IEM Score List 2023 - What's Your Favorite IEM?
Sep 11, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #46 of 379
So currently I'm using an LCD-XC but lately I've been thinking that I may want to switch to something a bit smaller (TOTL custom IEM).

However, could a TOTL custom IEM compare (or best) the LCD-XC (in both sound and isolation)? Isolation is important, but I also don't want to downgrade audio-wise. Just curious for input from those with the experience to know. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #47 of 379
Well, I don't think you can ever find a performance like the XC gives you in IEM size. Over ears always gonna win with their performance for the  price. I do think many IEM's are overpriced for what they give, but that's todays market at the moment. I hope the prices will be toned down a little but looks like it's not gonna happen soon.

Anyway, you can look upon the Oriolus. Best IEM I've experienced so far but like I told you, never expect something like LCD XC from any IEM.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #48 of 379
Thanks for the honest reply Virtu. I've never used IEMs (unless cheap earbuds count
tongue.gif
), much less TOTL ones so I had no idea what to expect. I guess everything has trade-offs. I'll continue to read the reviews with my newly tempered expectations. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #49 of 379
  I was curious the other night, so I pulled out my Kaede V1s and gave them a quick listen.  I preferred dynamic drivers for some time, but was seduced by the Shure 846 (with Sensaphonics full custom sleeves), then a series of acrylic customs, ending with the Empire Ears Athenas, with the "R" tuning....

So, the Kaedes freaked me out with their natural bass and the slam and wallop they have-and tremendous macrodynamics.....  They can get a touch bite-y in the upper mids, but I was digging them.  So, I also got out my Ditas and, likewise, they reminded me how much I value coherence, and really love what dds do for drums and bass......

Bought a pair of UM Merlin V2s, and really like them.  Problem is, with my large and very curved ear canals, fit and seal is an issue, and I use iems for walking quite a bit, and have gotten spoiled by a good fitting ciem not needing to be prodded from time to time to get the seal and sound 'just so'.

All that said, I have heard a lot about the Oriolus and ordered a pair which have not arrived yet, since Amazon and UPS cannot explain whether they have really even shipped, or where they are, even though there is tracking info on the UPS web site.  So......

Should I just take a refund, or should I try to (re)order the Oriolus?  Should I try the Fidue A91s, which do not seem to be orderable from a USA vendor?  Should I try to get a pair of custom AAW A1D?   I want real dynamics (the volume swoings, no thte driver category), natural timbre and coherence - to be left in the presence of the musical performance-not the artificial hifi stuff......  The Kaedes made me spin my head around thinking someone was behind me talking to me (audience mumbling in a live recording)-- THAT's what I want, and it comes from proper phase response-i.e., time coherence.  I listen to lots of acoustic jazz, but also prog rock and nu metal....

Your thoughts/recommendations?

Well, my thoughts are KSE1500 with Sensaphonics shells (you can also use 846 shells but be careful, they're a bit loose). 

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #50 of 379
  Well, my thoughts are KSE1500 with Sensaphonics shells (you can also use 846 shells but be careful, they're a bit loose). 

Mine fit quite snugly- if the 1500s had the bass wallop I am looking for, it would be a done deal......   The 846s respond well to the Knowles dampers that have been suggested as well.  I chased them around my table and on the floor several times until I got them inserted into slices of wire insulation (I have partially numb/partially really sore tip of my right index finger-electric hedge clipper incident)....

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #53 of 379

Hello Head Fi'ers.

I've prepared a table which contains several IEM's that I had a chance to test. I tried my best to give the most accurate scores but of course I might've been wrong on some of them. Feel free to object.

The average scores don't mean too much. They are there to put up a ranking.

The list can get longer as I listen to more IEM's.

Thanks for looking!
 ​

​

What about Campfire Audio? Jomo Audio?

Oct 4, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #55 of 379
  Never listened to them I'm afraid.

...Still, thank you for the compilation and for sharing that. From your list I ilke the Westones and the Nobles. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #56 of 379
Am I the only one who thinks "tonality*" depends on a personal preference (it will help no one), "fit" is also personal and "build" points are completely wrong? 

I mean Angie V1 and Layla V1's build is 9.5 but AK T8iE is 8, K10U is 9, Adel U12 is 7. This doesn't seem wrong to anyone?
I know TG334 is a nice piece of craftsmanship but 10 for an acrylic IEM? Whooaa... 
biggrin.gif

if I'm not wrong "control" means also "speed/timing". Well, Rosie is the fastest IEM I've ever heard. 6. K10 feels a little congested on fast recordings. 8.

*Sometimes tonality means natural. I don't think this is the case here. I don't know about others but K10 isn't the most natural monitor, it has a smooth, nice and a musical sound. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #57 of 379
Tonality is not a preference, at least in my list. Thinking that it won't help anybody is your opinion, you can totally skip the tonality column if you desire.

Have you personally experienced those IEM's you mentioned?

Control is how unagressive they're, and how they can control the peaks, it's not speed or timing.

You can figure it out that way, like tonality success means how natural they are. But at the same time naturality depends on other factors such as balance, bass presence or all frequencies as a whole. Of course tonality plays a big role on that, so it's maybe a little more important then other factors regarding naturality.

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #60 of 379
Tonality is not a preference, at least in my list. Thinking that it won't help anybody is your opinion, you can totally skip the tonality column if you desire.

Have you personally experienced those IEM's you mentioned?

Control is how unagressive they're, and how they can control the peaks, it's not speed or timing.

You can figure it out that way, like tonality success means how natural they are. But at the same time naturality depends on other factors such as balance, bass presence or all frequencies as a whole. Of course tonality plays a big role on that, so it's maybe a little more important then other factors regarding naturality.

I hope you do realize that what you say bears a lot of subjectivity, to say the least.
Personal preferences and pairing will do or undo ratings like the ones in the table above.

I have owned or extensively tested half of the IEMs in the table and depending on the signature that each one is after, these ratings have little to high significance. Even focusing purely on bass for lovers of big headphones, I respectfully disagree about the ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back