips but my God, these things can sing. I'm so glad I went for them, I feel I cannot go anywhere but customs next.

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #37 of 40

Glad you like them. I was very impressed when I first heard them too 
L3000.gif

Quote:
Just got my Tributes in today, Wow. These things are freaking beautiful and the sound... Eargasm galore! Far and away better SQ than my HD25-1 II and the bass... Never heard anything so sweet sounding.

I'm still trying out the different tips but my God, these things can sing. I'm so glad I went for them, I feel I cannot go anywhere but customs next.

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #38 of 40

Quote:
Glad you like them. I was very impressed when I first heard them too 
L3000.gif

I love absolutely everything about them except for the cable. It's a bit too thin for my liking, but with a life-time warranty you can't really complain. Testing the tips, I'm not too fond of the super tips. The gel ones just don't agree with my ears - the foam aren't too bad but the silicone are better imo. Does anyone have recommendations for ear tips?

Cheers

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #40 of 40

Quote:
How about a set of JH5 custom? They sounded fun yet clear IMO.
However, I'm not sure whether it will still be <£350 after a trip to audiologist.

Already got some MMDT's mate. 
wink_face.gif

My next IEMs are definitely going to be customs though. A toss up between Westone es5's, JH13's and UM Miracles. Until then, I'm just going to kick back and enjoy these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back