IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Aug 24, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #121 of 2,099
Thanks everyone for input. So I've chosen dunu falcon c. Somehow they impressed me the most, starting from the soundstage and everything else. I've managed to listen to comets, pinnacle 1 and 2, ibasso it03, a bunch of chi-fi like shangling and something else, really can't remember now because tried to listen blindly.
Comets are dull i really expected more from them, but i bet it's a good marketing. They are just ok, good middle, no deep bass, no crystal highs, i would say that if I didn't know that its from CA I would pay 60$ max for them.
Pinnacle 1 is interesting, but a little bit too bright for me
IT03 vice versa, great stage, excellent details but the bass is too deep, after 2 minutes of finntroll i had a headache
pinnacle 2 sounded average (not bad, but after pinnacle and IT03 it's average, but more interesting than comets)

As I said falcon impressed me, starting from sultans of swing and temple of the king and all the way to heavy side, from Iron Maiden to black and death. So they are my weapon of choice for near future for everything.

The only moment I wanted to ask if there's a headset cable that will not ruin their signature? Any advice? I've tried one of shure's but either it is very bright itself, or the amp decided to switch to high gain with it, either way the sound was awful : )

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #123 of 2,099
Thanks everyone for input. So I've chosen dunu falcon c. Somehow they impressed me the most, starting from the soundstage and everything else. I've managed to listen to comets, pinnacle 1 and 2, ibasso it03, a bunch of chi-fi like shangling and something else, really can't remember now because tried to listen blindly.
Comets are dull i really expected more from them, but i bet it's a good marketing. They are just ok, good middle, no deep bass, no crystal highs, i would say that if I didn't know that its from CA I would pay 60$ max for them.
Pinnacle 1 is interesting, but a little bit too bright for me
IT03 vice versa, great stage, excellent details but the bass is too deep, after 2 minutes of finntroll i had a headache
pinnacle 2 sounded average (not bad, but after pinnacle and IT03 it's average, but more interesting than comets)

As I said falcon impressed me, starting from sultans of swing and temple of the king and all the way to heavy side, from Iron Maiden to black and death. So they are my weapon of choice for near future for everything.

The only moment I wanted to ask if there's a headset cable that will not ruin their signature? Any advice? I've tried one of shure's but either it is very bright itself, or the amp decided to switch to high gain with it, either way the sound was awful : )
Can you give more impressions of the falcon c? How's it for death metal?

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #124 of 2,099
Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #125 of 2,099
So… Before Falcon I've tried to make something good out of 1more quad with UAPP's parametric, but finally gave up the idea. Quads (in my opinion, i don't pretend to be an expert) only play good somewhere between 40 and 300hz, the other 2\3 of spectrum is a mess.

It's important because after quads I've tested IT03, Pinnacle p1, p2 for several days and around 10 different IEMs at store and had a hard time, because after quad EVERYTHING is bright like a fog light : )

So, regarding the Falcon. It has a ton of details, also highs and air, I literally hear the nice natural hiss from cymbals which goes to infinity without distortion, but as i said before, right now it almost hits my pain threshold : ) anyway, i've chosen falcon for it's resolution through their whole spectrum (if that doesn't make sense, tell me, I'll choose another words)) because you can't pull out something which is not there (1quad) but you always can cut a bit in parametric. I gave up the idea of using bit perfect for any recording, because they are all different and some does the job, and some don't.
So I've liked the bass, the soundstage, overall dynamics and resolution of Falcons and how they serve the details being a dynamic driver.

Now, compared to IT03, it looks to me that they are brothers with very similar identity, the difference is in architecture, armature vs dynamic. I still has IT03 and constantly been comparing them. The bass is tighter in IT03, but not necessary deeper in comparison with Falcons, it simply differently served, IT03 is more analytical and sterile (that's what i disliked) while Falcon has the same depth but also some "imperfections" of driver, which is excellent for my taste, brings beauty and breath of life in music, without giving up too much of details, the structure is awesome but without this sterile feeling that i got from IT03. Synthwave like Zombie Hyperdrive and Neon Nox also benefit from that somehow.

