IEM that has clarity with the best bass?
Mar 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #61 of 169
Westone 3.  It was a ground-breaking step in universal IEM technology (a true 3-way crossover) and is still the only IEM I have heard with big bass, big soundstage yet has first in class in detail.

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #62 of 169
Quote:
You need an EQ to get the most bass out of the EPH-100. So I must warn you that the bass will be lacking unless you EQ.

According to this frequency response chart the EPH-100 have almost 15db deep bass boost over the midrange, that should be more than sufficient for anyone except extreme bassheads. Considering the amount of bass boost, the Yamahas really sound surprisingly clear. On the other hand their microdrivers are pretty fast and you'll get longer decay and more texture from IEMs that are based on larger DDs, e.g. Atrios or Sony EX600.

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #63 of 169
Wearable straight down around $100? 

FXT90 is the best I've heard at that price and scores well in clarity, bass and wide soundstage, though I haven't heard the MG7 and EPH100. HF5 still has more clarity but not the bass, while the FXT90 beats the SE215 in clarity and bass control IMO, though not by much in the bass as the FXT90 still has some mid-bass bump.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #64 of 169

Quote:
Westone 3.  It was a ground-breaking step in universal IEM technology (a true 3-way crossover) and is still the only IEM I have heard with big bass, big soundstage yet has first in class in detail.

Apparently it seems to be out of his budget. Though I have to admit the Westone 3s do fit in that category, just not enough mids for me :frowning2:

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #66 of 169
+12dB on what EQ? Digital clipping could easily have been the culprit.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #67 of 169
Quote:
+12dB on what EQ? Digital clipping could easily have been the culprit.

Graphic Equalizer DSP component for foobar2000 1.1
Copyright (C) 2011, 2012 xnor

Actually let me rephrase "couldn't handle it" the EX600 performs perfectly fine, except for at extreme volumes.  The FXC51 just has more convincing and present sub-bass, making the EX600 sound a bit empty in contrast.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #69 of 169
Graphic Equalizer DSP component for foobar2000 1.1

Copyright (C) 2011, 2012 xnor

Actually let me rephrase "couldn't handle it" the EX600 performs perfectly fine, except for at extreme volumes.  The FXC51 just has more convincing and present sub-bass, making the EX600 sound a bit empty in contrast.

Any foobar plugin no matter how advanced is still subject to the rules of digital clipping and I see you didn't lower the preamp (the “volume“) slider to compensate, so yeah, digital clipping was very likely.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #70 of 169
Trust me I know what digital clipping sounds like. =p

The FXC51 has better sub-bass it's true, sounding closer to a sub-woofer, most likely due to the driver material's (nano carbon w/e) inherent resonance and the fact the driver is actually in your ear canal which may increase bone conductivity.

Apart from sub-bass in this test, yes the Sony EX600 is a higher calibre IEM in almost all other departments, however it does lack inner soundspace which is annoying.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #71 of 169
Unfortunately the Westone 3s can't be worn straight-down which is not to my liking. But even if it could be worn straight-down, I couldn't afford it because it is way higher than my budget.

Are there any IEMs in my budget range that have some type of separate "subwoofer" to handle the bass without that much decrease in clarity?

And also, between the FXT90s - MG7 - Hippo VB which one has the best bass?

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #72 of 169
Quote:
Unfortunately the Westone 3s can't be worn straight-down which is not to my liking. But even if it could be worn straight-down, I couldn't afford it because it is way higher than my budget.

Are there any IEMs in my budget range that have some type of separate "subwoofer" to handle the bass without that much decrease in clarity?

There are many dual-driver IEM's, it just depends on how picky you are!  Have a look at the M-Audio IE20XB if you think you really need a dynamic driver low.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #73 of 169

Quote:
There are many dual-driver IEM's, it just depends on how picky you are!  Have a look at the M-Audio IE20XB if you think you really need a dynamic driver low.

Hmm those are a bit expensive for me. But do you think that an individual driver for lows will provide better bass than what I would get for example with a Hippo VB or FXT90?

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #74 of 169
Quote:
Hmm those are a bit expensive for me. But do you think that an individual driver for lows will provide better bass than what I would get for example with a Hippo VB or FXT90?

Use a reference, which IEM's have you used, which one had insufficient bass for you?

I don't think Hippo VB has any crystal clarity highs at all, just like the a-Jays Three, JVC FXC51, etc... if you can let go of ultra clarity and imaging or whatever then it's really easy to find a bassy IEM, I heard the Audio Technica CKS77 is good, another one.

EDIT:  A seperate bass driver will provide better bass, YES.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #75 of 169

Quote:

Use a reference, which IEM's have you used, which one had insufficient bass for you?

I don't think Hippo VB has any crystal clarity highs at all, just like the a-Jays Three, JVC FXC51, etc... if you can let go of ultra clarity and imaging or whatever then it's really easy to find a bassy IEM, I heard the Audio Technica CKS77 is good, another one.

EDIT:  A seperate bass driver will provide better bass, YES.

Well Nuforce NE-700 was one and I currently own the SE215s. I feel that both of them don't have the kind of bass that I like.

The kind of bass I really like but can't describe, is like the bass in "Kitsound Boomclock" which is a little iPod dock that has a subwoofer to handle the bass. Although it's a speaker, I don't care about the bass shaking the floor or whatever. But the subwoofer in that dock handles bass very well, I think it's very "deep". I will be grateful if anyone who has heard the sound of this dock comes and describes the bass to help me find a good pair of IEMs for myself based on that.

Also, you can forget about the ultra clarity. But not that much that it ruins the rest of the sound and makes it so unclear. In short words, with fair clarity...

Edit: Here is the link to the "Kitsound Boomclock" - original website:
http://kitsound.co.uk/product/BOOMCLOCK/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back