IEMs designed for very dirty, industrial work environment?
Mar 11, 2011 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sn4chm0

New Head-Fier
I work in a factory environment with a) extremely fine, abrasive powder dust in the air b) clay-like mud material on my gloves and c) somewhat loud ambient noise.

Thus far I've used cheap, throwaway buds but I'd sure like to appreciate my music at work (my other 'phones are TF10s. I miss them during the day).

Is there such a thing as 'ruggedized' iems without an absurd price tag?  I'd spend up to $100, but at that price they'd better be machine-washable :)

Thoughts?

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 10
never seen any IEM's like that, you might want to consider to look for IEM's that are closed (dont have any ports on the shell) The first one that comes to mind is the new Shure SE215's look quiet intersting as they have great build quality as well completetly sealed body. If the body is sealed then u dont have to worry about dust entering them while wearing them, as well if you have to remove them you don't need to worry about lodging mud into a bass port or something. The only problem will be the dust that will be able to enter into the tips. I think the best solution for that will be to get hepa filtter cloth (or other thin cloth) and carefully stretch it over the plastic tip and then put the silicon tip on so it would hold it in place... if done right it should not degrade the SQ and prevent crap from entering inside the iem. You can also look into sports IEM's since they are designed to be abused...but don't know that will work....and I remeber seen some IEM's that had replaceable filters to prevent ear wax from entering them. Good luck.

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 10
aren't there some totally waterproof iem's in jokers reviews that have decent sound quality?
those might work

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 10
Is it safe to be completely sealed from the noise of your work environment?  As in, you won't get killed for not hearing something?  
I work at sand and gravel pit did quality control (wet sand kills all) and had good luck with Etymotic.  Maybe a little higher than $100, but it seals the best and is durable (ER4S & P).  You can find a pair used (would recommend the ER4P) for around $120 on here quite frequently.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Glad to be of service. Please come back and review how they performed. I'd be interested as I'm looking for a pair of iem's  for the gym as there is no way I'm taking my IE8's.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 10
These guys make a waterproof armband case so you can swim with your iPhone...?  Combined with these phones you can take calls from the pool/lake/ocean/shower.  At once hilarious and awesome.

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 10
Okay, very delayed but here ya go if anyone cares :)

The sound is shockingly good. The speaker is actualy a very thin neodymium diaphragm, and it gives some interesting characteristics. Sounds tinny, at high volumes it's a little like you're listening in a tool shed. What it lacks in clarity, however, it makes up for in bass. The metal speaker delivers unrelenting, instantaneous hits like I've never heard them. That grinding saw-wave synth common in modern pop (think lady gaga) rattles through you in a way you simply cannot get out of softer material. Considering most of what I listen to at work is radio documentaries and audiobooks, the tinniness is a little annoying but WELL WORTH the ease of maintenance. And when listening to music, the super unique bass signature is a fun diversion.

Overall they're very good for the money, and absolutely waterproof and washable. Thumbs up.

Edit: worth noting they're actually designed to have water in them, and when wet the tinniness and bass balance out to a much more normal headphone... but I'm not usually wet at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back