IEM suggestions ~$100 Australian
Mar 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

ballzac

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy some IEMs. I will probably get them from headphonics. I am looking to spend $100 (Australian) give or take a bit. The main reason I'm getting them is so I can listen to lectures on my long train ride to and from uni. Obviously a cheaper pair would be okay for that as long as the isolation was good, but I also would like to be able to listen to music on them.

I recently got a pair of ATH-AD900s with the hope that I could use them for producing music. I absolutely love listening to some types of music on them, but the response is terribly far from flat which makes them difficult to use for production. If there was a pair of IEMs that would be usable for this purpose for under AUD200, I may consider increasing my budget to that, but no higher.

As far as listening goes, I mainly listen to baroque and trance, but sometimes other styles like jazz, acoustic, folk, pop and soft rock. Something with flat response, good detail, and good isolation will suit me I think. I am happy to keep using my AD900s for baroque and jazz, but need more bass for trance and other more modern styles, and especially if I use them for production. I have a pair of event tr-8s that I use for production, but can't always use loudspeakers due to living with my girlfriend. My point is that being able to use them for production would be good but not essential.

From what I've read, I gather that dynamic drivers would be better for production but BA may be better for listening? In my preferred price range at headphonics are:

[size=1.4em] Audio Technica:
ATH-CK7
[/size]

ATH-CKM50
[/size]

ATH-CKS50
[/size]

[size=1.4em] Etymotic:
mc5
[/size]

[size=1.4em] HeadDirect:
RE1
[/size]

[size=1.4em] HiFiMan:
RE0
[/size]

[size=1.4em] Jays:
a-Jays Three
[/size]

[size=1.4em] Sennheiser:
CX300-II
[/size]

[size=1.4em] Sennheiser:
CX400
[/size]

[size=1.4em] Sennheiser:
CX680
[/size]

[size=1.4em] Shure:
SE102
[/size]

[size=1.4em] Sound Magic:
PL50
[/size]

[size=1.4em] Ultimate Ears:
MetroFi 200
[/size]

[size=1.4em] Vsonic:
R02Pro2
[/size]

I'm thinking maybe the Etymotics or the Vsonics. If anyone has any suggestions out of these, or perhaps a higher price range if they would be acceptable for music production, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 39
thinksound ts02 should satisfy.  It should be within your budget 

headdirect won't have the bass you are after, sennheiser IEMS i find are unimpressive.  Vsonic is ok but for the price there is better.

check out jokers thread on iem reviews.  

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 39
definitely sunrise sw-xcapes' or hifiman re0's for wat ur seeking, a flat analytical response

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 39
Thanks for the advice guys. RBNHIFI, I was largely going by headphonics claim that

Quote:

These canalphones sound great for the price. Their sound quality easily compares with products costing 2-3 times as much. Isolation and comfort levels are also very good.

regarding the vsonics. Headphonics tend to be pretty honest and balanced with their reviews, so I thought it was worth keeping in mind. It will probably be a couple more weeks before I order, so more suggestions will be welcomed :)

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 39
hi,

i also went by headphonics claims and purchased the vsonics.  They were my first IEM purcahse.  They are OK phones which i purchase almost 3 years ago.  But times have changed and at that price point, there are much better options IMO.  I would recommend checking out jokers thread of IEM reviews.  Ensure you read his comments about bass, mids and treble as they are very accurate.  You can shortlist based on the sound signature you prefer, price and sound quality.  Tts a great thread for anyone considering purchasing IEMs, whether experienced or in experienced.   

BTW, i'm also australian although living in London right now.  I find australian prices to be the highest in the world and given how strong the AUD dollar is, i would suggest taking advantage of that and purchasing internationally.  Consider ECCI PR401 or Sunrise sw-xcape from lendmeurears dot com.  They ship from singapore so costs are quite low to australia.  Also there won't be any duties or custom fees for you to pay as you are allowed to important a significant amount before such charges are factored. 

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. RBNHIFI, I was largely going by headphonics claim that

regarding the vsonics. Headphonics tend to be pretty honest and balanced with their reviews, so I thought it was worth keeping in mind. It will probably be a couple more weeks before I order, so more suggestions will be welcomed :)

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 39
Yes the prices are definitely high in Aus. One of the main reasons I wanted to buy from headphonics is that I am worried about the minefield of fakes out there. I don't know a lot about overseas companies so I would have to do a bit of research to figure out who is reputable. Also, when I bought the AD-900s, I was worried about shipping price because they are so large, so I bought from Aus. I guess it was just out of habit that I was going to get the IEMs from headphonics too. Obviously, shipping is not such a problem with IEMs. Also a little worried about delivery times as I want to be able to use them this semester and I only have about 10 weeks left. Still, if I order sooner (rather than researching it more over the next couple of weeks) it might not make much difference in time.

