IEM for rock and metal
Jan 1, 2014 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

mtldrm22

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am new to this site, so I am not sure if I posting this in the right section.  I am looking for good IEM for listening to mainly hard rock and heavy metal.  Some of the bands I listen to are Killswitch Engage, Metallica, Dream Theater, Breaking Benjamin, Tool.  I currently have been using Klipsch s4 which a really like but the one of the cables are getting loose and  I am looking to upgrade.  My budget is between $40 and $60 (I could spend a little more if need be).  I also just bough a pair of the Brainwavz M2 but they sound too bassy and pretty muffled.  I like some bass but clear mids and highs.  I have been reading a lot of reviews of the Vsonic IEMs and I am pretty interest in trying some but I am not sure which would be the best for my music type.  Also, I prefer IEMs that you can wear straight down and not over the ear.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 72
Tons of info here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-307-iems-compared-inear-stagediver-2-stagediver-3-added-12-23-13-p-829
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-final-update-march-1st-2013

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 72
Hi Billybob,

Thanks for there response.  I have looked through those links there but I am still having trouble deciding which IEM would be best for the genre of music I listen to.  Also, I mainly listen through an iPod and all my tracks are 320 kbps or higher.  Any other suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks!

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 72
A V shaped sig is more suited for rock and metal. (This is a general consensus and might not apply when considering individual preferences.) This should help you identify iems that would be suited to your taste when you read different review.

That said, for around 50$ the Vsonic VSD1 is a good choice and it has the right characteristics for metal. Slight exaggeration in the highs, not too V shaped, slight bass emphasis. Here is a review on them and the here is the VSD1/VSD1S/VSD1LE appreciation thread.
Also they are good all-rounders, so they should handle the other genres comfortably too.

One thing though. The VSD1 is an over the ear iem, although I believe they can be worn straight down too(channel switch). There is an image somewhere in that thread with the two wearing configurations demonstrated.

Hope I helped 
smile.gif
 enough to start your search. Let us know if you have any more thoughts.

And, welcome to Head-fi! Sorry for your wallet :p

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 72
Hi getclikinagas,

Thanks for the helpful information!  I would like an IEM that can be worn straight down.  The VSD1 looks like a good fit, but I still want to compare which IEM would be the best for me.  Also, most of the shops in my areas do you have any IEM on display so I will be unable to try them out.  I am really looking for suggestions  Are there any others you can recommend that would be similar the VSD1s?

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 72
Sandman,

I am having trouble finding reviews on the MDR EX310SL.   Are they an older model?  Do you know if they are good for listening to hard rock and fast metal?

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 72
Sorry man apparently I have made a great mistake, the ex310sl are an older model I thought they were the replacement model for the ex310lp.
Truly sorry for any confusion, but I would still check out the ex310sl,
redface.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 72
It looks like that link is for the EX310LP which look like the more expensive model and the EX310SL only got average reviews on Ala .  I really do not like J cables and do not understand what the point of them is.

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 72
  Hi getclikinagas,

Thanks for the helpful information!  I would like an IEM that can be worn straight down.  The VSD1 looks like a good fit, but I still want to compare which IEM would be the best for me.  Also, most of the shops in my areas do you have any IEM on display so I will be unable to try them out.  I am really looking for suggestions  Are there any others you can recommend that would be similar the VSD1s?

You're welcome
smile.gif
. I tried wearing my VSD1S cable down and I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. They have nozzles that swivel (to get the best fit).

Where are you located? Amazon has the Monster Gratitudes on sale. Keep in mind that these used to go for 230$ and recently they've gone crazy with their stock clearing by pricing it at 60$. They have quite a following on the "Discovery thread". And yes, these go cable down.

For slightly more you could consider the TDK IE800. And at the current 73$ price on amazon, I will strongly recommend it. It has the energetic treble and fast bass that would make it good for metal.

These are off the top of my head for under 70$. I'll get back to you if any more strike me.

PS: Always trust your ears the most. Read as many reviews as possible to get a general consensus on the sound sig. Never go by only one persons opinion. 
What did you like and dislike in the S4? That should help you analyse(via reviews) if the iem will suit you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back