IEM for under $200
May 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mzangus

New Head-Fier
I am currently a user of the Apple Earpods, but I want to upgrade to something much better, while staying under $200 (currently using an iPod Touch 5)

What I am looking for:
  1. Great build quality (to last me a couple years)
  2. Very low leakage, preferably none at all
  3. Comfort
  4. Must sound good with rock such as Queen, Def Leppard, Journey, etc
  5. Something that will stay in my ears while running

Thanks for reading

May 12, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 8
First off - just in case you haven't noticed, you can ask questions on here as well - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-279-iems-compared-audio-technica-ckm500-added-05-01-13-p-678

While you have the practicality front covered, perhaps you could specify a bit more in terms of actual sound characteristics, so we can narrow something down more easily? While genres are helpful, ultimately we can value different presentations of said genres, from person to person. Specifying sound signature, any particular characteristic/aspect you prioritize and take your time to listen for during said genres, would be very, very helpful in the long run.

May 12, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks, for the tips, I'm new to the site and don't really know my way around. If it helps, I'm mostly looking for something with very good mid-range, with highs and lows that don't lack. I'm not looking for a pair that has booming bass, but I still would like it to be there. Have a nice day!

May 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Thanks, for the tips, I'm new to the site and don't really know my way around. If it helps, I'm mostly looking for something with very good mid-range, with highs and lows that don't lack. I'm not looking for a pair that has booming bass, but I still would like it to be there. Have a nice day!

Good mids, present treble and bass - that's still not very specific - basically it sounds like you want everything under the sun, and things usually don't work out to be that idealistic. 

I know I'm sounding a bit pushy but it really makes it difficult to narrow something down if one doesn't go into specifics. You needn't be in-tune with the jargon around here, just put in your best effort. I could go and recommend something generic like the RE-400, GR07, or the BA-200, something that covers all the bases, but that might still be not as satisfactory as if you developed/stated your tastes and got something really befitting.

Although, you could try out the above choices to get your feet wet, definitely.

May 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 8
Good mids, present treble and bass - that's still not very specific - basically it sounds like you want everything under the sun, and things usually don't work out to be that idealistic. 

I know I'm sounding a bit pushy but it really makes it difficult to narrow something down if one doesn't go into specifics. You needn't be in-tune with the jargon around here, just put in your best effort. I could go and recommend something generic like the RE-400, GR07, or the BA-200, something that covers all the bases, but that might still be not as satisfactory as if you developed/stated your tastes and got something really befitting.

Although, you could try out the above choices to get your feet wet, definitely.
Sorry, I'm not really looking for anything specific, just as long as they have the attributes I listed above. I will check out the products you mentioned, and again, thank you!

May 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 8
Shure SE425, Hippo ProOne, Fischer audio DBA-02 MKII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back