I am checking out Joker's thread now. Looks like an overwhelming amount of information there, but will be a great deal of help I believe, thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 39
snufkin, who runs headphones.com.au, Headphonic, is fantastic with replies if you ask or present questions. the headphonic forums are typically better places to look though due to the catalogue being quite unique, i.e. i utterly and quickly recognised headphonic just from the selection of earbuds you quoted.

they do offer a pretty good deal occasionally on the audio technica's, and they are generally good, but the problem is, a lot of the brands aren't cheap on the site, due to import costs and postage/shipping adding a fair bit, plus the incredibbly subjective quality of canalphones and earbuds makes recommendations an uphill battle. 

i can nominate the visang /brainwavz M2 or beta/alpha from mp4nation (HK) or lendmeurears (SG), which could arrive sooner due to the problems of chinese new year -> drops in stock and exports, especially if headphonic doesn't have the ones you want in stock.  the RE0's are refreshing, but they may not be the ideal earbuds for everyday, and there's a ton of opinions on the yuin pk3's and q-jays, sic. etc.

and i suppose the audience is really specific as well, if i asked on OCAU, it would probably be the yuin PK3's or the vsonics or the RE0s, from memory, but they do offer some interesting opinions.

the head-fi multi-IEM reviews are helpful if you have some grounding in what one brand sounds like over another, but the best would be to find a genre or style, and pick out what you like about it, and use that to sort out and place some emphasis on those interesting features instead of looking at scores, especially when there's 20-40 brands in the <$100  brackets.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #9 of 39
i agree with the above.  Use the scores to shortlist (i usually factor budget, overal sq + comfort), but then read the description regarding the traits you like in a sound signature.  E.g For me there has to be a solid bass presence (but not too much to be labelled as bass heavy).  While i would have shortlist RE1 and RE0 based on sq rating and price, i would eliminate it because the reviewer had identified bass being less prominent.  

Also mp4nation, lendmeurears and meelec usa site are good and reliable sources to make international purchases from.  If the item is in stock, it should get to you in no more than 2 weeks, often sooner. 

brainwavs m2 is also a good recommendation

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #10 of 39

Quote:
I should also point out that my budget will remain the same if I buy overseas, so I will get a better IEM rather than save cash.

Mate, as you say u want an analytical and flat response for studio work, the answer is very clear and easy in your price range. Either go with the RE0 or SW-XCAPE (the SW-XCAPE givin less sharp treble and more warmth), or if ur willing to pay more, buy a Fischer DBA-02 ($160). The DBA-02 would be a more analytical and precise headphone than the RE0's, but as you  should know, the law of diminishing returns comes into play in this price range of IEM's, so it is not a siginificant way ahead of RE0's.

I suggest you to buy the SW-XCAPE's and see if you like their neutral and analytical nature, and from then, you can plan if you want to go further with that type of signature and buy higher class analytical phones (DBA-02's, Hifiman RE-252).

Or if you  find you don't like the analytical signature to much, although I think you will for your purposes, you could go for a purported signature type, ie. midcentric, bass heavy, balanced, etc

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #11 of 39
i own a vsonic r02, and i find them to be quite good for their price, considering i got them for a bargain price ($20). much more balanced than typcical iems, yet still a mid/bass signature

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #12 of 39

Joker's review mentions Brainwavs m2's "Mediocre isolation" so they may not be ideal.  The Sunrise SW-Xcape look promising, as do the Thinksound TS02. The former may be better for producing if the response is as flat as is suggested. But, unless they are GREAT for production, I would probably rather just focus on something that will be enjoyable to listen to than something that's slightly better for production but not great. The event loudspeakers I have set quite a benchmark as monitors for me that I'm afraid probably no IEM or headphone can compete with. However, as the AD900s are ALMOST useless for production, it might be nice to have a backup that can do the job....decisions, decisions.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 39

Quote:
Thanks for all the input everyone. I've decided to go with the Sunrise Sw-Xcapes based on your recommendations and other reviews. 

Great. Purchase them and see how they are and decide if the signature suits you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back