IEM Recommendation
Jul 24, 2017 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ShabtabQ

100+ Head-Fier
I would like any knowledgeable person to help me choose an IEM, I've been looking foreward to the following IEM's, I prefer a balanced sound mostly listen to pop so which one has the best price to sound ratio and would be the go for me, the more pricey the more time it'll take for me to buy so in this situation what should I go for, And currently I'm having Brainwavz M1, so getting which one of these would be considered as an upgrade. Thank you so much and here is the list.

1. Soundmagic E10C
2. Vsonic VSD1S
3. 1More Single Driver
4. RHA-S500
5. Beyerdynamic Byron
6. Fiio EX1-Gen2
7. HifiMan RE-400.

Jul 24, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 4
I personally like the Byron and the E10C at their price points. For me, it is a toss-up between those two. I also like the RHA, but not as much. Have not heard the 1More Single, so can't comment sorry. Just do not know about it.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 4
Etymotic ER6 has the flattest response graph. However note that measurements are done in a lab, so if you take an Etymotic out into an area where there is still a lot of noise, even if enough of it is blocked b the eartip so cranking it all up isn't necessary, there is still a noise floor that will mask the lower freqs. This is why people in meets and trade shows or even those who bought them (and then tried them in an Asian or American metro system) can barely hear any bass, unlike how a similar response on the HE400i would have more balanced bass in a quiet room.

I'm not a fan of the ergonomics on those either but that's more because I only really like IEM shells that rest flush and have the cable going up, around, then down the earlobe.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 4
If you can push up your budget a bit, I vote RHA MA750s (your pick of with or without mic). These things are my babies. Tight and punchy bass that's moderately loud but not overbearing, clean (if ever so slightly recessed) mids, and a creamy treble range which can get slightly sibilant at times but usually only happens in tracks that aren't mastered very well. These are incredibly versatile and work even better for pop music (they have a very "pop" like sound signature, like a more well-rounded v-shape). They're also very kind with EQ, while many IEMs tend to sound worse after running them through EQ, the MA750s handle EQ pretty well, so if you don't like how they sound even after being burnt in you can use EQ and they'll still sound great. With Comply tips they isolate incredibly well and are amazingly comfortable. The over-ear style takes a little time to get used to but it makes them really comfortable once you're used to it and it makes microphonics non-existent. I personally really love these and considering they go for only around $120 they're hard to beat.
These are a MASSIVE improvement over anything in the sub-$100 range and are definitely worth the extra cash IMO. Frankly, it's hard to beat these even when going up in price to $200 and up (I didn't find a noticable improvement until I got in the $300 range with Sennheiser IE80s, but that's partially due to my tastes in how I like my sound).

You should seriously consider the RHA MA750s If you are able to push up your budget slightly, even if it means waiting longer than you were expecting. It is definitely worth it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back