IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Apr 12, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #1,081 of 2,106
Which IEMs you could recommend for Prog/Metal/Post-Rock? Maximum budget 500€>

Apr 12, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #1,082 of 2,106
Currently, my favorite IEM period is my UM 3DT, including for all metal genres. It is well within your price range.

I also really like the very versatile LZ A7 for metal. It’s main weakness is timbre with certain acoustic instruments, like violins, but that is only if you are sensitive to it.

I haven’t heard it yet, but in that price range, I would also seriously look into the Dunu EST112. Dual side coated beryllium DD, and an EST tribrid, that is relatively affordable. Thread 'DUNU releases EST 112, a triple hybrid in-ear with dual electrostatic tweeters'

The FiiO FD3 has also been quite popular, but I also haven’t listened to it myself.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #1,083 of 2,106
Also Fearless S8P and TSMR5 sounds good with metal

Apr 12, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,084 of 2,106
Currently, my favorite IEM period is my UM 3DT, including for all metal genres. It is well within your price range.

I also really like the very versatile LZ A7 for metal. It’s main weakness is timbre with certain acoustic instruments, like violins, but that is only if you are sensitive to it.

I haven’t heard it yet, but in that price range, I would also seriously look into the Dunu EST112. Dual side coated beryllium DD, and an EST tribrid, that is relatively affordable. Thread 'DUNU releases EST 112, a triple hybrid in-ear with dual electrostatic tweeters'

The FiiO FD3 has also been quite popular, but I also haven’t listened to it myself.
Thanks. The UM 3DT it's beautiful and quite unique with 3 DD. A bit concerned with the shell size.

The EST112 is getting excellent reviews and it seems to work well with every genre.

To be honest the LZ A7 got my attention just for the fact I have a few IMR IEMs which also have tuning filters.

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,085 of 2,106
My last three IEMs have been Fearless S8F, Shuoer EJ07 and UM 3DT, and I can say that 3DT are best value for money IEMs for metal, and I listen mostly to prog metal/metalcore/alternative metal/post-rock like you.

I'm also very interested in Dunu EST112, but I am a DD guy. Maybe I will give them a try.

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #1,086 of 2,106
This is just my personal take. Everyone hears things differently. While the S8P has incredible amounts of detail and resolution, and is very transparent sounding, I personally found the bass, as boosted as it is, insufficient. I definitely prefer DD bass, but even for BA bass, I found it too dry and sterile. The upper midrange was way too intense and fatiguing for me, but that’s part of the trade off for such clarity and detail, and some others are not nearly as sensitive as I am to the upper mids. The transient attack and overall speed of the S8P is amazing for the fastest metal genres though.

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #1,088 of 2,106

I have not yet launched into the UM 3DT because I have read many times that its high mids are too intense, and in some reviews they put it as a problem for distorted electric guitars.
I understand that for you this is not the case, right?

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #1,089 of 2,106
i don't know if i should be getting the thieaudio legacy 3 /4 or the tri starsea.. cant afford lz

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #1,090 of 2,106
I have not yet launched into the UM 3DT because I have read many times that its high mids are too intense, and in some reviews they put it as a problem for distorted electric guitars.
That could be a problem for me has sometimes I can be too sensitive with high mids.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #1,091 of 2,106
i don't know if i should be getting the thieaudio legacy 3 /4 or the tri starsea.. cant afford lz
I've seen mentioned quite a few times the Starsea is a good set for metal genres.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #1,092 of 2,106

Really curious how this would sound with the LZ and 3DT. Anyone here with both sets?

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #1,093 of 2,106

Really curious how this would sound with the LZ and 3DT. Anyone here with both sets?

I don’t have the LZ sorry, but I listened to this album 1000 times maybe, and also with 3DT and I remember that they sounded amazing, but to be sure I will listen to it this night.

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #1,094 of 2,106
I sold my S8F in cause of high mids intensit. I was too sensitive and couldn’t even listen at medium volume. They made my ears bleeding 🩸🤕.
I don’t have any problems with 3DT.

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #1,095 of 2,106
There are some spikes in the upper mids and lower treble, but unless listening at a very loud volume, I didn’t find them bothersome. The 3DT does present a ton of clarity and detail though. I did place Moondrop filters on the nozzle to help tame those peaks some.

I haven’t heard the L4 or Starsea, but I don’t really recommend the L3 if metal is one of the main genres of music that you listen to. I don’t find the DD really fast or detailed enough.

I sold my S8F in cause of high mids intensit. I was too sensitive and couldn’t even listen at medium volume. They made my ears bleeding 🩸🤕.
I don’t have any problems with 3DT.
I had the S8P, and while the upper mids didn’t make my ears “bleed”, they were really intense, and I could only really listen to metal at low volumes. I can turn up the 3DT, even with stock tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back