IEMs are improving so fast nowadays; do you think it’s worth waiting?
May 3, 2022 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

1832vin

New Head-Fier
Maybe this does not apply to audiophiles that likes to collect more than listen(ouch), but if you are a audiophile that like to save up a bit to buy a new pair of good IEM and use them for a good while, the scene is moving at such a break new pace compared to a few years back, are you scared when you click the purchase button, that a new, better IEM at your price comes up by another Chi-FI in a few months’ time?

We’re not all reviewers or people that can splurge a few hundred every other month on IEMs….

Or am I just overthinking this?

May 3, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 25
Maybe this does not apply to audiophiles that likes to collect more than listen(ouch), but if you are a audiophile that like to save up a bit to buy a new pair of good IEM and use them for a good while, the scene is moving at such a break new pace compared to a few years back, are you scared when you click the purchase button, that a new, better IEM at your price comes up by another Chi-FI in a few months’ time?

We’re not all reviewers or people that can splurge a few hundred every other month on IEMs….

Spending 200€ every year on one new IEM should give you a constant upgrade. Sinking a lot of money into source gear sounds like a much better investment if you ask me.

May 3, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 25
it's not an issue for me - since getting back into IEMs this year I only sell on due to fit issues and/or lack of use. $100 gets you more than it used to the last time I was in any way interested in this scene, that's for sure. :)

@ExTubeGamer gets it as usual - your source matters just as much if not more.

May 3, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 25

Ultimately, the product of the break neck pace is often just an ever so incremental improvement. There are good sets and there are bad sets and recently more good than bad but the difference between good and better is so small. I wouldn't sweat it, personally.

May 3, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 25
Are they really improving, or is the price/performance ratio improving?

May 3, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 25

Very interesting question!
I get the impression that in this world of head-fi, and especially here in the forums we simply get flooded with new releases, hype trains and marketing campaigns, and certainly there are a lot of products being pushed at us. But if you wait for a year, very few of the products turn out to be something special, and many of the real benchmark products are old designs, at least on the flagship level, think 64 Audio U12T and Sony IER-Z1R.
Even in the midrange products there are a few outstanding IEMs that seem to get less and less attention over time despite being continuously rated as exceptional achievements at their price point, like the Moondrop KXXS, Tanchijm Oxygen, DROP FDX1, Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk, Dunu SA6, Moondrop Variations, RSV, Moondrop S8, Thieaudio Monarch etc.

On the neverending hunt for the best sound and best value, I think it helps to stay away from the new, hyped products and let the hype play out, wait for the dust to settle and then make your move. You will still need to try different options to figure out which signature works for you, which design is comfortable for you, which reviewers opinions are closest to what you hear. But really, once the dust settles, the outstanding products become pretty clear and decisions are easier to make IMO.

May 3, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 25
If you have not had a pair of custom IEMs, it may be the natural next step. Just having the perfect fit, can provide an upgrade to SQ. My last pair of IEMs were my Westone ES60s. It's been 8 years, never felt any need to upgrade or change.

May 3, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 25

I wouldn't worry about missing out on Harman target IEM #31, Harman target IEM (but it has tweaked upper midrange) #27, neutral w/ bass boost IEM #34, neutral w/ bass boost IEM (but it's a Crinacle collab) #3, neutral w/ bass boost IEM (but it's got EST drivers now) #7, 1DD extension-less wonder #17, boutique outfit hype train that derails the moment graphs reveal it's got no highs #12, or Campfire Audio's upper midrange scoop-out #6 because I bought #30, #26, #33, #2, #6, #16, #11, or #5.

May 4, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 25
I wouldn't worry about missing out on Harman target IEM #31, Harman target IEM (but it has tweaked upper midrange) #27, neutral w/ bass boost IEM #34, neutral w/ bass boost IEM (but it's a Crinacle collab) #3, neutral w/ bass boost IEM (but it's got EST drivers now) #7, 1DD extension-less wonder #17, boutique outfit hype train that derails the moment graphs reveal it's got no highs #12, or Campfire Audio's upper midrange scoop-out #6 because I bought #30, #26, #33, #2, #6, #16, #11, or #5.
This is actually spot on 🤣

May 4, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 25
Dropping a couple hundred here and there can easily add up to one $1000 set that blows all the cheaper ones you were chasing out of the water. Sometimes it makes sense to save up and go big.
That is what i am aiming to do personaly, higher end iems seem to not be obsoleted everyother day by another company that recicles drivers and tunes 1% diferently

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 25
I think customs would be the next natural step in the transition for you, once you find something you really like. it's a very unique experience.

May 5, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 25
I don't think they are improving that quickly honestly. They are iterating fast for sure, every month they are churning out new companies, new models and new hype trains, but I honestly haven't heard anything that gives me pleasant surprises in a few years. Reading reviews makes me feel like what I have is multiple generations behind the current best offerings, but going to shows and auditioning them I felt the improvements are incremental at best.

By "improving so fast nowadays" I'd imagine for every price point, the best in class will be dethroned/replaced/updated every few months, but I don't think that's the case today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back