And somehow it also suits the rest of spectrum, IT03 is just too refined for my taste while falcon is alive as hell with tons of details. No about details… Both of these guys rubs my brain and eyes from inside (1quad, ahem) sharp needles with IT03, sandpaper with Falcon, so I have my corrections in parametric and now falcons are just magic.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, for example, can't be played on bitperfect (for me) due to the everyone familiar sibilants, but after calming down the high shelf of high hats and cymbals it is perfect. While Sepultura's Canyon Jam plays golden on bit perfect without any corrections. The intro to declipped painkiller sounds great and thunder at 1.05 doesn't become a farting mess (1more, ahem) while other instruments doesn't loose their positioning and details.

Now regarding the heavier styles, I've been listening through Finntroll, Sepultura and Death. All mentioned before is the same. The highs can be harsh (ex. on Finntroll Blogsvept) but maybe it is just me, but even though Falcons are bright, they has a ton of resolution and easily can be pushed down a bit in parametric without loosing details. Midnattens Widunder by Finntroll shines without sonic bites and all instruments are clearly distinct, even while that ventilator-style kick drum at 2.33 (with parametric); Bite the pain by Death works fine on bitperfect but due to it's v-shaped sound I prefer to use some corrections in parametric. I will attach a screenshot, what settings I worked for myself after these days so I don't have to turn it on and off for different songs (and you can see HOW bright the Falcons are for me : ))) But I really love this single dynamic's sound, details and drive are wonderful.
If you have any questions, ask :beerchug:

P.S. also here is my hearing test, d.k. if it can be trusted, but the peak from 4k and up seems legit. I'm 32 and seems like it's all not that bad )

P.p.s. Aaand I'm not responsible for any crashed expectations and wasted money, you definitely should listen by yourself before you buy : )

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-26-19-40-14.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-26-19-40-14.png
    530.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2020-08-25-17-53-36.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-25-17-53-36.png
    320 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #126 of 2,099
So… Before Falcon I've tried to make something good out of 1more quad with UAPP's parametric, but finally gave up the idea. Quads (in my opinion, i don't pretend to be an expert) only play good somewhere between 40 and 300hz, the other 2\3 of spectrum is a mess.

It's important because after quads I've tested IT03, Pinnacle p1, p2 for several days and around 10 different IEMs at store and had a hard time, because after quad EVERYTHING is bright like a fog light : )

So, regarding the Falcon. It has a ton of details, also highs and air, I literally hear the nice natural hiss from cymbals which goes to infinity without distortion, but as i said before, right now it almost hits my pain threshold : ) anyway, i've chosen falcon for it's resolution through their whole spectrum (if that doesn't make sense, tell me, I'll choose another words)) because you can't pull out something which is not there (1quad) but you always can cut a bit in parametric. I gave up the idea of using bit perfect for any recording, because they are all different and some does the job, and some don't.
So I've liked the bass, the soundstage, overall dynamics and resolution of Falcons and how they serve the details being a dynamic driver.

Now, compared to IT03, it looks to me that they are brothers with very similar identity, the difference is in architecture, armature vs dynamic. I still has IT03 and constantly been comparing them. The bass is tighter in IT03, but not necessary deeper in comparison with Falcons, it simply differently served, IT03 is more analytical and sterile (that's what i disliked) while Falcon has the same depth but also some "imperfections" of driver, which is excellent for my taste, brings beauty and breath of life in music, without giving up too much of details, the structure is awesome but without this sterile feeling that i got from IT03. Synthwave like Zombie Hyperdrive and Neon Nox also benefit from that somehow.

And somehow it also suits the rest of spectrum, IT03 is just too refined for my taste while falcon is alive as hell with tons of details. No about details… Both of these guys rubs my brain and eyes from inside (1quad, ahem) sharp needles with IT03, sandpaper with Falcon, so I have my corrections in parametric and now falcons are just magic.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, for example, can't be played on bitperfect (for me) due to the everyone familiar sibilants, but after calming down the high shelf of high hats and cymbals it is perfect. While Sepultura's Canyon Jam plays golden on bit perfect without any corrections. The intro to declipped painkiller sounds great and thunder at 1.05 doesn't become a farting mess (1more, ahem) while other instruments doesn't loose their positioning and details.

