IEM under $100
Jul 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Evicetix

New Head-Fier
I had the V-moda Vibe and I thought it was alright, but it broke twice so I need a new set, and want to maybe get better ones.

I'm looking for ones that go inside your ear, and isolate outside noise.

I was looking at Etymotic Research ER-6i, marantz HP101 (Amazon didn't have it, but since I'm going to Japan I can just buy it there or have my sinbling order it), and Sennheiser IE6 since they're cheap now.

All those I could find for under $100. Or are there any other better ones?

I listen to most genres excluding classical and country. I mostly listen to indie rock

These are some bands I listen to...
Animal Collective, Passion Pit, The xx, Yawns, Phoenix, MGMT, Dirty Projectors, LCD Soundsystem, and The Killers. Sometimes I listen to techno/electronica/trance like Deadmau5, Armin van Buuren, etc...

Thank you.

Jul 17, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 7
Thinksound Rain is a great option I think; it isolates decently and sounds good with most everything. Its quite pretty and built well. If you can spend a bit higher, the Panasonic HJE900 is a great option that's also extremely durable and has replaceable cables. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Thinksound, Fischer Audio, and Brainwavz are three good companies to consider in that range. Once some reviews start rolling in on Meelec's new M11+, they may have a contender in that price range as well. The M6 is nice for electronica, especially at $40.

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 7
Dont forget the RE0.
atsmile.gif

If you were looking at the ER-6i i would go the RE0 over the Thinksound Rain.
RE0s are very neutral with great clarity and detail.
If you want a less neutral and more mid bass for techno i would go Rains.
There signature is a more fun, but not as accurate as the RE0s.

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 7
People recommended me the Hippo VB and some called it the best IEM under 100 $ (actually it's 79 $). It's not really my type (too warm, which wouldn't matter with your preferred music) but they're good for travel.

I have modded them to Hippopax (Hippo + Ohropax). There's no better isolation!

Jul 18, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 7
I actually quite like my Thinksound Rains with country and classical...

I haven't heard all that many IEMs, but I prefer my Denon C551k over Thinksound Rain for the music you listed. The higher end C751 can be had for $100 nowadays.

-----

Oh, and I did just order a pair of the Hippo VB as an upgrade/replacement to my bass friendly C551. From what I've read, they seem like they should have a similar sound. But I can't really say I know how they compare yet, coming in any day now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back