IEM vs. Senn hd580 and amp options
Jul 21, 2011 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

YTCrazyTieGuy

Head-Fier
Hey guys, Im not sure if I should buy a senn hd580 or a fischer DBA-02 or a Vsonic GR07 (I'm open to other suggestions btw). if I'll buy an IEM I'll also save money on an amp and because I also need a portable. FR isn't as important to me as detail.
I'm also not sure what amp to get in the $150 range. The ones I currently have on my mind are the V-Can, a used m-stage, a Pimeta (I'll ask somebody else to build it for me), or maybe even a JDS Labs CmoyBB if I choose an IEM that doesn't need much.
Thanks.
o2smile.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 19
If you are using these for bass heavy genres then i will recommend the Dynamic IEMs like EX600, IE7, MTP Gold and these will improve with AMPs help. For instrumental, jazz, classical i will recommend the BA IEMs like HF5, DBA-02, CK10, PFE112. The fullsize closed cans like HFI580 are great sounding with large surround soundstage effect.

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the input, but I'm mostly looking for a neutral headphone for mixing and monitoring (and just music listening), so I don't really need a bass heavy headphone, and I'll also be using EQ to make them neutral.
About the HFI580, I think you got a little confused. They have good soundstage because of their s-logic technology, not because they are closed. But either way, if I'm going to get a full size its most probably going to be the HD580.

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 19
I agree it's S-LOGIC technology but it's gives natural wide surround soundstage effect and it's hard to find in other closed cans.

Jul 24, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 19
I am a little confused on what you want. You want something that's portable(move around the room) but you also want something that's is for monitoring and mixing(sit in front of your equipment). That's kind of 2 different categories in my view. 

I will give you my 2 cents anyway. I have HD580 and JDS Cmoy Bass Boost amp and UM3x, which was one of the best universals. 

I enjoy them both, but HD580 + Cmoy gets much more uses because I sit in front of my computer a lot more than I spend time on transit. In fact, I don't even like wearing IEM when I walk around, sit in buses(I feel uncomfortable when I can't hear the surrounding). I have to say HD580 is really lacking power for me without the Cmoy, but I don't ever feel like I need to upgrade my Cmoy to something better. HD580 is about $150?? and Cmoy is about $60??. If you want better sound than that, you probably should move to a higher price tier headphones (such as DT880?) instead of upgrading amp. (But upgrading headphones also requires upgrading amp! Wallet crys :'( 

Additionally, HD580 wins hands down in terms of convenience and comfort when you are comparing it with UM3x(or probably any other IEM). HD580 you just put on top of your head, super easy and super comfortable. IEM is also pretty comfortable but it always takes at least 30+ seconds to put on for me because I have to squish the olives and hold it in place for a while. I can probably leave HD580 for hours and IEM will need repositioning every now and then. 

If you are really serious about mixing you probably shouldn't use HD580 either because it is not that neutral. But UM3x has a ton more details and is more neutral than HD580 (which makes it less fun sometimes.) I really like UM3x when I am listening some really good recordings and the details flies everywhere. In contrast, HD580 is more general usage. 

Anyway it really depends on what you want your headphones to do. I am all for HD580+JDS combo when it comes to headphone that stays at the desk. If you want something portable, I would not recommend HD580. Any IEM will definitely takes some getting used to and you can make your own decision if you want to keep using it. Think realistically about your budget, and do lots of readings to try to find the best phone that fits your need. You can always sell them back onto the forum for a small loss if you found out you don't like what you hear. Good luck. 

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 19
Thanks for the input.
I guess it comes down to a comparison between the 580, DBA-02, RE-0, and the Sexttet LP, and I'll worry about an amp in a separate thread.
I want to emphasize that I'm looking for a detailed and transparent headphone that doesn't have any sharp changes in FR. I don't care too much about overall FR because I use EQ.
Thanks again.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 19
If you're looking to buy a Musical Fidelity amp, go on RockGrotto and buy a used X-Can. You can mod the **** out of those things to defeat higher end hybrid amps for like a handful of cash or you can pay the guy selling the kits really cheap money to upgrade them. My friend bought a fully upgraded X-can V3 w/ labor for under 300 bucks. It was modded to a V8.

**edit* It was upgraded, not to a V8 though.

The M-stage is a great buy and it'll be more than enough for the HD580's, they're also somewhat opamp rollable as well if you're good with electronics.

HD580's aren't hungry but they scale really well with high end equipment and the cable options make it interesting if you believe in recables. I really love mine beyond the fact that they're a really cool collectable now.

IEM's typically have a bigger WOW factor due to the isolation.

If you buy an IEM, you may be surprised with Westone UM3X's. They're really good and you might just dismiss this silly headphone hobby after you own those. It's like a neutral sound signature that is very lively. Sometime with Westone's armature tech makes me love them every time. Although according to some reviews the Earsonics SM3 might be better for the same tonal qualities.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
If you're looking to buy a Musical Fidelity amp, go on RockGrotto and buy a used X-Can. You can mod the **** out of those things to defeat higher end hybrid amps for like a handful of cash or you can pay the guy selling the kits really cheap money to upgrade them. My friend bought a fully upgraded X-can V3 w/ labor for under 300 bucks. It was modded to a V8.

Modded to a V8? I don't believe you. Who did that, and do you have pictures of the thing? (I'm sure it was not done at the rock grotto.)

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
Modded to a V8? I don't believe you. Who did that, and do you have pictures of the thing? (I'm sure it was not done at the rock grotto.)

Oh wait nevermind, thats a V3 with all the caps upgraded, I thought he upgraded them to various models. Pardon me.

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #11 of 19
Thanks for the input.
I don't think I have that kind of money right now, but if I save up for a short while I might. Is it worth it? Also, how would you compare the detail, separation and extention of the hd 580s to say the UM3X or one of your cheaper favorites (also, have you ever heard the Sexttet LPs)?
Thanks.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #12 of 19
Oh I totally missed that your budget was 150, you don't need to spend 300 dollars to be happy!

Westone makes a UM1 and UM2, the UM2 might be worth saving up for, but theres always a better headphone out there, just spend whatever you feel comfortable spending and don't feel that you need to blow a certain amount of money to get a WOW factor!

The Ultimate Ears Triple Fi.10's are worth 300 dollars, their MSRP is even more. They're an absolute STEAL for 99 bucks on ebay! Don't even worry about the amp, anything will work great with these.

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #14 of 19
@Chris - thanks, the UEs look nice! since Joker doesn't have them in his multi-IEM comparison would someone who heard them, the DBA-02s and the RE0/Zero compare them? Thanks! Also, I'm willing to go up to $250 including an amp, the $150 is for an amp for the HD 580 or Sexttet if I get them.
Also could someone  who heard both compare the HD 580 to the Sexttet LPs? Thanks.
@Diverge Unify - are you talking in general or with specific headphones in mind? which are they? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back