iem for relaxing (sq-wise)
Feb 7, 2011 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

TheDreamthinker

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

As i am a relatively dreamy person, i am looking for an iem which has a relaxed (not recessed) sound.
I'll use it for going to sleep, in the bus or at home.

It should have a focus on mid-range and vocals (not over-emphasized though).
Folk, Easy listening, Jack Johnson, Whisper Rock (Joshua Radin), Acoustic, New Age but also Rap and Alternative.
As for rap, the bass should be strong and deep but not hinder anything else.

Pricerange: 150$

Thanks for your kind help,

-The Dreamthinker

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 34
IE7

I listen to similar genres as you. IE7 has wonderful mids that are detailed, forward, but still relaxed and smooth. They do wonders for vocals and acoustic guitars, but it still has strong, deep bass when it's needed.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 34

Quote:
Sleek sa6, I know it's outdated but there's been some good prices recently if you can find them.

Quote:
Earsonics SM2 would be the best option. 

Sorry, a bit out of my price range.

where did u guys see the cheap offers and how much?

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 34
Look into some used UM2's.

Yes, I know that new would be out of your price range, but right now you can get them for under $240 with the promotion at Earphone Solutions.

Just sayin'

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 34
They're on the cheap end, but do consider the Soundmagic PL50.

They're a mids-centric earphone, but in a good way. They sound very relaxing overall, without sacrificing on bass quantity (if youre not a bass head, the bass quantities on the PL50 won't induce headaches from overdone bass for example) and just losing that bit of treble sparkle to prevent that long listening fatigue to those who're more sensitive to the treble regions (eg me)

Even compared tot he 'higher' end Klipsch Custom 3, they have a very buttery-smooth sound that makes it worth picking up a lot (maybe sometimes more often than the KC3) since the mids are just so engaging. IMO, Shure's line from the SE420 has a lot to learn from the PL50, and my experience from their line were the SE420, E4, E3 and E2 (E4s were decent, E3 and E2 were nothing to write home about, esp. for their cost).

Top top it off, their build quality is very decent from what I can see, and their very dimunitive size causes little fit problems, plus they come with foam tips for very good isolation and comfort to boot =)

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 34
Have you looked up the Westone 1? Comparison's to the 2 which I do own lead me to think it'd be good for you. I'm quite a fan of Beyerdynamic iem's at that price point but they are a bit lean for a lot of tastes. Failing that something from Head-direct IME, is a pretty safe bet.

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 34
Being a very limited head-fi'er and audiophile (stock HTC buds, basic Sony IEM's, Monster Turbines, Head-Direct RE-ZERO, Brainwavz ProAlpha's) I'm not really in a great position to recommend but I feel I should speak up for the RE-ZERO a little here.

A very capable set of earphones with a sound signature that melted me away and with Comply foamies or a small tip, I could insert them into my ears and lie on my side reasonably comfortably. Whilst I'd not recommend Comply tips as for me they massacred the highs from the RE-ZERO, they were the ultimate in comfort.

The RE-ZERO lacks bass. That being said, I personally didn't miss it all that much in most tracks I listened to. They are very easy to drive, I used my HTC HD2 without issue with them and a simple Fiio E5 with Bass Boost can do very good things with the bass levels if they aren't to your tastes.

Recently I've had a few deep relaxing sessions just laying on the bed with my RE-ZERO's in my ears, cycling through the couple of hundred songs I have on my phone from a wide variety of genres.

The sound signature isn't for everyone but I love it for most of my songs. Sometimes when I'm in need of a bit of an energy boost, I miss the bass but most of the time I was never found wanting.

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 34
Bass, for me is quiet/very important, i listen a lot to rap.
And rap with no bass is......rap losses a lot of itself without bass.

But still thanks for your recommendation
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back