IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jul 7, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #1,951 of 2,106
well it might be 2023 but my habits are still in 2005... I listen to music on rockboxed sansa clip+ and I don't have a smartphone :)

anyway I just spent countless hours reading and re-reading reviews of IEMs listed on that great bullet-style IEM list. My conclusion:

- N3 seems hard to beat in that particular niche
- Final products don't seem well suited for rock/metal
- I saw a Campfire Comet I could get, but reviews aren't great either
- Etymotics ER2XR and ER4XR could be great sound-wise. Mixed reviews of daily usage outside though.

Others I had not considered yet but that are starting to get interesting if anyone knows anything about them:

- Periodic Audio Beryllium : seem great but the proprietary cable connection is a no-go unfortunately.
- Toneking Shockwave III : a bit old but seems to have gotten some rave reviews for rock/metal back then. Discontinued? I dont know, seems available on aliexpress
- Akoustyx S-6 : planar driver. I am intrigued. Might not be suited for metal though, but reviewers didn't seem to complain about them with heavy rock tracks.

Any last minute advice before I shell out $200?

ok so after a several addtionnal hours of reviews perusal, I decided on the ER2XR (seems to have more bass than the ER4XR). It's not very expensive, worth a try, readily available. Worst case, it will be a good backup and I'll figure out a way to get another N3.

Thanks a lot everyone especially @RikudouGoku for your all your answers, help and recommendations!

Jul 7, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #1,952 of 2,106
ok so after a several addtionnal hours of reviews perusal, I decided on the ER2XR (seems to have more bass than the ER4XR). It's not very expensive, worth a try, readily available. Worst case, it will be a good backup and I'll figure out a way to get another N3.

Thanks a lot everyone especially @RikudouGoku for your all your answers, help and recommendations!

Good choice

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #1,954 of 2,106
Anyone tried the aful performer 8 amd the mest mkii?

Which is better for metal and speculially power metal?

Does the high mids sound thinner in those two?

Aug 2, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #1,955 of 2,106
well it might be 2023 but my habits are still in 2005... I listen to music on rockboxed sansa clip+ and I don't have a smartphone :)

anyway I just spent countless hours reading and re-reading reviews of IEMs listed on that great bullet-style IEM list. My conclusion:

- N3 seems hard to beat in that particular niche
- Final products don't seem well suited for rock/metal
- I saw a Campfire Comet I could get, but reviews aren't great either
- Etymotics ER2XR and ER4XR could be great sound-wise. Mixed reviews of daily usage outside though.

Others I had not considered yet but that are starting to get interesting if anyone knows anything about them:

- Periodic Audio Beryllium : seem great but the proprietary cable connection is a no-go unfortunately.
- Toneking Shockwave III : a bit old but seems to have gotten some rave reviews for rock/metal back then. Discontinued? I dont know, seems available on aliexpress
- Akoustyx S-6 : planar driver. I am intrigued. Might not be suited for metal though, but reviewers didn't seem to complain about them with heavy rock tracks.

Any last minute advice before I shell out $200?
1690961003137.png

Now, about IEMs for metal...
I have the SR5 and the Timeless OG and both do rock/metal very well.
I would say the SR5 sounds more full and more natural, has good separation, very good treble (might be a bit much with the wrong cable and tips), good mids and very good bass. The sound
The Timeless OG has a more clean sound, with more separation and bigger soundstage. I love both with metal, but the Timeless handles busier tracks better. It has a timber that is a bit metallic, that I don't think it's a problem for rock/metal, and that can be greatly improved with the right cable and tips.

You can also have a look to the Tangzu Zeitan Wu Heiday. It's also a planar IEM but tuned by HBB so it plays well is library, that has a lot of rock/metal.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,957 of 2,106
After spending all day listening to Iron Maiden on my Timeless, yeah, if someone needs a IEM to listen to heavy metal the 7Hz Timeless is still a great choice
I had the AE and thought it had too much bass. I ended up selling it, but I guess I should have just gotten the regular Timeless, and not the AE.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #1,962 of 2,106
Hi! Can you describe nyour experience with the performer 8 and the metal bands you listen to?
I’m not the best at describing sound, but the P8 are the most expensive and best sounding IEMs I’ve heard. I listen to mostly progressive metal like Haken, Between the Burried and Me, Meshuggah, Car Bomb, Opeth, and other stuff like that.

The P8 is pretty neutral sounding, but still fun enough. Tons of detail with a super crispy and extended treble. Super easy to power.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #1,963 of 2,106
I’m not the best at describing sound, but the P8 are the most expensive and best sounding IEMs I’ve heard. I listen to mostly progressive metal like Haken, Between the Burried and Me, Meshuggah, Car Bomb, Opeth, and other stuff like that.

The P8 is pretty neutral sounding, but still fun enough. Tons of detail with a super crispy and extended treble. Super easy to power.
Still about the P8, what about the bass?? It sounds almost perfect for me! I really love a well done treble!

My reference is the Timeless/S12! The way it sounds... detailed treble with a very enveloping bass...it`s just awesome for metal! I`m just searching for a iem that have that exact characteristics, but a mildly more meatier mids!

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #1,964 of 2,106
Still about the P8, what about the bass?? It sounds almost perfect for me! I really love a well done treble!

My reference is the Timeless/S12! The way it sounds... detailed treble with a very enveloping bass...it`s just awesome for metal! I`m just searching for a iem that have that exact characteristics, but a mildly more meatier mids!
I like the P8 a whole lot more than I liked the Timeless AE. I've never heard the OG Timeless or the S12. Everyones tastes are different, but for me the P8 is the most perfect sound I've heard in an IEM so far.

The P8 is quite a bit flatter than the Timeless and S12...
Image 8-3-23 at 11.27 PM.jpeg

Aug 11, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #1,965 of 2,106
To those who’ve tried the ier-m9 and u12t, which would you prefer for metal? Which had the better timbre?
I have had both but prefer the U12t over m9 without any doubt. Better definition, more kick and clarity.
Trio is also a great option to consider.
Ultimately it is a matter of personal taste, m9 are amazing IEMs but, comparatively, I found them lacking a bit of sparkle and air.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back