IEM Suggestion... and a few questions from a n00b (:
Nov 6, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 31
So, thanks to proedros, I have decided to go with the RE-ZERO's. I read some reviews, and they seem to be an awesome deal. However, suggestions are still welcome. I'm just starting out on this hobby, and would appreciate more help on good, cheap earphones AND headphones.

Never mind... I can't spend more than $80 apparently, so back to more suggestions... My parents consider it a waste of money! How is that possible? I managed to convince them of letting me go with $80, but that rules the RE-ZERO's out... Suggestions, anyone?

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #18 of 31
buy the re0 and email hifiman for an upgrade and pay the extra 20$ from your pocket money

it would be a shame to take sth inferior for only 20 $ difference

can't you convince your parents to pay the difference from your own money ?

another cool idea , show them this forum and let them see how articulate and educated are the forum members here

who knows , maybe even your dad will pick one up for him
jecklinsmile.gif

on any case FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
So, thanks to proedros, I have decided to go with the RE-ZERO's. I read some reviews, and they seem to be an awesome deal. However, suggestions are still welcome. I'm just starting out on this hobby, and would appreciate more help on good, cheap earphones AND headphones.

Never mind... I can't spend more than $80 apparently, so back to more suggestions... My parents consider it a waste of money! How is that possible? I managed to convince them of letting me go with $80, but that rules the RE-ZERO's out... Suggestions, anyone?

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #20 of 31
Holy crap! How did you pull that one off? It's still a no-go for me, though... Since I don't live in the US, I have to use their credit cards to get anything here. They'd know how much I spent by the end of the month. I'll see what I can do... it's my money anyways, so I'll try to get them to let me spend a bit more... maybe I can even get more than $100 and pull the trigger on some higher end IEM!!!

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #21 of 31
don't be greedy,it will come back to bite you in the ass

take the zeros , they're more than fine for a start and you're 16 you have plenty of time to go up to customs

just because someone does sth extreme, doesn't mean you have to do it yourself and follow him blindly

the zeros are great for what you're looking.just tell your parents , building trust between you and your parents is much more important than buying a cool 400$ iem

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #22 of 31
I paid in cash. 
jecklinsmile.gif
 Seriously though, don't spend that much for your first IEM, start with something small and learn to appreciate the difference before saving up for something better.

Quote:
Holy crap! How did you pull that one off? It's still a no-go for me, though... Since I don't live in the US, I have to use their credit cards to get anything here. They'd know how much I spent by the end of the month. I'll see what I can do... it's my money anyways, so I'll try to get them to let me spend a bit more... maybe I can even get more than $100 and pull the trigger on some higher end IEM!!!

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #23 of 31
I'd say the $80 price range is perfect for beginners.  It's a good idea to get to know exactly what kind of sound signature you like before you go off and spend a lot of money.  You may spend a lot of time reading here, but the actual sound is always going to be different from how it's described in words.  I always thought I liked an airy sound until I got a pair of really airy headphones and then I found out that it wasn't really for me.  
I'm going to have to put a vote in for the mc5's though, I've always found etymotic's products to be amazing.  I thought they had better bass too because they were moving coil and not balanced armature?

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #24 of 31
maybe you should look into getting a set of used iems in good condition,and get a set of new eartips? That way you could stretch your 80$ and get something better.

edit: forgot to add the word used

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #25 of 31
OK... I'll get some decent headphones to start with, but nothing over $80. My parents are definitely NOT going to let me spend more because I need a new laptop... and have to save money up. So, decisions, decisions... 

- Klipsch S4
- RE-0
- Fischer Audio Silver Bullet
- Etymotic MC5
- Brainwavz M2
- Any other suggestions?

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #29 of 31
If you want to go with a BA IEM you could try for a used Klipsch Custom 3. They're $99 new. They are a great sounding IEM. Isolation on them with Etymotic triple flange tips is exceptional, if you can use those tips. A lot of people seem to have issues with the cable, though I've never had any problems with it. They have a bit more bass than the DBA-02 (good quality bass), but the treble is around 3-5% less than the DBAs (my best guess) which makes them sound veiled after listening to the DBAs. Don't get me wrong though, the highs on the C3 are still great. And they EQ very well.

The only issue that I have with them is the fit - they aren't comfortable for me after about 30 minutes of use. I seem to be in the minority with this though, as most people don't report any fit issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back