IEM with least amount of microphonics
Mar 30, 2008 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

koop

Head-Fier
Looking for an iem with the least amount of microphonics. I realize that using the over the ear method a la shure is a quick fix but would still like opinions.

I was close to purchasing the ety 6i iems but was reading that they aren't so good with the microphonics. The um1s seem to be right in my price range and reportedly are very comfortable but i haven't heard much on the microphonics.

the superfi 3 seem like a cheap alternative but they seem to stick out of the ear quite a bit and i don't feel like having to mod my iems to get them to do what i want (flip mod).

v-moda vibes seemed to get a lot of recommendations but apparently the 2nd gen aren't that good. The ATH-CK7 seem interesting, prolly not as good of a seal since its a dynamic driver but thats ok. Im more concerned about them falling out cus they seem like they are a bit heavy. I listen to mostly indy rock and my price range is sub $100. Would be awesome to keep it at around $50 so i could feel comfortable using them for active use (gym/skating). Comfort comes first, then SQ. Thanks in advance.

btw my source will most likely be a sansa clip or fuze if that helps.

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 31
Westone's cable tend to be more resistant to microphonic, IIRC.

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 31
The Westones have almost no issue with microphonics. Certainly less so than Etymotics and UEs. (I've owned stuff from all three brands and have experience with all the models you describe from them).

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 31
To anyone: what is the effect called where when you are wearing IEMs and you walk, you hear a "thud" noise every time you take a step?

Are there any IEMs that don't suffer from this? It seems any IEM that creates a good seal would produce this effect.

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 31
I think that is inevitable, which is a why a dynamic driver seems appealing to me (CK7 and v-moda vibe.. correct me if im wrong). The seal on these drivers isn't as good but they are supposed to sound more "fun" and don't suffer from the thud you are talking about (based on what ive read).

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 31
The Ety's aren't so bad if you clip them or run them under your shirt, and the UE's aren't as bad, but they suffer because of the rather stiff cable.

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To anyone: what is the effect called where when you are wearing IEMs and you walk, you hear a "thud" noise every time you take a step?

Are there any IEMs that don't suffer from this? It seems any IEM that creates a good seal would produce this effect.

Read my basic guide to IEM (link in my signature), section: Microphonic and bone conduction. It is an acoustic effect caused by sealed ear canal, and suggestions for solving the problem are listed in that thread.

Mar 30, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 31
Westone IEMs are least affected by microphonics. I think the "thump" you are referring to Peter is when a large piece of the cable suddenly hits your coat or something like that. Try and run the cable under your t-shirt up to your neck and then around the ear. You could also try a clip on the cable.

If it isn't that it is probably bone conducted noise. There is no way to get around that.

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #12 of 31
i have owned the ety, westone and futuresonics and gone to bed with se500. i also own victor hp-fx500 (my favourite).

least microphonics:
1. westone
2. futuresonics - victor fx500
3. shure
4. canalphones of any other vendor
5. ety er4s - appauling but wonderful strange iem!

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #13 of 31
Etys are the worst
UE in middle
Westone are the best microphonic free sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #14 of 31
thanks for the replies guys... im really leaning towards the ATH-CK7 for the price and the amount of recommendation they get on these boards. Their lack of isolation is not so much an issue, my only concern is the weight of them causing them to fall out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back