IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Aug 27, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #1,321 of 2,101
too sterile, bland,
but if you like the Mangird Tea,
it's a nice option,
Any iem that is in that ballpark that you recommend? I was looking at the Oracle, Dunu SA6 and the Moondrop Variations.
Also the UM Mest MKII, but it does not sell at aliexpress, so... it would be too difficult for me to acquire it!

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #1,322 of 2,101
$500 is in a weird spot right now, IMO. If you can bump it up to $700 you have the option of Clairvoyance(/Monarch) and Xenns UP and then at $900 the Nanna and Mest. If you can bump it down you have the UM 3DT and Mangird Tea and even 7HZ Timeless that could be the first decent planar. But I'm just not sure $500 is worth the extra cost over the ~$300 and less range...

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #1,324 of 2,101
Any iem that is in that ballpark that you recommend? I was looking at the Oracle, Dunu SA6 and the Moondrop Variations.
Also the UM Mest MKII, but it does not sell at aliexpress, so... it would be too difficult for me to acquire it!
I highly recommend getting the Mest Mk2 from Musictek,

https://www.musicteck.com/

if anything goes wrong they will take care of it,
Aliexpress on the other hand, meh.

Woah, didn't expect that. I was considering to buy it. How is RSV? Looking for somewhat an upgrade from LZ A7.
An upgrade would be the Moondrop Variations,

RSV is a safe iem, perfect tuning and tonality,
Similar setting on the LZ A7 would be
Gold filter - Monitor switch setting, if I'm not mistaken,
it's a non offensive iem, but I still recommend the Variations for a more flavourful experience,

Another safe iem would be the Dunu SA6,

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,325 of 2,101
I've settled on the audeze lcdi4 and couldnt be happier. Highly recommend.

Sep 8, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #1,327 of 2,101
This is the first time ive seen anyone mention the Mangird tea would be good for metal. Im interested in your opinion why do you think they would be good? Do you own them? Comparisons against others.
Im still saving my money and holding out for MEST MK2.
oh no,
you got me wrong,
I'm sorry for not phrasing it properly,

if you like the Tea, you would like the Oracle,
the Oracle have a similar tuning to the Mangird tea,
too sterile for metal, personally I don't like it,

yes, sold the Tea after a direct comparison with the cheaper Fiio FH3, I like it better,

Mest Mk2 is a great option,
another end game for metal maybe the Anole VX and U12T,
it's been a while, so finding a used one could be a good deal,

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #1,328 of 2,101
oh no,
you got me wrong,
I'm sorry for not phrasing it properly,

if you like the Tea, you would like the Oracle,
the Oracle have a similar tuning to the Mangird tea,
too sterile for metal, personally I don't like it,

yes, sold the Tea after a direct comparison with the cheaper Fiio FH3, I like it better,

Mest Mk2 is a great option,
another end game for metal maybe the Anole VX and U12T,
it's been a while, so finding a used one could be a good deal,
Thanks for clearing that up. 👍

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #1,329 of 2,101
Thanks for clearing that up. 👍
For metal I totally recommend the Mest (the OG or the MK2, both are great) over the U12t. I've had both, and while the U12t is technically wonderful and has a very pleasant tonality, I think it can get boring / unspectacular with metal music.
When I had to sell one of them I did not hesitate, since I used the Mest much more, and I sold the U12t.

But if you can keep both, they would be a very good option since they are quite complementary.

Sep 8, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #1,330 of 2,101
For metal I totally recommend the Mest (the OG or the MK2, both are great) over the U12t. I've had both, and while the U12t is technically wonderful and has a very pleasant tonality, I think it can get boring / unspectacular with metal music.
When I had to sell one of them I did not hesitate, since I used the Mest much more, and I sold the U12t.

But if you can keep both, they would be a very good option since they are quite complementary.
agreed, the U12T have that initials wow moment,
it's truly amazing,
but after a while, hmmm... I need more flavour...

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #1,331 of 2,101
Hi everyone, any suggest for a best sub 800$ for prog metal (like Haken, Sons of Apollo)? I have my eyes on Shuoer EJ07, EJ07M, Xenns Up, Penon Volt. I find some iems such as Blessing 2 a bit shouty to me. I am with Dunu Sa6, it's so good, but want to find a more excited iem. Thank you!!

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #1,332 of 2,101
Hi everyone, any suggest for a best sub 800$ for prog metal (like Haken, Sons of Apollo)? I have my eyes on Shuoer EJ07, EJ07M, Xenns Up, Penon Volt. I find some iems such as Blessing 2 a bit shouty to me. I am with Dunu Sa6, it's so good, but want to find a more excited iem. Thank you!!
EJ07M, 👍
it's a SA6 with added subbass rumble and top end treble extension, a bit bigger stage,
mid vocal energy is about the same,

Another one to add to your list would be the Unique Melody 3DT,

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,334 of 2,101

Xenns Up out of those, IMO. Has the best bass by far since the Shuoers roll off the mid bass too much. No idea about the Volt, though. It has a bit less treble than the B2 but honestly even the B2's treble isn't too crazy so you still might find it "shouty" though with the ESTs it will sound more whispy which you might not find as harsh sounding.

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #1,335 of 2,101
Thank you, and yes i am considering 3DT too.
You will definitely find the 3DT too shouty. Strongly don't recommend you consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back