IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Apr 11, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,066 of 2,099
@IEMusic
Need a detailed comparison,
Mest vs 3DT with metal song, 🙏

thank you,

I’ve heard 3DT is good for bass, but had someone has both strongly advised me of No-go for buying 3DT. Said “if you are not basshead, there is no justification for buying 3DT, if you already have like MEST or RSV. Maybe 3DT works great with certain impactful genre like metal though.
I personally would have to completely disagree with that someone. The 3DT has a little more bass than the OG MEST, with a more even sub bass to mid bass distribution (OG MEST seems more sub bass biased to me), but it is FAR from being a bass head IEM. If one were a bass head, one would be disappointed in the 3DT. It has a very fast, agile, and textured bass, similar to the MEST’s. There is adequate bass on the 3DT, but not a ton. It is certainly also not neutral though. I actually boost the sub bass a little on my 3DT, since the upper mids and lower treble are more boosted relative to the bass. The 3DT, like the DQ6, is a unique experience. It is not like the MEST, or any other IEM that I’ve heard (except the DQ6). No other driver make-up has yielded similar results for me. Timbral accuracy is amazing. Instrument separation and imaging are also very well done, though it’s not as holographic as the MEST is. Clarity and upper midrange/lower treble detail is off the charts. I know many may disagree with me on this point, but I have found the 3DT to be the overall most detailed IEM I’ve heard thus far, and that is with extra damping in the form of a Moondrop filter.

For bass, I find the speed, transient attack, decay, texture, and detail to be roughly similar between the OG MEST and 3DT, both being superb. If one likes really extended treble air, with very shimmery cymbals, go for the MEST. The 3DT has adequately extended treble for me, but it is not as prominently extended as on the OG MEST. I actually use EQ to roll off the treble a little on the OG MEST, to make cymbals (especially hi-hat and ride) more realistic sounding, and less splashy. If you like a more prominent upper midrange, with more “bite” to female vocals and guitars, the 3DT tuning is more ideal. If you like more treble detail than perhaps you’ve ever heard, go for the OG MEST. Both are extraordinary with all metal genres.

One thing to reiterate is that the tri-DD IEM is a unique sounding IEM, and there are some people who don’t really perceive it in a delightful manner. My recommendation would be to get the very inexpensive KZ DQ6 first, and if you really like the overall sonic qualities, then go for the 3DT. The 3DT is better in every regard IMO, except for sheer bass quantity, which the DQ6 has more of. I like the DQ6 with metal as well, but the DQ6 tuning is more V-shaped than the 3DT.

So, if you have and like the excellent MEST and RSV, than there is certainly no NEED to get the 3DT, BUT the 3DT is still a very different sounding IEM, nothing like either of those 2 IEM, and is completely justifiable IMO. More justifiable than many other IEM purchases.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #1,067 of 2,099
I couldn't agree more with @IEMusic about the 3DT not being a basshead IEM.
3Dt is very far from a basshead IEM and till now it is the best IEM I've tried for metal music.

Apr 11, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #1,069 of 2,099
I personally would have to completely disagree with that someone. The 3DT has a little more bass than the OG MEST, with a more even sub bass to mid bass distribution (OG MEST seems more sub bass biased to me), but it is FAR from being a bass head IEM. If one were a bass head, one would be disappointed in the 3DT. It has a very fast, agile, and textured bass, similar to the MEST’s. There is adequate bass on the 3DT, but not a ton. It is certainly also not neutral though. I actually boost the sub bass a little on my 3DT, since the upper mids and lower treble are more boosted relative to the bass. The 3DT, like the DQ6, is a unique experience. It is not like the MEST, or any other IEM that I’ve heard (except the DQ6). No other driver make-up has yielded similar results for me. Timbral accuracy is amazing. Instrument separation and imaging are also very well done, though it’s not as holographic as the MEST is. Clarity and upper midrange/lower treble detail is off the charts. I know many may disagree with me on this point, but I have found the 3DT to be the overall most detailed IEM I’ve heard thus far, and that is with extra damping in the form of a Moondrop filter.

For bass, I find the speed, transient attack, decay, texture, and detail to be roughly similar between the OG MEST and 3DT, both being superb. If one likes really extended treble air, with very shimmery cymbals, go for the MEST. The 3DT has adequately extended treble for me, but it is not as prominently extended as on the OG MEST. I actually use EQ to roll off the treble a little on the OG MEST, to make cymbals (especially hi-hat and ride) more realistic sounding, and less splashy. If you like a more prominent upper midrange, with more “bite” to female vocals and guitars, the 3DT tuning is more ideal. If you like more treble detail than perhaps you’ve ever heard, go for the OG MEST. Both are extraordinary with all metal genres.

