IEM Score List 2023 - What's Your Favorite IEM?
Sep 4, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #31 of 379
I meant for each category. For example what separates an 8.5 mid FR from a 9 mid FR? What does an 8 for tonality mean?

Sent from my E5803 using a highly trained, special forces carrier pigeon

It means it's an 8 points out of 10 for example.

Interesting thread here :)

My personal favourite iem used to be oriolus and k10u, then now it may be shift to Katana. I think you really need to Katana to the list!
wink.gif

Hopefully I can listen to it mate

Sep 4, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #32 of 379
I meant for each category. For example what separates an 8.5 mid FR from a 9 mid FR? What does an 8 for tonality mean?

It means it's an 8 points out of 10 for example.

Interesting thread here :)

My personal favourite iem used to be oriolus and k10u, then now it may be shift to Katana. I think you really need to Katana to the list!
wink.gif

Hopefully I can listen to it mate

Yes, but what is the metric you are using to separate an 8 from an 8.5? Is it completely arbitrary?

Sep 4, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #33 of 379
Hmm, interesting. I don't think you can measure such a thing. If the tonality on a IEM is slightly better than another, that would be 0.5 point more. Of course I don't claim like I give the most perfectly accurate scores. I tried to do best I can but it's really tough to put a table like this, there's no way it could be perfectly correct. Personal experiences may vary.

Sep 4, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #34 of 379
Hmm, interesting. I don't think you can measure such a thing. If the tonality on a IEM is slightly better than another, that would be 0.5 point more. Of course I don't claim like I give the most perfectly accurate scores. I tried to do best I can but it's really tough to put a table like this, there's no way it could be perfectly correct. Personal experiences may vary.

Okay, understood. That's what I was trying to get at... So they are ranked against each other in subjective quality in half point steps. That makes sense.

Would you mind sharing your listening preferences so I could get an idea of how applicable this table is to me? For example, you may prefer more gain in the treble frequencies, where as I might not... So I would know to take that category with a grain of salt.

Sep 4, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #35 of 379
Okay, understood. That's what I was trying to get at... So they are ranked against each other in subjective quality in half point steps. That makes sense.

Would you mind sharing your listening preferences so I could get an idea of how applicable this table is to me? For example, you may prefer more gain in the treble frequencies, where as I might not... So I would know to take that category with a grain of salt.

Ok cool. I prefer somewhat a warm sound signature with slightly laid back treble. Also I prefer a sufficient soundstage. If it's narrow it doesn't give me too much pleasure regardless of the tonality, freq response or resolution etc.

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #37 of 379
Anyone who would like to put some review links of the IEM's on the table, feel free to share!

Savanna review is online today at here: http://www.headfonia.com/review-noble-savanna-special/

I can attach the links on first post.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #40 of 379
Sep 9, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #41 of 379
Nice review again man, enjoyed reading it. Just wondering why you didn't include any comparisons in the last two reviews? Comparisons are the most fun part for me to read and write!
Thanks Nick. I don't have IEM's to compare directly right now but I'll try to inlude some comparisons in the next review, which is gonna be the Martian from Unique Melody.

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #43 of 379
I was curious the other night, so I pulled out my Kaede V1s and gave them a quick listen.  I preferred dynamic drivers for some time, but was seduced by the Shure 846 (with Sensaphonics full custom sleeves), then a series of acrylic customs, ending with the Empire Ears Athenas, with the "R" tuning....

So, the Kaedes freaked me out with their natural bass and the slam and wallop they have-and tremendous macrodynamics.....  They can get a touch bite-y in the upper mids, but I was digging them.  So, I also got out my Ditas and, likewise, they reminded me how much I value coherence, and really love what dds do for drums and bass......

Bought a pair of UM Merlin V2s, and really like them.  Problem is, with my large and very curved ear canals, fit and seal is an issue, and I use iems for walking quite a bit, and have gotten spoiled by a good fitting ciem not needing to be prodded from time to time to get the seal and sound 'just so'.

All that said, I have heard a lot about the Oriolus and ordered a pair which have not arrived yet, since Amazon and UPS cannot explain whether they have really even shipped, or where they are, even though there is tracking info on the UPS web site.  So......

Should I just take a refund, or should I try to (re)order the Oriolus?  Should I try the Fidue A91s, which do not seem to be orderable from a USA vendor?  Should I try to get a pair of custom AAW A1D?   I want real dynamics (the volume swoings, no thte driver category), natural timbre and coherence - to be left in the presence of the musical performance-not the artificial hifi stuff......  The Kaedes made me spin my head around thinking someone was behind me talking to me (audience mumbling in a live recording)-- THAT's what I want, and it comes from proper phase response-i.e., time coherence.  I listen to lots of acoustic jazz, but also prog rock and nu metal....

Your thoughts/recommendations?

Sep 10, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #44 of 379
Well, Orilous is probably the best IEM I've heard. Since I started to listen some hybrid IEM's, they got my attention over the multi BA's. I think a good tuned hybrid sounds more natural and authentic.

I think you should get the Oriolus. You won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back