IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Oct 5, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #166 of 2,099
In my quest for finding the best IEM for this genre I am going to order all these IEMs and make a test.
I listen to all genres of metal, occasionally I listen to some pop and classical music.
  • IER 1ZR
  • CA Solaris (I already have this one)
  • CA Andromeda 2020
  • IER M9
  • Blessing 2
  • Xelento
  • S8Pro
  • S8F
  • UM MEST
My source will be Mojo and Lotoo PAW S1.

Do you think I missed any IEM candidate for the test? (budget is not an issue)
Good for you buddy, I don't have that kinda money but happy that someone can do it. Honestly I am satisfied with S8f maybe in the future if I hear something better...I like Andros but heard they are super picky with the source. For anything extremely fast all BA config always delivers so I usually stick with all BA. I've heard some metalheads talk highly about FH7 but it's not for me, bass might be over kill.
Maybe once you have these you can give us your impressions on what works best for extreme metal

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #167 of 2,099
I beleive Travis Ryan from Cattle Decapitation uses 64audio U12t

Oct 5, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #168 of 2,099
Good for you buddy, I don't have that kinda money but happy that someone can do it. Honestly I am satisfied with S8f maybe in the future if I hear something better...I like Andros but heard they are super picky with the source. For anything extremely fast all BA config always delivers so I usually stick with all BA. I've heard some metalheads talk highly about FH7 but it's not for me, bass might be over kill.
Maybe once you have these you can give us your impressions on what works best for extreme metal
I wouldn't be surprised if S8F beat them all.

I beleive Travis Ryan from Cattle Decapitation uses 64audio U12t
There 15% restocking fee with 64audio return policy. :sweat:

Oct 5, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #170 of 2,099
I wouldn't be surprised if S8F beat them all.

There 15% restocking fee with 64audio return policy. :sweat:
Somehow I just can't imagine going beyond $500 for an iem but I am also clueless on what's on the other side. I read on reddit, some guy was praising S8pro over S8f apparently it has even better seperation.
It sucks that 64audio has restocking fees, maybe you can try getting them from somewhere else

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #172 of 2,099
For those looking for an iem for metal under $160 NF audio NM2+ is quiet good, Technicalities and Detail retrieval is really impressive for a DD iem. Tested them with Nile, Cattle Decapitation, Death, Opeth all sounds good, I usual prefer BA iem's for metal but this DD came out as a surprise, they are quiet fast

Hi Vruksha,

What are your favorite BA iems for metal music?

Did you have a chance to listen to NF Audio NM2, NA2 and compare them to NF Audio NM2+ on fast heavy metal music?

Oct 9, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #173 of 2,099
Hi Vruksha,

What are your favorite BA iems for metal music?

Did you have a chance to listen to NF Audio NM2, NA2 and compare them to NF Audio NM2+ on fast heavy metal music?
My fav iem for metal is Fearless S8F which is 8BA, on the other end a good starting point is TRN BA5 (surprisingly good for metal and comes under $50)

I haven't heard any other NF Audio iems, this is my first listen to anything from them and from what I understand the NM2+ is their top of the line at the moment. It's a surprise to me that they are not hyped much.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #174 of 2,099
In my quest for finding the best IEM for this genre I am going to order all these IEMs and make a test.
I listen to all genres of metal, occasionally I listen to some pop and classical music.
  • IER 1ZR
  • CA Solaris (I already have this one)
  • CA Andromeda 2020
  • IER M9
  • Blessing 2
  • Xelento
  • S8Pro
  • S8F
  • UM MEST
My source will be Mojo and Lotoo PAW S1.

Do you think I missed any IEM candidate for the test? (budget is not an issue)
Competition for the xelento?
Dunu Luna and Technics EAH-Tz700
Not sure how it will perform for metal in your opinion though

Oct 9, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #175 of 2,099
0CFD1AC7-28B6-4AEC-ADB5-40B1969AB6A2.jpeg

Using the new DMP-Z1 ported software emulation into the Walkman 1Z. The best I have ever heard with pretty much all metal. Combined HanSound ZENTOO 4.4mm and Noble Encore K-10 IEM. Now you can hear Dimmu has orchestrated sampling as keys, where before they somehow sounded like “The Moody Blues”?

Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Drums seem to have a edge then a lull along with how it becomes much bigger mid-way in like what an orchestrated piece would actually do. Barker’s drums set-up the whole thing like they are following him? Yet tight as ever. Now I fully realize how this album is....it’s perfect!
BDB6BE2E-4675-4686-A436-B6DE3366E688.jpeg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-fw-mods-non-android.943661/

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #178 of 2,099
Oct 10, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #179 of 2,099
Has anyone tried the Meze Rai Solo? I really dig the 99s for metal, but curious on the Solo.

I have the T4, but it feels muddy.

Really looking for an iem under $300.
Even I have the T4, it's not exiting for metal it's good for soft easy tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back