IEMs ~$100
Sep 2, 2012 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TomSawyer

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, another recommendation thread to follow the plethora of existing ones..
Basically, I recently had my jacket stolen whilst at a pub (shouldn't leave things sitting aside, my own fault). In the pocket of said jacket were my Ultimate Ears (UE 700s), something I'm not as irritated about as I otherwise would have been as a result of their being on their last legs, so to speak.. The plug was being somewhat dubiously held on by duct tape, and this was the second set I'd ahd after the first was replaced under warranty with a similar issue. Loved the sound of them, but the plug had a decided tendancy to want to live a seperate life to the cables, and I'd had enough of this.

The logitechs cost me $100, and I wasn't really wanting to spend much more than this (planning on dedicating every last penny to a holiday at the end of the year), however I may consider stretching a little if it is considered worthwhile.

The main usage is commuting (powered off a Samsung Galaxy S2), be it walking, bussing or catching the train. Listening covers everything from podcasts to classic rock (Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, The Doors) to more bluesey numbers (John Legend and the Roots - Wake Up is a personal favourite) and trance albums such as Abova and Beyond  - Group Therapy.

1. Shure 215
  2. Brainwavz M3
  3. Thinksound TS02
  4. Thinksound MS01 (cheers, tinyman)

Are my initial thoughts, however obviously more options are avail;able and suggestions are welcome.

Also, I'm in Australia, so local availability isn't as good as the US :)

Cheers

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 5
I would take the M3 out of that list, not because they wouldn't do you well sonically, they will, but they don't isolate as well as I'd like them to for commuting.  You may also want to look at the ThinkSound MS01.  It's slightly longer in size, otherwise same comfort.  The overall SQ is a gain with the exception of a trade in vocals.  The TS02 does vocal sweetness better than the MS01.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 5
www.noisymotel.com.au

They're the local Thinksound distributor. Staking out at Chapel Street of Melbourne. They're friendly! and always in lookout for more and more cool audio gear. Chat with them to find out what's best for your for the price you're willing to pay. They've got a cool chatroom system. And Billy, the store owner is always free for a chat. We became friends after I reviewed a thinksound ts02 (which I didn't even purchase from his store).

I'll recommend the MS01's as well for about AUD109 I think they're priced at.

The logitech UE700s (from logitechshop I prsume) are a great buy for 100 btw :p

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 5
You read my mind :)
I bought the ms01s from Noisy Motel last Monday after chatting with Billy in their online chat module.. Very happy with them; they sit better in my ears better than the (logitechshop sourced) UE700s ever did, and sound great :)

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
You read my mind
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought the ms01s from Noisy Motel last Monday after chatting with Billy in their online chat module.. Very happy with them; they sit better in my ears better than the (logitechshop sourced) UE700s ever did, and sound great
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad you are enjoying them.  They are a nice fun headphone that doesn't sacrifice quality while doing it :)  Certainly something I respect from ThinkSound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back