IEMs bassier than ATH-M50 or Sony MDR-XB500 under $150?
Jan 4, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #17 of 39
I don't think theres anything bassier than the XB series...
Try the Monster Turbines, they're pretty bassy.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #19 of 39
This is correct but I'll note that the sole positive effect of this is that they require less EQing.  Otherwise, I find that the FX500s can also pump out as much bass as I can handle.  Of course, it all depends on source.  With my Asus U1 and a significant amount of EQing, I can also compel my Triple Fis to produce more than enough bass.

Long story short, sure, if bass is your only criteria then you can't go wrong with the 5EBs.  But otherwise, I can think of better options at this price range.  This isn't to say they sound bad - they don't.  But they are not the most hi-fi experience either.

Also worth noting - they appear to be discontinued.

Quote:
Quote:
I second the FX500s.  The UE SF5 EBs are decent headphones, but in addition to not having much more quantity than the FX500 and less extension, I can't imagine someone finding the SF5 EBs remotely as comfortable.  Plus, the FX500 generally sounds more natural to my ears.  I currently own both of these sets with the FX500 getting much use and the SF5 EBs used pretty much never.

Quote:
Highely recommended UE Super-Fi 5EB , it's not punchy as IE8 and not has deep reverbing bass as JVC FX500 but it's the most thick, heavy, deep bass IEMs), Eterna, Radius DDM(highely recommended because it's bassy and also so much more detailed in mids n highs with huge soundstage), FX500 has deep reverbing bass with big soundstage and quite detailed in mids n highs.

you are right but i find SF5EB are the most bass heavy IEMs between Turbine, FX500, IE8, SF5Pro, TF10Pro and some portable cans like P5, V-Moda Crossfade, Klipsch Image One(it's close), XB500(it's close) are not as bassy as 5EB.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #20 of 39
Well, thanks guys, now I'm reconsidering my options again :p

My three options as of this post:
1] Selling the M50 and getting the Hippo VB as my main and only headphones
2] Keeping the M50 for critical listening and buying some MEElectronics M9 for bass-heavy music
3] Selling the M50 and buying Sony MDR-XB500 and MEElectronics M9 and not pay a penny out of pocket

Which of those options would you recommend? If the general SQ of the Hippo VB is near the quality of the M50, and it has heavier bass than the M50, I'll almost definitely be going option 1. If the SQ of the M9 is still pretty good, despite its price, I'll go option 2. If the XB500 sound quality is close to the M50 and the M9 is also good SQ quality I'm going option 3.

EDIT: Changed FX500 to HippoVB, since a review I read said that he considered those 2 tied in all aspects, and the Hippo VB is considerably cheaper.

EDIT2: About to put up my M50 for sale/trade for a Hippo VB. I've been reading some threads on it on head-fi and aside from some sibilance issues (said to be decreased dramatically after burning) people are saying its amazing. Unless someone suggests otherwise, I'm selling my M50 and getting the Hippo VB.

EDIT3: Found this post on another thread on head-fi regarding the VBs: "While I don't think they have nearly the same treble quality of the m50s, they're decent and I feel like they will get better with burn in time. However, when people sa it's got bass quality, with the right fit, plates and eq, this thing can be a bass beast. Excellent sub bass is something I believe this headphone has and IMO destroys my M50s in that regard." Dead set on Hippo VB as a replacement to my M50 now.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #21 of 39
XB40's or V-moda bass freq's................Ive owned both prior to the S4s.  The bass freq's have the most bass, with the XB40's right behind. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #22 of 39
i just bought a pair of ATH m 50's and i own the meelec M9 also. the M9's have about the same ammount of bass i guess, but not as tight as the M50, witch has much better quality. also the M9's SQ is much worse, its very harsh compared to the M50 and thats why its tiring to listen to imo.

i also owned a pair of fisher audio eterna's and these i found very nice. they have more bass as the M50's and have a simular soundsignature. i found the eterna a bit more 'fun' to listen to. maybe because of the bass. i would pick this one if i was you ( i will be ordering them too for portable listening, lost my 1st pair
blink.gif
)

these are a 'must read' btw

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-130-iems-compared-monster-beats-tour-lil-jamz-added-12-29

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450407/multiple-iem-shootout-v-3

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #23 of 39
Thanks for that post sigmo, that helps put things in perspective a lot.
I've seen both of those threads before, and after re-reading the parts about the Hippo VB and the Eterna carefully, I've decided that the Eternas are right for me.

