IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jan 11, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #781 of 2,099
Thanks for the great review.
It looks like you 2 have 2 different iems.

Curiosity killed the cat!

Watched that review. Sounded great actually, he has heard way more $50 IEMs than me. He just doesn’t like the low end. Totally a subjective thing.........also he wants more upper and mid refinement, which is totally understandable. Yet the people who love the TC-01 are accepting of that..........basically hearing the togetherness going on.

Actually many do prefer the BL-03 over the TC-01, that’s a fact!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #782 of 2,099
LZ A7 or the Fearless S8Pro for a warmish neutral IEM? Currently daily driving the NM2+ for melodic black, death metal and prog as far as metal genres go. Any other 'warmish neutral' IEMs in the sub $500 range I should be considering beyond the A7 and S8Pro? Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk maybe? Note that I've never heard any hybrid IEMs (single DD only). I'm after something that has fast, tight and dynamic bass response, like the NM2+, but that's a bit more toned down in the upper range and doesn't have a tendency to compress busier stuff at moderate (~40% via an iPhone w/dongle) listening levels.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #783 of 2,099
LZ A7 or the Fearless S8Pro for a warmish neutral IEM? Currently daily driving the NM2+ for melodic black, death metal and prog as far as metal genres go. Any other 'warmish neutral' IEMs in the sub $500 range I should be considering beyond the A7 and S8Pro? Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk maybe? Note that I've never heard any hybrid IEMs (single DD only). I'm after something that has fast, tight and dynamic bass response, like the NM2+, but that's a bit more toned down in the upper range and doesn't have a tendency to compress busier stuff at moderate (~40% via an iPhone w/dongle) listening levels.

I didn't try the NM+2, but about Fearless maybe the S8F are warmer than S8P?

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #784 of 2,099
I wouldn’t really consider the LZ A7 as warm, but it has a good note weight, and it is very adjustable. While the tuning of the S8Pro technically has warmth, the upper mids in particular are so boosted that it sounds more bright than warm. I personally like the A7 a lot more for metal, especially if I want to turn up the volume.

I still really like the KBEar Believe for metal, contrary to some other’s opinions. There is a good amount of mid bass, which lends some warmth, but I don’t find it muddy, and the bass is plenty fast and detailed to me. The upper mids are not as boosted as on the NM2+, but the treble is a bit more, with more extension as well.

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #785 of 2,099
Yes, @IEMusic is right, the upper mids of S8P and S8F are boosted.... Unfortunately I haven't tried the LZ A7 yet to be able to compare them.

Jan 12, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #786 of 2,099
I don't know why nobody talks about iBasso IT01S. I can tell you that they are better than Fearless S8F for listening to Trivium. The more IEMs I try the more I like dynamic drivers. I feel the sound of DD IEMs fuller and more natural. Full BA like S8F are more analitical, but to me they sound too cold. I am not a pro neither an expert reviewer... I'm just sharing my taste.
EJ07 are coming in the next days.. I hope they will be endgame for a while.

My new Fearless S8F are still on sale on the froum's market with their 4.4mm upgrade cable, but no one contacted me. I will try to sell them without that expensive cable.
In case I fail to sell them, would someone be able to tell me which musical genre they shine with?

Thanks

I had the S8F and I use to listen metal with them. Have you tried to EQ them? If you reduce the 3.5 kHz peak 3 dbs or something like that, maybe you like them.

I regret having sold them, but now I don't have enough money to buy them again.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #787 of 2,099
I recently bought a second hand Denon AH-D7000, and it is personally the best headset I have ever heard, in any price range. I only listen to rock, progressive and metal, and it totally matches my sound tastes. It's perfect for me.

I'm looking for an IEM that has that same tonality. If that probably does not exist, but if someone is also in love with the Denon AH-D7000 and has found an IEM with that same tonality, or as similar as possible, let me know.

The closest I've tried is the Clairvoyance, but it has more upper mids, and I find it annoying on many occasions. Otherwise, it is very similar.

Maybe the 64audio U12t? Or the Nio?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #788 of 2,099
I have the Denon AH-D7200 (never heard the D7000 sorry) and iBasso IT07 pretty much sounds like it albeit with little more sub-bass and without 5.3Khz peak. IT07’s DD is one of the best I have ever heard in IEM. It literally keeps up with the knowles BA drivers that cover upper Mids to upper treble region.

