IEMs ~$20
Jan 24, 2015 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rhcpepper

New Head-Fier
I had the MEElectronics A161Ps for a while, but after the cord got screwed up so quickly with only low to moderate use I decided I am not wasting my time with anything more than $20. I just don't listen to them enough to warrant spending that much money to get something that, build quality wise in my opinion, was on par with any other cheap IEMs I have seen (I have had some Sonys in the past, even SkullCandys that were just as durable!). I was especially disappointed because by the time I got around to getting them replaced I found out it only had a 1 year warranty and it was past the order date! I was assuming something like a 2 year warranty since they were you know, over $100, but I guess that is no one's fault but my own, I really screwed myself over because the cable started shorting out well before the 1 year mark.

I read joker's shootout thread, or I guess, the reviews that were from the thread that are now on The Headphone List. Checked out all sub-$20 pairs that had decent 7+ sound ratings. It was the Monoprice 8320, JVC HA-FX40, and Nuforce NE-600X, of which the latter 2 have heavy bass according to the reviews and the 8320, well, I have seen several people say you can get better quality for 5 to 10 bucks more.

I am looking for something neutral-ish. Ultrasone DJ1s were my first headphones and they have lots of bass. Then I got the JVC HA-S400s, which are also pretty bassy I would say. The MEElectronics were my first experience with a neutral sound signature, I was not too into it at the time to be honest, the clarity was very nice though and after listening for a while my ears would adjust to the lack of bass. Then I got Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, which are warm sounding, but not really "bassy" I don't think, they seemed neutral compared to my other headphones anyways (the MEElectronics were being finicky with the plug at this point so I rarely listened to them). Now I have AKG Q701s which are pretty neutral, and I love them. I think what I also really like a big soundstage! Is that even an option for $20 IEMs? 
tongue.gif

Like I said I have JVC HA-S400s, my only portables at the moment, and I like them. Always takes me a while to adjust to the sound signature of them though. So even if there isn't a cheap neutral sounding pair with a decent soundstage (now that I say it like that, I realize there probably is none haha), just shoot me some options!
Thanks!

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 2
  I had the MEElectronics A161Ps for a while, but after the cord got screwed up so quickly with only low to moderate use I decided I am not wasting my time with anything more than $20. I just don't listen to them enough to warrant spending that much money to get something that, build quality wise in my opinion, was on par with any other cheap IEMs I have seen (I have had some Sonys in the past, even SkullCandys that were just as durable!). I was especially disappointed because by the time I got around to getting them replaced I found out it only had a 1 year warranty and it was past the order date! I was assuming something like a 2 year warranty since they were you know, over $100, but I guess that is no one's fault but my own, I really screwed myself over because the cable started shorting out well before the 1 year mark.

I read joker's shootout thread, or I guess, the reviews that were from the thread that are now on The Headphone List. Checked out all sub-$20 pairs that had decent 7+ sound ratings. It was the Monoprice 8320, JVC HA-FX40, and Nuforce NE-600X, of which the latter 2 have heavy bass according to the reviews and the 8320, well, I have seen several people say you can get better quality for 5 to 10 bucks more.

I am looking for something neutral-ish. Ultrasone DJ1s were my first headphones and they have lots of bass. Then I got the JVC HA-S400s, which are also pretty bassy I would say. The MEElectronics were my first experience with a neutral sound signature, I was not too into it at the time to be honest, the clarity was very nice though and after listening for a while my ears would adjust to the lack of bass. Then I got Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, which are warm sounding, but not really "bassy" I don't think, they seemed neutral compared to my other headphones anyways (the MEElectronics were being finicky with the plug at this point so I rarely listened to them). Now I have AKG Q701s which are pretty neutral, and I love them. I think what I also really like a big soundstage! Is that even an option for $20 IEMs? 
tongue.gif

Like I said I have JVC HA-S400s, my only portables at the moment, and I like them. Always takes me a while to adjust to the sound signature of them though. So even if there isn't a cheap neutral sounding pair with a decent soundstage (now that I say it like that, I realize there probably is none haha), just shoot me some options!
Thanks!

LG Quadbeat might tickle your interest. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back