FINAL DECISION (unless someone wants to add something else, of course): Fischer Audio Eterna

EDIT: Put my M50 up for sale here. If it doesn't sell within a week or two its going up on eBay..

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #24 of 39
Hi
I stumbled upon this thread also looking for some decent bass IEMs
I just recently made two purchases actually, the Brainwavz M2 and Fischer Audio Eterna
After reading tons of reviews, the brainwavz seemed to stand out in bass, but after just receiving them today, I was somewhat disappointed to find that the term 'bass' didn't mean.. impactfullness (not a word..)
Though the sound was fun and the treble was warm/soft enough for loud listening, it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. (but it is definately worth it considering the $54 price)

Edit: Disregard what I just said.
I don't know what it was, but since I bought the M2 for a friend, I only had maybe half an hour to find some songs and A-B test them with the pair of sonys I own. After revisiting the M2 with some different, higher quality songs, I found that my initial perception of the M2's bass was totally wrong. The m2 not only out-performs the Sony MDr20ex in treble and mid (by a long shot) but it also carries a much more vibrant and impactful bass with it, and the sound's fidelity is overall considerably better.
Mind you, I'm no hi-fi reviewer, but the differences now between the two products are very apparent even to me.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Eternas bass and how well it physically reverberates in the ear. Does it actually deliver with impact? is it punchy? do the lows seem to 'vibrate' in the ear?
Is it as good as the M2? I hear these two IEMs compared frequently here.

I own a pair of Sony mdr xb20ex (best/only thing you can find at walmart) and the bass does have some decent punch to them, but in comparison to the Brainwavz it is unsurprisingly at the expense of the midrange and treble

Anyways, to OP, I'm currently in a complicated situation that you can avoid easily. Do not confuse the Fischer audio Eterna with the fischer audio eterna rev.2.
The rev.2 is not nearly as good as the original ACCORDING to various people here on head-fi.

So if you're looking to buy the Eterna's, make sure you're purchasing the non-rev.2 variety.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #25 of 39
Thanks for the advice, while I read somewhere that both revisions are very similar, I'll take your word for it and look out for rev 1.
In return I'll just share my two cents based on what I've read: The Hippo VB headphones are the >$100 IEMs to go to for "vibrating"  bass (aka sub bass), while the Eternas have more of the mid-bass. I'll be purchasing the Eternas as soon as I sell my M50 (which will probably be very soon, judging by the amount of PMs i've received only hours after posting the thread), and once I receive them I'll post my bass impressions in this thread if I don't forget.

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #27 of 39
Wow, read that through, and am now buying a Genesis instead. It's supposed to be better than either Eterna, and it's even a few bucks cheaper. Seems like a no-brainer, I just hope it lasts..

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #28 of 39
Jan 5, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #29 of 39
Just placed an order for the Genesis. I usually don't like "beta testing" products that haven't been reviewed thoroughly, but the one review I did find on the Genesis compared them somewhat to the Eterna and stated that the Genesis had stronger bass, and as I am a basshead, that got me interested. It was also pretty favorable SQ wise apparently. I was just about to purchase the Hippo VB for the same price, but since both the VB and Eterna are considered near the same level and the Genesis is supposed to be a level higher up than the Eterna.. well, time will tell. While I won't have any other headphones to compare them to since I'm shipping my M50 today, I just hope that SQ wise its not much worse than the M50 its replacing.

I'll definitely post my impressions when I get them, before burn-in and after burn-in (I've never been a fan of burn-in strictly because I hate waiting so we'll see how it goes). 

Thanks for all of the help guys! Hope I made the right choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back