IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Feb 6, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #901 of 2,106
Anyone know some good foam tips? I love how the Foam tips of the FD5 enhance bass, but they are all too big for my ears. Are there thinner ones?
Tenmak foam tips are my favorite foam tips.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #902 of 2,106
I hadn't paid a lot of attention to IEMs for nearly a decade, so I had some catching up to do! Both my Etymotic and Klipsch died quick deaths, so I focused on full sized. So many names new to me, and dang, IEM flagships are even pricier, with MMR, Oriolus, Effect Audio and qdc from $4,500 to $12,580!

For bedtime listening, it's been awkward trying to get my Meze Neos back on the stand without dropping them on the built-in shelf of our captain's bed and waking my wife up. I read my Kindle paperwhite in the dark until I start to nod off, so IEMs might be easier to deal with. They plug into my NAD D 3020 V2.

The recent hybrid electrostat tech is fascinating, but ThieAudios might not be a match with the NAD. LZ A7 might be a good fit, but can anyone confirm how the isolation is? Wife wears earplugs herself, so don't need to be perfect, but I don't want to accidentally get something semi-open like the FiiO FD5.

Others I've looked at, FiiO FH7, MoonDrop Blessing2.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #903 of 2,106
I hadn't paid a lot of attention to IEMs for nearly a decade, so I had some catching up to do! Both my Etymotic and Klipsch died quick deaths, so I focused on full sized. So many names new to me, and dang, IEM flagships are even pricier, with MMR, Oriolus, Effect Audio and qdc from $4,500 to $12,580!

For bedtime listening, it's been awkward trying to get my Meze Neos back on the stand without dropping them on the built-in shelf of our captain's bed and waking my wife up. I read my Kindle paperwhite in the dark until I start to nod off, so IEMs might be easier to deal with. They plug into my NAD D 3020 V2.

The recent hybrid electrostat tech is fascinating, but ThieAudios might not be a match with the NAD. LZ A7 might be a good fit, but can anyone confirm how the isolation is? Wife wears earplugs herself, so don't need to be perfect, but I don't want to accidentally get something semi-open like the FiiO FD5.

Others I've looked at, FiiO FH7, MoonDrop Blessing2.
The LZ A7 has above average isolation. What kind of sound signature are you looking for?

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #904 of 2,106
I'm not that particular for this use -- generally listening sessions don't go much more than 30 minutes in bedroom, not critical listening like I do while working on reviews at desktop with my HiFiMans. Just some decent bass, detail. Was curious about tribrids with electrostat, but not required.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #905 of 2,106
I'm not that particular for this use -- generally listening sessions don't go much more than 30 minutes in bedroom, not critical listening like I do while working on reviews at desktop with my HiFiMans. Just some decent bass, detail. Was curious about tribrids with electrostat, but not required.
The LZ A7 has a piezo not an electrostat though.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #906 of 2,106
You really can’t go wrong with the LZ A7. It has a good base signature, and there are 10 tunings to choose from. It has potent and punchy bass.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #907 of 2,106
The LZ A7 has a piezo not an electrostat though.

Yes, I know. Which is why I said ES is not required.

What is the most affordable ES hybrid? The Clairvoyance? How's the isolation? Is it easy/hard to drive? Is the $250 price diff from the FH7 worth it?

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #908 of 2,106

What is the most affordable ES hybrid? The Clairvoyance? How's the isolation? Is it easy/hard to drive? Is the $250 price diff from the FH7 worth it?
The most affordable right now is the Mofasest Trio, for $500. During the last 11:11 sale the Tri Starlight could be purchased for as low as around $560, I think. The Yy ST7 can also sometimes be purchased for a similar price as the Starlight. The Clairvoyance is a very well liked IEM, with a great balanced tuning. The main criticism of the Clair is the size of the IEM. Some have had to sell it due to poor fit. Also the lead time for them to manufacture it is over a month.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #909 of 2,106

The Clairvoyance isolation is good. It’s hard to drive, needs some power, but with a good DAP it should not be a problem. I have both, FH7 and Clairvoyance, and I like both. If you want a more aggressive and dynamic profile, choose the Clairvoyance. If you want a more relaxed, softer profile, with less high mids, choose the FH7.

Feb 7, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #910 of 2,106
I think this one will match your preference,
Shuoer EJ07,
full enjoyment,
detailed but relaxing and non fatiguing,
nothing offensive from top to bottom.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #912 of 2,106
First thought: KBEar Believe. Some of us had some issues with the filters trapping moisture but I think we're in the minority.

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #913 of 2,106
Hi, i'm using qudelix 5k.
Can you recommended me a iem for metal.
My budget below 200$.
Thanks
Fiio FH3, superb separation and imaging,
if you could stretch it more, Fiio FD5,

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #914 of 2,106
I got the FD5 in my ears right now and while I can definitely say they are, by a stretch, my favorite IEMs that I can recall ever having (the Periodic Be is the only one from memory that challenges them, which I guess means I'm a beryllium person), but going from under $200 to over $300 is probably too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back