IEM Under $175 CDN + and Maybe a Cheaper one as a Present Recommendation.
Dec 21, 2021 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PiersonMD

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an IEM under $175 CDN (I'll explain why later) and a sub $100 IEM for my sister (though I might already have it).

For my sister I bought a CCA C10, but it's so uncomfortable I'm already thinking about the process of returning it. The earbuds are either so big they feel sharp, or they slide right out as I've been "testing" them. Might just need a good earbud recommendation.

Now for the ready meat of this: me. I was going to list this for sub $150, but the TRI Seastar looks attractive and it's priced at $168. Things to note:

• I'll be buying my IEM alongside a Shangling Q1
  • I wear glasses so the cabling should work around that
  • Microphone isn't necessary as I can just buy a mic-in cable
  • Don't need wireless for same reason as above
  • I only want 1 IEM. This product will be used in every situation except gaming, and I want to be active while wearing it
  • I often listen in mono, because I hate not hearing my surroundings so I usually have only 1 earbud in

What kind of sound do I want?

I want the sound to be clear and tight. Doesn't need to be super bassy and I'm not looking for something neutral.
The music on my cheap earbuds don't pickup all the sounds I wish I could hear. I don't play, just listen and enjoy. I listen to alot of different rock (alt, classic, hard, pop, power), orchestral (mostly videogame based), jazzy video game music, and rock & roll. Used to listen to a bunch mowtown and related as well. No hiphop, rap, country... nothing really modern.

Here are some example songs that I really want to enjoy:

I think that's enough examples. Please let me know if you have any questions for me, your help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 4
FiiO Q3 Pro my friend! Hands-down my favorite IEM the reasons you've listed - plus, its a semi-open design so you can hear your surroundings decently well. Get the Pro because you get the upgraded cable which is worth it. If you plan on replacing anyways, just get the base model.

For your sister.. Yeah, I don't recommend the C10 - I've given them as gifts and once the initial shock and awe of the detail that 5 drivers gives you wears off, there's only complaints about comfort and style. I've given away the Jade Audio IEMs before (either the single DD or the hybrid) and people have seemed to really enjoy those. Plus, you get a lot of decent accessories for something so cheap. I think most of the people I've given them to have assumed that they were around the $80 to $100 range (not $30) because of how nice they look/feel.

Other options would be the classic Blon BL03s, Tin HiFi T2s (Tin HiFi just released a new T1 I think which might be fun), etc. Usually with people who aren't big audio enthusiasts, I try to get something that sticks to the same general consumer audio sound (e.g., v-shaped and warm) while introducing something new and exciting (like excellent resolve or detail retrieval).

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 4
FiiO Q3 Pro my friend! Hands-down my favorite IEM the reasons you've listed - plus, its a semi-open design so you can hear your surroundings decently well. Get the Pro because you get the upgraded cable which is worth it. If you plan on replacing anyways, just get the base model.

For your sister.. Yeah, I don't recommend the C10 - I've given them as gifts and once the initial shock and awe of the detail that 5 drivers gives you wears off, there's only complaints about comfort and style. I've given away the Jade Audio IEMs before (either the single DD or the hybrid) and people have seemed to really enjoy those. Plus, you get a lot of decent accessories for something so cheap. I think most of the people I've given them to have assumed that they were around the $80 to $100 range (not $30) because of how nice they look/feel.

Other options would be the classic Blon BL03s, Tin HiFi T2s (Tin HiFi just released a new T1 I think which might be fun), etc. Usually with people who aren't big audio enthusiasts, I try to get something that sticks to the same general consumer audio sound (e.g., v-shaped and warm) while introducing something new and exciting (like excellent resolve or detail retrieval).

What is the IEM you recommend for me? Looking up the FiiO Q3 keeps showing a DAC product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back