IEMs for Rock/Metal - Confused.
Apr 7, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #31 of 45

Quote:
The Panasonics do sound interesting, but I read somewhere that they sound very similar to the ATH-M50. I think I might want to try a different sound (i.e. BAs)... But I don't want to get BAs if a dynamic will really sound better... This thread is confusing me even more now I think.
confused_face.gif

IMO (and this may not be the way you find it) BA's sterilize metal too much which is why I don't enjoy the listening experience. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #32 of 45

Quote:
+1 CK10s. 

Boo to TF10s. They are really only worth the $90 that amazon sold them for around Christmas. I bought one at that price and not for one moment felt that I got them "for a great deal".  Unamped, a good single dynamic driver easily beats their triple-BAs. These things need amping to bring out whatever little potential they have.

"256/320kbps or VBR" is totally unacceptable if you want to improve the sound you are getting. More likely than not you get the "muddy" sound from listening to low bit rate files. A lossless song has 900+ kbps. 3 times of your 320kbps files. Go do yourself a favor, rip a favorite CD of yours with whatever lossless format you have access to, and try your M50s. 

Also, the CK10s, or any other IEMs in that price range, will not likely improve too much from the M50s. Regular turbines and M6s aside (they have low grade drivers, can't be helped...), the M50s are awesome, and headphones deliver sound that competes with IEMs one or two price ranges above, just because of their sheer driver size. Although, getting a pair of quality IEMs gives you the mobility and quality at the same time, and the sound from balanced-armature drivers will be a refreshing taste. You may find you prefer BA sound better than big drivers.

I'm rambling, so in conclusion, you can't go wrong with CK10s. They are popular, have a rich history, are durable, and can be easily exchanged (like cash...or gold!) if you end up not liking them. 

really? okay go buy a $200 dynamic driver even and get the TF10s again, now go listen to parkway drive, job for a cowboy, underoath, I killed the prom queen. AND THEN tell me what 'little' potential they have and how much they shine when listening to those kind of bands, and did you even have a good fit?

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #33 of 45

Quote:

really? okay go buy a $200 dynamic driver even and get the TF10s again, now go listen to parkway drive, job for a cowboy, underoath, I killed the prom queen. AND THEN tell me what 'little' potential they have and how much they shine when listening to those kind of bands, and did you even have a good fit?

I agree. I don't know how he can be so opposed to the TF10's sound. I've heard people complain about the recessed mids, but no one has voiced an opinion of them being the "$90 he paid for them." The only major gripe with them is the fit, which brought me to sell mine. But saying they sound terrible is absurd; must be fit issues...

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #34 of 45

Quote:
IMO (and this may not be the way you find it) BA's sterilize metal too much which is why I don't enjoy the listening experience. 

Shure's are BA right*? IMO guitars are just fantastic on the SE420. I don't know what gear the bands have but from what I've used/listened to in a small studio, they sounded a lot like a PRS with a Marshall with a good set of pedals to match: crunchy without sounding like they're all palm-muted 7-strings like on the 530, screamed without the outright harshness and glare on most ear/headphones with the 530 simply lacking in treble. And where some people say they instinctively "tap their feet" to the music on good cans/IEMs, the 420's had my right hand strumming every note on Kamelot's Epica and The Black Halo. Still, mileage varies.

*I see 'dynamic micro driver' often but since UM re-shells SE530s I'm just assuming they're BA

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #35 of 45

Quote:
Shure's are BA right*? IMO guitars are just fantastic on the SE420. I don't know what gear the bands have but from what I've used/listened to in a small studio, they sounded a lot like a PRS with a Marshall with a good set of pedals to match: crunchy without sounding like they're all palm-muted 7-strings like on the 530, screamed without the outright harshness and glare on most ear/headphones with the 530 simply lacking in treble. And where some people say they instinctively "tap their feet" to the music on good cans/IEMs, the 420's had my right hand strumming every note on Kamelot's Epica and The Black Halo. Still, mileage varies.

*I see 'dynamic micro driver' often but since UM re-shells SE530s I'm just assuming they're BA

No it's a separate kind of driver, I think possibly the same as the Moving Armatures which are sort of in between a BA and DD

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #36 of 45
TO OP;

I'm sorry if my comment confused you. I was merely comparing the BAs in the TF10s to a finely tuned dynamic like in the MTPCs. Not all drivers are created equally. It's not like there is only one kind of BA, and one kind of dynamic. I mean did you think the BA drivers used in UE 18s ($1350) are the same as the BAs used in UE TF10s? The drivers sound different depend on their grade, and how they are tuned. e.g. a dynamic can be tuned to sound more like a BA, and vice versa (think W3)

So your hypothesis doesn't really make any sense. You can't just compare, in absolute terms, two categories, two technologies, of IEM drivers. Even comparing dynamic and BA IEMs of the same price range is difficult, because it's all very, very subjective.

Clarification aside, this entire subject is confusing. So don't feel bad. We all kinda confused. So take my, and everyone else's, comments with reservation and a grain of salt (never quite understood the expression). You won't know until you've heard some good ones and some bad ones, and form an opinion of your own. (It's like, you can't know what good sex is like just by listening to other people describing it, big jugs vs. curvey hips, etc, you know. So...)

Quote:
The Panasonics do sound interesting, but I read somewhere that they sound very similar to the ATH-M50. I think I might want to try a different sound (i.e. BAs)... But I don't want to get BAs if a dynamic will really sound better... This thread is confusing me even more now I think. 
confused_face.gif

----------------------------
Seriously, are you having trouble recognizing the MTPCs and IE7s in my profile picture. You know, the picture right above my posts. And see how the TF10s are right next to them? 

The TF10s are like my 10th sub-$200 IEMs and like my 50th IEMs in general, so thank you very much for pointing out possible fit concerns but honestly, I know how to get a good fit with universals. To be fair I think they are comfortable, just not when laying sideways. 

Nonetheless my opinion remains the same. And the TF10's real market value more than backs me up. If you paid $200 for them and love them, and think they are worth it, fantastic. I alo have a stock portfolio valued at $90 fair market and maybe you'd like to buy it from me for $200 because it has good future growth. And blast me all you TF10-fans want - I don't really care lol. Now go drive the price of TF10s back into the $200 range, now that's something constructive ya'll can do.  

Quote:

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #40 of 45
@ Yggdrassilious

If your second to last post was directed to me too, I don't see how I was "bashing" you for saying you might have a fit problem. Sorry if I didn't look at your profile to see how many IEMs you have (though that shouldn't have mattered...). If you think they sound like garbage, that's great; you're the minority. There are many people on HF that will agree that the TF10 is one of the best values right now and I would have to agree; for sub $100 IEM you can't get much better. It just seems you would rather not explain the TF10s faults and lash out at the people who dissagreed with you. Bravo.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #41 of 45
If you want the clarity and detail with the tight kick of the drums, get yourself the Ortofon EQ-5. It's very well balanced and has one of the best timbre in an IEM. The great detail with the guitars are very realistic without sounding too too thin ,the drums will also have a thump, a kick to it that most BA's don't have due, to them, being moving armatures.

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #43 of 45
I was too slow, it looks like the Coppers sold out.
frown.gif

What I might do when/if they restock is get both the Coppers and the DBA-02 and compare to see which I like better.
That would cost just slightly over the price of the CK10, and would give me an idea of what kind of sound I like since I've never tried anything analytical-sounding before.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #45 of 45

Quote:
what about the bass of the dba-02?

Very tight and well controlled. Not excessive quality or impact but not lacking either. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back