IEMs for Running?
Apr 10, 2010 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mark13

New Head-Fier
I currently use Ultimate Ears Super Fi3 Studios for everyday use, which means listening to music and podcasts on my ipod while commuting and running. I really like the sound of these (I am by no means an audiophile), but the second cord just broke (this one last 3 months) and I think it's time for another pair.

Here's what I like about the Super Fi3s:
- good sound, seems pretty neutral
- not heavy bass (I really don't like a big bass sound)
- over the ear cords; most comfortable for running - at least for me
- sound isolation

Here's what I don't like:
- customer service stinks since Logitech purchased IE
- cords keep breaking

I probably want to stay in the $200 range, though cost is not a primary driver. I do want a natural sound, without an over-emphasized bass. I do want over the ear cords.

I really like the sound and fit of UEs but am afraid to shell out more money for a product that doesn't seem to have good build quality. Was thinking about Etymotics but wanted to see what people thought given my preferences.

Mark

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 11
ATH-CK10, HF5, Westone 2, PK2 and UE700.........

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 11
Not so interested in a sports specific line, but rather one where the cords can go over the ear. I like the sound quality of the UEs and am not interested in a 'cheap' pair. Sound quality is important to me; it's just I'm not so into it that I can describe the technical specs and details.

I did do a search but most posts focused on inexpensive headphones for running, and debates about noise cancellation. I already know what characteristics I like in the IEMs, just looking for specific pairs that might meet those criteria.

Thanks...

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 11
CK10 is quite well-suited if you're okay with understated bass. Amazing build quality, no microphonics, comfy, well-isolating, and the cords are braided internally for strength. Definitely more usable out and about than my old ER4s were.

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 11
I'd prefer using buds when running. Microphonics wouldn't be an issue and you would still be able to hear the car that's about to hit you.

Buds or On Ear Clips?

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for all the responses. I am not worried about microphonics, if I can find a pair with over the ear wires. I don't want to get into the issues of safety and running with noise canceling or isolation headphones. I've run with UE studio.fi 3s for years with no problem. Besides, I use one pair for everything, not just running.

My main issue is finding a durable replacement that sounds (to my ears) as good as the UE 3s and has over the ear cords. I've done lots of searches on this site, but cannot find a list of in-ear phones with over the ear cords.

Thanks...

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 11
You might want to try the Shure E2Cs. Since I've got my TF10s, they've been "relegated" to being my jogging earphones. However, the cables have some issues as well, as they tend to harden and crack, especially in areas exposed to sweat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back