One thing to reiterate is that the tri-DD IEM is a unique sounding IEM, and there are some people who don’t really perceive it in a delightful manner. My recommendation would be to get the very inexpensive KZ DQ6 first, and if you really like the overall sonic qualities, then go for the 3DT. The 3DT is better in every regard IMO, except for sheer bass quantity, which the DQ6 has more of. I like the DQ6 with metal as well, but the DQ6 tuning is more V-shaped than the 3DT.

So, if you have and like the excellent MEST and RSV, than there is certainly no NEED to get the 3DT, BUT the 3DT is still a very different sounding IEM, nothing like either of those 2 IEM, and is completely justifiable IMO. More justifiable than many other IEM purchases.
Great to hear some other opinions on 3DT, it made me to reconsider getting that, if DQ6 could be described as budget 3DT, I can easily imagine 3DT has its purpose, as I was still impressed with DQ6 even after hours of listening on MEST MKII, for rock source. Thanks!

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #1,070 of 2,099
Odin is phenomenal with Metal music.... and so it should be given the price haha but yeah, this IEM works very well with Metal.
I'll know in a few days.. Can't wait..

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,071 of 2,099
This Custom Art Harmony 8.2 has turned out to be my favorite iem lately for anything metal from Cianide - The Dying Truth to Ad Nauseam - Imperative Inperceptible Impulse. These don't give me any ear fatigue even on brightly mastered metal records and this was my main grudge against all my previous iem's except LZ A7. Most if not all metal albums especially from 80-90s are mixed way too bright and can be an ear torture on the usual crowd favourite iem's.
Custom Art Harmony 8.2's sound-signature is quite balanced but definitely warmer than neutral and relaxed treble without loosing out on details, It not like Fearless S8F/S8P or NF Audio NM2+ where every little micro detail are picked out and presented in your face but with H8.2 you can hear the details in the mix more naturally and not over emphasized by boosting higher frequency's. I grew outta those kinda iem's that wows me from just the first listen after listening to more balanced iem's like LZ A7 (black filter/monitor) I started looking for more natural/smoother and we'll tuned iems. Custom Art got my attention after talking to Piotr Graniski (CA founder) who happens to be a metal head himself, from a hobbyist to a full fledged professional iem manufacturer he has come a long way. I always wanted to try one of his iem's but never took the plunge until now. Harmony 8.2 is my first introduction to TOTL iems and I couldn't be more happier with the experience.
Custom Art deserve more love on this thread and forum.

Apr 11, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #1,073 of 2,099
They are genuinely ridiculous. Just razor sharp and the resolution is on another planet. What source will you be using?
My desktop setups, see my signature. Fiio M11 Pro for mobile application. But I'm considering either M8 or R8 for that, as an alternative. What source would you recommend?

Apr 11, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #1,074 of 2,099
I'll know in a few days.. Can't wait..
Let us know how you like it!

Custom Art deserve more love on this thread and forum.
I would like to know more about Custom Art, but you’re right, they don’t seem to have strong representation on head-fi.

Apr 11, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #1,075 of 2,099
My desktop setups, see my signature. Fiio M11 Pro for mobile application. But I'm considering either M8 or R8 for that, as an alternative. What source would you recommend?
Unfortunately I don't have the ability to test a lot of sources atm. The ones I do have on hand though are the SE200 and the SR25... Odin pair surprisingly well with both sides of the SE200 as well as the SR25 which is more than what can be said for the LX and the Z1R. It seems quite versatile in that respect, very transparent. By the looks of your desktop set up I reckon you'd get them absolutely singing hahaha.

Apr 11, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #1,077 of 2,099
Well, bit the bullet and ordered the Mest MKII. I'll report back how they fair, but I'll assume they will be great with metal like was said here before.
Rest assured, they will sound amazing with metal. I can’t imagine you not being thoroughly impressed with it.

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #1,078 of 2,099
Rest assured, they will sound amazing with metal. I can’t imagine you not being thoroughly impressed with it.
Good to hear...they are being shipped out tomorrow from musicteck so I should have them Tuesday as I’m in New York and he’s in New Jersey. I will post my impressions here. Currently, the only IEMs I have are the campfire audio IO’s so I’m hoping to be blown away. I generally use Focal headphones for my listening at home but maybe I’ll use these instead :)

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #1,079 of 2,099
Good to hear...they are being shipped out tomorrow from musicteck so I should have them Tuesday as I’m in New York and he’s in New Jersey. I will post my impressions here. Currently, the only IEMs I have are the campfire audio IO’s so I’m hoping to be blown away. I generally use Focal headphones for my listening at home but maybe I’ll use these instead :)
I know this can be a sticky subject, but whether or not you believe in driver burn in, or even brain burn in, I would give it some time before reaching conclusions, even if you’re completely impressed from the start. Also, tip rolling will likely make a big difference, as it makes a huge difference for the OG MEST.

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #1,080 of 2,099
Yes, I’ll give it some time..I usually prefer the foam tips but we’ll see how they are with these iem’s..silicon usually feels more comfortable for me but I tend to feel like I lose some bass presence with them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back