IEM for rock and metal
Jan 31, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #31 of 72
So far the best experience I had with IEMs for rock/metal was the VC1000. Pretty balanced, fast tight bass with good impact, detailed and fatigue free. But it has a slight u shape too, I guess the FXT90 is more to a V shape.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #33 of 72
So far the best experience I had with IEMs for rock/metal was the VC1000. Pretty balanced, fast tight bass with good impact, detailed and fatigue free. But it has a slight u shape too, I guess the FXT90 is more to a V shape.

Do the VC1000 have more bass impact then the FXT90s?  I am pretty disappointed on the lack of bass on the FTX90 even after burning them in for over 50 hours.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #36 of 72
  I find rock/metal difficult to get right with IEMs or even full sized headphones for that matter. However, I always choose my TF10s as they actually sound great with that type of music and pretty much everything else - but they are the metal masters. But be warned, they are known to force involuntary air guitar which can make you look pretty stupid in public.

Are there any other IEM for under $100 that you can recommend for rock/metal that have a good bass punch, clear highs and mids and are not too fatiguing?

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #37 of 72
K323 XS
http://us.akg.com/tl_files/catalog//AKG/AKG/Spec%20sheet/In-Ear/K323/Specification%20Sheet%20%20K323%20XS%20(English).pdf

This is the only review I could find for it, but it does mention a V-shaped sound signature and it is within your budget range.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685312/new-akg-k323-xs  

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #38 of 72
Well, personally, I've had a great experience with the Shure 215-SL, and the MEElectronics A161P.

Believe it or not, the MEElectronics, a lesser known brand I might add, provide a more accurate sound than the Shures, though if you want "Sound enhancement" as in the higher bass, more emphasis on certain aspects of metal music, go with the Shures. For an accurate listening experience, crisp sound, excellent clarity, a selection of tips, and, not to do the bass in these a grave injustice, the A161P bass is very punchy and tight with very good depth and body. It's very pleasing! It is able present proper weight to instruments and voices with convincing texture, and, really, the A161P is a "Neutral" IEM. It will perform well with whatever genre is thrown at it, though, the Shures just seem to have the edge with heavier music. In the end, I recommend either one of these, but give a moderate edge to the A161P.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #39 of 72

I find rock/metal difficult to get right with IEMs or even full sized headphones for that matter. However, I always choose my TF10s as they actually sound great with that type of music and pretty much everything else - but they are the metal masters. But be warned, they are known to force involuntary air guitar which can make you look pretty stupid in public.

Are there any other IEM for under $100 that you can recommend for rock/metal that have a good bass punch, clear highs and mids and are not too fatiguing?

Over Christmas I just bought some refurbished Monster Turbine Coppers directly from their outlet store for $100 (http://monsterproducts.com/outletstore/linelist.asp). They only show up from time to time and disappear quickly, but I heard about them on the deals thread. It's worth keeping an eye out for them. They are top rated IEMs and also sound really good with metal with have better bass but are smoother than the TF10s for a different result. BTW, they sent me full retail versions, not refurbished and this is common according to the thread.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #40 of 72
I suggest the VSD1. It's supposed to have 80% of GR07's SQ for a much lower price. The GR07's has good highs, mids and lows and is suitable for all types of music genres. You can't go wrong with them.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #41 of 72
  Well, personally, I've had a great experience with the Shure 215-SL, and the MEElectronics A161P.

Believe it or not, the MEElectronics, a lesser known brand I might add, provide a more accurate sound than the Shures, though if you want "Sound enhancement" as in the higher bass, more emphasis on certain aspects of metal music, go with the Shures. For an accurate listening experience, crisp sound, excellent clarity, a selection of tips, and, not to do the bass in these a grave injustice, the A161P bass is very punchy and tight with very good depth and body. It's very pleasing! It is able present proper weight to instruments and voices with convincing texture, and, really, the A161P is a "Neutral" IEM. It will perform well with whatever genre is thrown at it, though, the Shures just seem to have the edge with heavier music. In the end, I recommend either one of these, but give a moderate edge to the A161P.

The Shure 215s sound good to me because a like a little extra bass with a nice punch.  Are the Shures comfortable to wear for long periods of time and do you know if you can wear the them with the cables down, opposed to over the ear?

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #42 of 72
  The Shure 215s sound good to me because a like a little extra bass with a nice punch.  Are the Shures comfortable to wear for long periods of time and do you know if you can wear the them with the cables down, opposed to over the ear?

You can wear them with the cable down. The cable detaches completely, and replacements are cheap, so I've been more than a little rough on mine and they still work fine.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #43 of 72
The closest IEM that I could find the 215 SL was the SE 215.  Do you know if these are the same IEMs? 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392092848&sr=8-2&keywords=shure+215

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #44 of 72
The SE215-K is the black version and the SE215-CL is the clear/transparent edition. Only color difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back