IEM Recomendation (Isolation and comfort)
Feb 1, 2011 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Das Mookid

Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new pair of IEMs for use while I travel. My work requires that I do a lot of flying, so I am looking for something with solid audio performance, comfortable for use a few hours at a time, and - most importantly - with a high degree of isolation. I am aware that isolation will depend partially on tip type, but from the few IEMs I have tried I have found that the unit housing itself also has a substantial impact. Many universal IEM vendors also use their own proprietary tip materials as well.

My budget is in the $150 to $250 range, the lower the better obviously.I don't think I have the ears many on these boards claim to, so audio performance wise I am fine with low/mid fi performance, but I really want to be able to block out the sound of the airplane/baby crying on long flights.

I have a D10 cobra DAC/AMP, but I would prefer to not carry it on the plane, so source wise they need to fair OK direct from my Zune HD.

A few I am currently looking at:

Klipsch x5/x10 (how big is the difference?) ~$150/$250 at Amazon
Ultimate Ears triple-fi 10 ~$185 at Amazon

Any recommendations / feedback would be most welcome!

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 13
Feb 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 13
x2 for Ety Er4P ! Isolation with double flange tips is excellent. Sound great and highly detailed.

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 13
Wow, 3 posts of agreement in a row - this must be some kind of head-fi record
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback! Amazon has the ER-4P listed for $245 - is this a decent enough deal?

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 13
I think your X10 idea was a good one.  I fly all the time and in man cases long bloody flights, and the X10s are as comfortable as they come.   May not have the best isolation, albeit good enough for me, but they sure sound good and feel so comfortable.

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 13
ER-4P has the best isolation, but the X5/X10's have some of the most comfortable tips. They isolate very well, but not as much as ER-4P's. X10 is warmer with much more bass. X5 and ER-4P are more neutral.

Also, the X5 and X10 can be fit with foam tips (such as Shure olives) for increased isolation.

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 13
OP price range was up to 250, no?

but yes, you can sometimes get ER4P for less than 245 online. also,
if you consider buying gently used, you'll find deals here and elsewhere.

as for the x10, I never heard it but it can be had from headroom as b stock:
X10i w/new Comply eartips included [LIKE-NEW / Open Box] - $199

my recommendation at your price range remains the er4p: they sound
great, live long, are comfy and isolating & have great customer support.

of course, I say that because I have them! :)

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 13
X5s isolate well with the Bi Flange gels. Im pretty sure the X10s use the same gels. Deep insertion and comfortable.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #10 of 13
Appreciate all the suggestions, ended up ordering ER-4P from Amazon for just under $250. Got them yesterday and have been very impressed by the isolation. I find the default triple flange to be quite good, didn't have quite as good a seal with the glider or foam - I'm probably having issues getting them inserted correctly.

I see on the box you can get custom fits done for another $100, very nice option. Has anyone here done this?

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #13 of 13
Just wanted to thank you guys again! Took them on the on their inaugaral flights last week and have to say these really block the sound exceptionally well. VERY impressed with the detailed sound too.

I see there's another dedicated ER-4 appreciate thread, so I am going to move on over there for any questions I have going forward about these, but I just wanted to voice my appreciation for the recomendations here. Made a world of difference on the flight, and I am currently enjoying the heck out of them at work right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back