IEM that can produce excellent Sound imaging.
Dec 7, 2012 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

akshayshah12

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, so far i have tried Brainwavz M2, Soundmagic E10, Soundmagic E30, Hippo VB, Sennheiser CX300-II, Sennheiser CX-180 etc. I love E10 over rest all. Thanks to the folks who recommended. But none of them has exceptional imaging capability. Hippo VB being the costliest among the lot, was let down in terms of imaging and soundstage. it's just a good bass-head headphone, that's all. CX 300 II were good but not so great. I would like to have IEM, preferably under 100$, which can provide good soundstage with great imaging, not like the full headphones but still great for an IEM. Recently learnt that RE0 are very good in terms of sound imaging and they sound pretty much cold and analytical. Apart from that can somebody suggest the IEM that suits my requirement mentioned above?

May 26, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 9
  me too it aint the ue 500 or meelectronics a151 or astrotec am90                    klipsh s4 is pretty good though

I can see the AM90 having accurate imaging (with respect to the recording).  The UE 500 is a bit too bassy and doesn't offer the bass reflections that would be needed to get imaging from this signature.  The A151 is small in terms of staging.  Haven't heard the S4.

Hi guys, so far i have tried Brainwavz M2, Soundmagic E10, Soundmagic E30, Hippo VB, Sennheiser CX300-II, Sennheiser CX-180 etc. I love E10 over rest all. Thanks to the folks who recommended. But none of them has exceptional imaging capability. Hippo VB being the costliest among the lot, was let down in terms of imaging and soundstage. it's just a good bass-head headphone, that's all. CX 300 II were good but not so great. I would like to have IEM, preferably under 100$, which can provide good soundstage with great imaging, not like the full headphones but still great for an IEM. Recently learnt that RE0 are very good in terms of sound imaging and they sound pretty much cold and analytical. Apart from that can somebody suggest the IEM that suits my requirement mentioned above?

Maybe take a look at the RE-400.  It may do what you want it to do. 

May 26, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 9
There's also the notion of what is excellent imaging.  IMO, it falls into two categories, size and accuracy.  The idea is to have both, but you can't have both unless the recording has size itself.  There are some headphones that will produce an extremely large sound stage which some people attribute to great imaging.  However, that sound stage may also be entirely artificial, something that isn't actually in the recording and can actually result in things that don't sound right in terms of staging.  Then there is the accurate side of things.  They generally are a lot smaller than something that is artificial, but offer accurate layering (something an artificial staging may mess up due to the way it creates the stage). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back