IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jul 2, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #1,936 of 2,102
Do you use them while walking or only while still at desk/home or so? I've really read some reviews saying they were impractical to use while walking. But I can ask in the Ety motic thread of course.

Regarding the graph, what I liked when I had the N3, more than the sound signature (which is an bit of an obscure concept to me to be honest), was how detailed the sound was compared to the average 50$ Sennheiser/Shure you usually see in retail shops. And it's that detail that I would like to keep or improve with my next purchase.
I only use them while sitting still on the couch.

Jul 3, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #1,937 of 2,102
Do you use them while walking or only while still at desk/home or so? I've really read some reviews saying they were impractical to use while walking. But I can ask in the Ety motic thread of course.

Regarding the graph, what I liked when I had the N3, more than the sound signature (which is an bit of an obscure concept to me to be honest), was how detailed the sound was compared to the average 50$ Sennheiser/Shure you usually see in retail shops. And it's that detail that I would like to keep or improve with my next purchase.
A dumb question: You said you use them for walking commuting- why not Bluetooth buds? Before I get thumbs down, an iem is better for sure (at least when you spend a little more on them), but when I'm walking inside or outside the house, stand up in the morning and don't want to deal with cables and I can't focus on the music 100% i use my BT ones. I was really impressed how good the sound-quality can be on them in the year 2023, at least with LDAC...

Jul 3, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #1,938 of 2,102
Кто-нибудь слушал Penon 10th anniversary, потому что я видел обзоры tonedeafmonk и akros, и мне действительно интересен этот, но я не уверен, подходит ли он для металла (melodeath), для чего-то вроде Metallica tdm сказали "да".. спасибо!!
Завтра я заберу 10-ю, исходную модель hiby R6 pro II...

Jul 3, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #1,939 of 2,102
Завтра я заберу 10-ю, исходную модель hiby R6 pro II...
Very funny how google translater changed the meaning of my post lol

Jul 3, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #1,942 of 2,102
Jul 3, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #1,944 of 2,102
A dumb question: You said you use them for walking commuting- why not Bluetooth buds? Before I get thumbs down, an iem is better for sure (at least when you spend a little more on them), but when I'm walking inside or outside the house, stand up in the morning and don't want to deal with cables and I can't focus on the music 100% i use my BT ones. I was really impressed how good the sound-quality can be on them in the year 2023, at least with LDAC...

well it might be 2023 but my habits are still in 2005... I listen to music on rockboxed sansa clip+ and I don't have a smartphone :)

anyway I just spent countless hours reading and re-reading reviews of IEMs listed on that great bullet-style IEM list. My conclusion:

- N3 seems hard to beat in that particular niche
- Final products don't seem well suited for rock/metal
- I saw a Campfire Comet I could get, but reviews aren't great either
- Etymotics ER2XR and ER4XR could be great sound-wise. Mixed reviews of daily usage outside though.

Others I had not considered yet but that are starting to get interesting if anyone knows anything about them:

- Periodic Audio Beryllium : seem great but the proprietary cable connection is a no-go unfortunately.
- Toneking Shockwave III : a bit old but seems to have gotten some rave reviews for rock/metal back then. Discontinued? I dont know, seems available on aliexpress
- Akoustyx S-6 : planar driver. I am intrigued. Might not be suited for metal though, but reviewers didn't seem to complain about them with heavy rock tracks.

Any last minute advice before I shell out $200?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #1,947 of 2,102
I took the Drop deal on the Akoustyx. $129. We'll see, it's cheap enough to give it a try :)
I highly recommend you cancel that...

graph - 2023-07-04T171511.353.png

graph - 2023-07-04T171553.238.png

You have like 10-15db more upper-mids/treble compared to the N3....

Jul 4, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #1,948 of 2,102
I highly recommend you cancel that...

graph - 2023-07-04T171511.353.png
graph - 2023-07-04T171553.238.png
You have like 10-15db more upper-mids/treble compared to the N3....
Wow! That looks bad. That’s crazy.

Jul 6, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #1,950 of 2,102
Squiglink is really a nice app. The function to auto eq one iem to another and export it to wavelet (although not correct cause of different driver and housing oc) is pretty useful to get at least an impression how another iem could sound. I'm sure some people here heard tons of headphones, see a graph and are able to say: this could be one for me, this one absolutely not, this is good for one genre or not (at least for themselves), but i'm not at this level yet that a graph is enough.

I read and saw a lot of reviews in the last months and often one reviewer says something completely different about the same headphone or iem than another reviewer. O.k.- they prefer different tuning or hear different genres, but I think there is something missing: How good is their hearing, I mean do they still hear all frequencies like a 20 year old with a good hearing or not. You can say: He is 20 or 40 or 60, so you can calculate that, but that's not true cause some with 50 have better hearing than a 20 year old. Maybe I want or hope for too much, and yes that's something private to share- but would be really cool to get a better assessment. I really don't know how it works outside of Europe, but here you can't go to a shop, listen to 30 different iems and decide what i like, so to come back to the topic- squiglink is cool :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back