IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jan 16, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #811 of 2,093
Tiandirenhe TD06 2020 Revision. Phenomenal for metal, elevates kick drums to a whole new level, not to mention a wide and deep soundstage, with excellent separation.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #812 of 2,093
Such a funny coincidence I’m listening to the Universal L4 at the moment. Totally a different level. You will love the L4 maybe, I do. Cheers!

Your not going to be wanting anything for awhile! :)
Zeos said the L4 has dead center sound stage. Can you confirm this. I just about to order the L4.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #813 of 2,093
Zeos said the L4 has dead center sound stage. Can you confirm this

While I changed to some medium bore tips the first hour of the testing process I don't think so? I mean he is one review. Read all the reviews like from HBB who rates it as the middle best of his top-ten for 2020?
Note the 15.80 score here? That's all IEMs ever?
Also read his review next to mine?
https://www.audiodiscourse.com/p/antdroid-iem-ranking-list.html
I'm sorry I don't have answers for you except go by a bunch of reviews not one. It may be that soundstage is subjective? I know for a fact that tips change soundstage? You can put narrow bore tips on something and get a reduced soundstage.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #814 of 2,093
edit:

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #818 of 2,093
Well, the KBEar Believe was just not for me. Wasn't a big fan for instruments/metal. I didn't get in the 11/11 sale, and not looking like I'm going to recoup much of what I paid at all. Here's the Reverb listing if anyone was eyeing these, they're practically brand frickin new.

I am really enjoying the ER2SE though, the bass is much more to my liking. I am just not a basshead apparently. Ordered the filter pack to go with it too, can't wait for that to get in.

What was the issue with the KBEar? Too much bass, perhaps? I'm assuming so based on the Ety being more your choice?

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #819 of 2,093
Hi! I would like to upgrade my nm2+. Mainly i listen to thrash metal, but sometimes also to Hard Rock and heavy metal. Can You recommend an iem, which would be an upgrade ower the nm2+. My source are hiby r2 + Fd1 and phone+shanling up4. Budget around 400$.Thank you

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #820 of 2,093
I continue with my idea of buying a TOTL focused on listening to rock, progressive and metal.
I currently have a ThieAudio Clairvoyance (my favorite), FiiO FH7 (almost my favorite), and IMR Opus Mia.
My current candidates are Sony IER-Z1R, UM Mest, 64A Trio or 64A Nio.

Bad luck not being able to try them before, because with these prices ...

Each of them stops me for something:
- Will the Z1R be too big and uncomfortable?
- Has the Mest too much treble to be annoying? I currently have a Clairvoyance and I find the 2.5 kHz peak annoying. The Mest is much more relaxed in that area, but has a similar peak at 6 kHz ...
- Will 64A Tia Trio be too similar to Clairvoyance? In their graph they look very similar, and it seems to have the same peak at 2.5 kHz that is annoying to me.
- Will the 64A Nio be too relaxed and slow? And its bass too bloated? I have already had a bad experience with the IMR R3 Halcyon, which its bass took up all the sound, and I did not like its tonality at all.

I like bass. I think the Clairvoyance has the ideal amount of bass for me. But an IEM with even more bass would not be a problem for me, as long as it does not sound bloated or stain other frequencies.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #821 of 2,093
I continue with my idea of buying a TOTL focused on listening to rock, progressive and metal.
I currently have a ThieAudio Clairvoyance (my favorite), FiiO FH7 (almost my favorite), and IMR Opus Mia.

- Has the Mest too much treble to be annoying? I currently have a Clairvoyance and I find the 2.5 kHz peak annoying. The Mest is much more relaxed in that area, but has a similar peak at 6 kHz ...
- Will 64A Tia Trio be too similar to Clairvoyance? In their graph they look very similar, and it seems to have the same peak at 2.5 kHz that is annoying to me.
- Will the 64A Nio be too relaxed and slow? And its bass too bloated? I have already had a bad experience with the IMR R3 Halcyon, which its bass took up all the sound, and I did not like its tonality at all.

I like bass. I think the Clairvoyance has the ideal amount of bass for me. But an IEM with even more bass would not be a problem for me, as long as it does not sound bloated or stain other frequencies.
Out of the ones you mention, I only know the FH7 (my first IEM, but no longer with me), Monarch (somewhat similar to Clairvoyance I guess), and Nio, which I currently own. I honestly don't think you will be disappointed with the Nio. With the apex modules you can switch between MX and M15 to decrease/increase the bass substantially. I think you can buy a Nio used for around 1100 euros, which is really good value for a very versatile, and in my opinion, impressive IEM, that is suitable for metal music, but any genre really.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #822 of 2,093
Out of the ones you mention, I only know the FH7 (my first IEM, but no longer with me), Monarch (somewhat similar to Clairvoyance I guess), and Nio, which I currently own. I honestly don't think you will be disappointed with the Nio. With the apex modules you can switch between MX and M15 to decrease/increase the bass substantially. I think you can buy a Nio used for around 1100 euros, which is really good value for a very versatile, and in my opinion, impressive IEM, that is suitable for metal music, but any genre really.

From what I see in the graphics of the Nio, and what I have read in its reviews, I am totally sure that I will not like it with the mX module, since the bass is reduced too much.
My doubt is if with the M15 module or the FIR 0 it will be too much ...

How would you summarize the differences between the Monarch and the Nio?

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #823 of 2,093
From what I see in the graphics of the Nio, and what I have read in its reviews, I am totally sure that I will not like it with the mX module, since the bass is reduced too much.
My doubt is if with the M15 module or the FIR 0 it will be too much ...

How would you summarize the differences between the Monarch and the Nio?
I am not super articulate when it comes to describing my impressions. I found the sound signatures comparable, but Nio just 'better' across the board, more detailed/clear sounding, more refined. The mid-range of the Monarch was too recessed for me.

I understand your concerns, and of course it would be best to audition it somewhere, but if that's not an option, I would buy one used for around 1100. You should be able to resell for a similar price if you don't like it. Good luck!

EDIT: well, the MX does not totally remove the bass... there is still a dynamic driver in there... On some metal music, e.g. with lots of blast beats, a little less bass can be a good thing, in my experience.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #824 of 2,093
C

Consider the EJ07. I'm very impressed. I'm reallt loving mine.
I listen mostlly to progressive metal, djent, thrash metal, metalcore. Some of my favorite groups are: Opeth, Trivium, Haken, Caligula's Horse, Metallica, Pantera...

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #825 of 2,093
Whenever I see what everyone's listening to in here I feel like I'm the only one listing to dumb guy music lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back