0E463F47-49AA-4846-8F6C-7EEC9E1D47A5.jpeg

Actually I am surprised that no one is talking about the IT07 here. With my limited knowledge about the metal music, IT07 is the only IEM that keeps up with this music genre for me.
Separation, speed, note weight, imaging, absence of vocal sibilance, articulate bass make IT07 so ideal for this genre imo. I think of it as a direct upgrade to the A7.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #789 of 2,099
I have the Denon AH-D7200 and iBasso IT07 pretty much sounds like it albeit with little more sub-bass and without 5.3Khz peak. IT07’s DD is one of the best I have ever heard in IEM. It literally keeps up with the knowles BA drivers that cover upper Mids to upper treble region.

Actually I am surprised that no one is talking about the IT07 here. With my limited knowledge about the metal music, IT07 is the only IEM that keeps up with this music genre for me.
Separation, speed, note weight, imaging, absence of vocal sibilance, articulate bass make IT07 so ideal for this genre imo. I think of it as a direct upgrade to the A7.
I’m sure it is a superb IEM for metal, if just seems that only a few people have the IT07 thus far. Considering the LZ A7 is my favorite IEM for metal currently, the IT07 makes sense as the metal champ.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #790 of 2,099
I’m sure it is a superb IEM for metal, if just seems that only a few people have the IT07 thus far. Considering the LZ A7 is my favorite IEM for metal currently, the IT07 makes sense as the metal champ.

Wondering if clean separation between vocal and instruments more desirable in metal music? I feel in that sense, A7 (black-pop) sounds more cleanly separated even though it sounds slightly lean to my ears. IT07 sounds more organic, atmospheric and natural but maybe slightly blended in between vocal and instruments.
Yeah I guess IT07’s msrp is quite prohibitive for many to purchase blindly. Will be interesting to see if and when more people have chance to hear it and chime in with their impressions.

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #791 of 2,099
I have the Denon AH-D7200 (never heard the D7000 sorry) and iBasso IT07 pretty much sounds like it albeit with little more sub-bass and without 5.3Khz peak. IT07’s DD is one of the best I have ever heard in IEM. It literally keeps up with the knowles BA drivers that cover upper Mids to upper treble region.

From what I know the Denon 7200 is not too much like the 7000, but I have not been able to test it.

In any case, I will sign up for the iBasso IT07. It is an IEM that I want to try a lot, wishing to have the opportunity.

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #792 of 2,099
I have previously mentioned the Shozy Form 1.1 and the FiiO FD1/Jade Audio EA1 as budget options for metal. I have another one to add, that is probably even better, though it of course depends on each person‘s individual taste. That IEM is the now “classic” KZ BA10. It has the speed and technicalities of a good multi-BA set, with impressive soundstage and imaging. Detail retrieval is quite remarkable. The bass hits hard and rumbles a lot like a really capable DD, and decay isn’t drawn out too much. It’s just a fun sounding IEM.

Note: These are merely one person’s humble opinions, and should be taken as such. Hopefully others will opine on these IEMs as well.

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #793 of 2,099
I have previously mentioned the Shozy Form 1.1 and the FiiO FD1/Jade Audio EA1 as budget options for metal. I have another one to add, that is probably even better, though it of course depends on each person‘s individual taste. That IEM is the now “classic” KZ BA10. It has the speed and technicalities of a good multi-BA set, with impressive soundstage and imaging. Detail retrieval is quite remarkable. The bass hits hard and rumbles a lot like a really capable DD, and decay isn’t drawn out too much. It’s just a fun sounding IEM.

Note: These are merely one person’s humble opinions, and should be taken as such. Hopefully others will opine on these IEMs as well.
sketch-1610495481127.png

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #794 of 2,099

Much better than ZS10 Pro?

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #795 of 2,099
Much better than ZS10 Pro?
For metal, definitely. The DD bass on the ZS10Pro cannot keep up well with most metal genres. The bass is also more boomy and bleeds more on the ZS10Pro, though it is a really fun sounding IEM. The BA10 has very impressive technicalities for its price, and it’s main weakness, IMHO, is its ”BA timbre”, which can sound grainy and metallic at times, however, I find that acceptable/appropriate for metal genres.

BTW, I can listen to the KZ BA10 for much longer and louder than the Fearless S8Pro, which is so intense, it quickly becomes fatiguing. I actually don’t really like the S8Pro for metal, as this genre mixed with the S8P tuning is just so very intense. I like the S8P for smoother sounding and more melodic music. The BAs in the S8P do sound quite a lot more natural though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back