IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Sep 10, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,336 of 2,092
For metal I totally recommend the Mest (the OG or the MK2, both are great) over the U12t. I've had both, and while the U12t is technically wonderful and has a very pleasant tonality, I think it can get boring / unspectacular with metal music.
When I had to sell one of them I did not hesitate, since I used the Mest much more, and I sold the U12t.

But if you can keep both, they would be a very good option since they are quite complementary.
Thanks for the reply
I either am or have considered purchasing many of the items in your signature. Good taste I guess.
How do you find the DX300 synergizes with the MEST?

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,337 of 2,092
I highly recommend getting the Mest Mk2 from Musictek,

https://www.musicteck.com/

if anything goes wrong they will take care of it,
Aliexpress on the other hand, meh.

An upgrade would be the Moondrop Variations,

RSV is a safe iem, perfect tuning and tonality,
Similar setting on the LZ A7 would be
Gold filter - Monitor switch setting, if I'm not mistaken,
it's a non offensive iem, but I still recommend the Variations for a more flavourful experience,

Another safe iem would be the Dunu SA6,
The MEST MK2 is very interesting

But I wonder if MusicTeck pays the import fees for someone or not.

Sep 10, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,338 of 2,092
Thanks for the reply
I either am or have considered purchasing many of the items in your signature. Good taste I guess.
How do you find the DX300 synergizes with the MEST?
Best DAP I have tested. It does very good synergy with the 3 IEMs that I currently have.
And if you have headphones that need power, it may surprise you, as it moves them perfectly (a friend has the HD800S and prefers the sound of the DX300 to his Topping combo).

I'm thinking of selling the Clairvoyance or the Isabellae. I love both, but they are very very similar (Clairvoyance has more sub, Isabellae has more bass, otherwise almost identical).

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,339 of 2,092
Tansio Mirai Land + HanSound Nyx

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #1,340 of 2,092
To those who like the musicality and coherence of a good DD, with one of the best tonalities I have heard, and a lot of detail, I recommend the Oriolus Isabellae.
Lately it is the IEM that I use the most, because it is also the most comfortable I have. I have tried to listen with it from the slowest and softest metal, to the fastest and most technical, and it is incredible what a single DD can give.

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #1,341 of 2,092
To those who like the musicality and coherence of a good DD, with one of the best tonalities I have heard, and a lot of detail, I recommend the Oriolus Isabellae.
Lately it is the IEM that I use the most, because it is also the most comfortable I have. I have tried to listen with it from the slowest and softest metal, to the fastest and most technical, and it is incredible what a single DD can give.
It is pretty good with the fairly well recorded stuff, but the bestial and kult metal genres just sounds bad with Isabellae, then again those metal genres sound bad with most iems

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #1,342 of 2,092
I'm hesitant about expecting a single DD to perform well enough across bass and treble for metal... seems to me you need at least one DD for bass and mids and one DD tweeter for the treble to really get enough details across the whole frequency for most metal music.

Sep 13, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #1,343 of 2,092
I'm hesitant about expecting a single DD to perform well enough across bass and treble for metal... seems to me you need at least one DD for bass and mids and one DD tweeter for the treble to really get enough details across the whole frequency for most metal music.
I'm not saying that's incorrect, but I have not come across that from a good quality single DD. If anything, a single DD can bring all the instruments together in a lovely cohesive package, without multi driver playing against each other

Sep 13, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #1,344 of 2,092
I have tested IEMs with a large number of drivers. I have had, apart from the ones I have now, the U12t, Solaris, FH7 ... I assure you that the Isabellae performs as well or better than them in the technical part (except perhaps the U12t), and much better than them in tonality.

For me it is above the Clairvoyance (which has a large number of drivers) in tonality, and very similar in technicalities.

I only keep the Mest above, which for me is still unsurpassed for metal.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #1,345 of 2,092
I have tested IEMs with a large number of drivers. I have had, apart from the ones I have now, the U12t, Solaris, FH7 ... I assure you that the Isabellae performs as well or better than them in the technical part (except perhaps the U12t), and much better than them in tonality.

For me it is above the Clairvoyance (which has a large number of drivers) in tonality, and very similar in technicalities.

I only keep the Mest above, which for me is still unsurpassed for metal.
Dang I realize everyday I need a MEST.

I see you have the MEST with the ibasso dx300.

How is that combo ?

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #1,346 of 2,092
VE Elysium EXT = 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #1,347 of 2,092
Dang I realize everyday I need a MEST.

I see you have the MEST with the ibasso dx300.

How is that combo ?
For me it is a perfect combination. The DX300 has a warm sound with analog touches, which comes in handy for an IEM with as much energy in the treble zone as the Mest.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #1,348 of 2,092
There are many iems that are good or great for metal, plus there is the sound preference of each individual. For my preference the best iem for metal is JH Audio Roxanne. I had UM mest first version and UM Mentor V3 and Empire Ears Valkirie and Campfire Andromeda plus other high end iems and none of them sounds as good as Roxanne for metal for my preference

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #1,350 of 2,092
Well, that's what it's all about in this hobby ...
There is no IEM that is the best for one type of music or another. There is simply a preferred IEM for one person's taste, and another IEM for another person.
And that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back