Now regarding the heavier styles, I've been listening through Finntroll, Sepultura and Death. All mentioned before is the same. The highs can be harsh (ex. on Finntroll Blogsvept) but maybe it is just me, but even though Falcons are bright, they has a ton of resolution and easily can be pushed down a bit in parametric without loosing details. Midnattens Widunder by Finntroll shines without sonic bites and all instruments are clearly distinct, even while that ventilator-style kick drum at 2.33 (with parametric); Bite the pain by Death works fine on bitperfect but due to it's v-shaped sound I prefer to use some corrections in parametric. I will attach a screenshot, what settings I worked for myself after these days so I don't have to turn it on and off for different songs (and you can see HOW bright the Falcons are for me : ))) But I really love this single dynamic's sound, details and drive are wonderful.
If you have any questions, ask :beerchug:

P.S. also here is my hearing test, d.k. if it can be trusted, but the peak from 4k and up seems legit. I'm 32 and seems like it's all not that bad )

P.p.s. Aaand I'm not responsible for any crashed expectations and wasted money, you definitely should listen by yourself before you buy : )
Thanks for the detailed impression bro. I found a deal on Fearless S8F that I couldn't resist so went ahead with it. Listening to Bite the pain rite now, couldn't be more happier!

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #128 of 2,099

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-27 Отчет измерений Dunu Falcon-C тест и графики - Reference Audio Analyzer.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-27 Отчет измерений Dunu Falcon-C тест и графики - Reference Audio Analyzer.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2020-08-27 Отчет измерений iBasso IT03 тест и графики - Reference Audio Analyzer.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-27 Отчет измерений iBasso IT03 тест и графики - Reference Audio Analyzer.png
    161.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2020-08-27 Отчет измерений MEElectronics Pinnacle P1 тест и графики - Reference Aud...png
    Screenshot_2020-08-27 Отчет измерений MEElectronics Pinnacle P1 тест и графики - Reference Aud...png
    152.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2020-08-27 Отчет измерений TANCHJIM Oxygen тест и графики - Reference Audio Analyzer.png
    Screenshot_2020-08-27 Отчет измерений TANCHJIM Oxygen тест и графики - Reference Audio Analyzer.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2020-08-27 Отчет измерений 1MORE E1010 Quad Driver тест и графики - Reference Audio...png
    Screenshot_2020-08-27 Отчет измерений 1MORE E1010 Quad Driver тест и графики - Reference Audio...png
    149.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #129 of 2,099
Aug 28, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #130 of 2,099
Are there measurements of the Falcon C? It was an IEM I always thought about gettting back when I had the Pinnacle P1, but I ended up getting the Tanchjim Oxygen and then the Moondrop S8 instead (both of which are great for metal).
Heard a lotta good stuff about Oxygen. Can it handle extreme metal well?

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #132 of 2,099
Absolutely. I had no issues with the Oxygen's technical ability, only with the fit and the need to regularly replace the nozzle filters.
Regularly replace the nozzle filters? Would you think it's the best bet around $200-400 for extreme metal? I had taken them of my options cuz read somewhere the bass on them is slightly too much. If I may ask, what kinda bands do you listen to? Just to get an idea. I am looking for a perfect pair under $500 Thanks!

Aug 30, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #133 of 2,099
Regularly replace the nozzle filters? Would you think it's the best bet around $200-400 for extreme metal? I had taken them of my options cuz read somewhere the bass on them is slightly too much. If I may ask, what kinda bands do you listen to? Just to get an idea. I am looking for a perfect pair under $500 Thanks!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tan...pressions-thread.901366/page-47#post-15719195
The Oxygen's tuning filters occlude with exposure to moisture and humidity, which can affect its frequency response. Even keeping it in a watertight case with a desiccant pack I still had to replace the filters every month or two.
You can check out my last.fm page: https://www.last.fm/user/XenosBroodLord/library/artists
Although I have not heard it myself I'd recommend looking at the Moondrop Blessing 2 in that price range.

Sep 1, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #134 of 2,099
I would like to see a comparison between Dunu Falcon C and Dunu DK-2001, because I've read good things about the DK-2001s. I know that they are hybrid and the Falcon C are DD, but I've read also that they are good for metal.

Sep 1, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #135 of 2,099
Falcon C are DD, but I've read also that they are good for metal.
As i keep tasting them (falcons) further I'd like to stress that this peak at 6k is really draws accent to percussion, sometimes even draws it from guitars, so it's a matter of taste and should definitely be considered, but as i said before the coherence of the sound due to single DD is my favourite.

BTW I've ordered a custom tips for them and waiting for even greater comfort : )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back