IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Aug 12, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #109 of 2,094
I think so, not sure what that means exactly.
Sub genres of metal like death metal/black metal/ brutal/technical and so on..I listen to a lotta such music, Wondering if Blessing2 can handle such complex music? Can it be a good choice for great Instrument seperation, quality detailed bass..not boomy bleeding into mids, good detailed highs with sparkle and good forward presence of mids...Good wide soundstage with spot on imaging? If they tick these boxes, I think it's a winner for me.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #110 of 2,094
Sub genres of metal like death metal/black metal/ brutal/technical and so on..I listen to a lotta such music, Wondering if Blessing2 can handle such complex music? Can it be a good choice for great Instrument seperation, quality detailed bass..not boomy bleeding into mids, good detailed highs with sparkle and good forward presence of mids...Good wide soundstage with spot on imaging? If they tick these boxes, I think it's a winner for me.
You pretty much just described the B2 IMO so it might be your winning ticket. I mostly listen to modern prog metal, but some TDM and avant death as well and they do everything well. It's subjective if they have enough low end for something like brutal/death, but there's always EQ if you're hankering for more.

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #111 of 2,094
Hey guys, just found this thread. Happy to finally find a thread dedicated to metal. I am looking for an iem around $300, please suggest me some options. I like more quality bass over quantity, fast attack with quick decay, good detail retrieval micro to macro, great instrument seperation and soundstage with precise imaging. Good emphasis on mids with detail. Most of my music is old school death metal, I also listen to blackend death metal/ atmospheric black/death, prog death, doom, sludge/stoner, dark ambient, tech death...and such. Was thinking about Audiosense T800 but bass seems overpowering and slow so that's out, LZ A6 sounded perfect from what I read but QC issues apparently (moisture issues), Moondrop Blessing 2 seems like the last one standing as of now. So what do you guys think? Your suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

PS - Right now am using a Shuoer H27 and TRN BA5, BA5 is defenitely my fav even though it cheaper, it's defenitely the $50 extreme metal king! Only problem is moisture condensation especially since am living in a very cold place.

Honestly, the Audiosense T800 bass is very controllable depending on the cable and eartips used. It sounds great with all subgenres you mentioned and I didn't have any issues with midbass bleeding into mids. It sounds especially good with OSDM like Entombed, Convulse, Adramalech, Demigod, and newer bands like Cruciamentum. If you could raise your budget a bit, I suspect the Fearless S8Freedom would be right up your alley though (no personal experience). The FiiO FH7 also match your needs based on description and personal experience, but it's a tad bit over your budget as well. If you're deadset on $300 USD as your budget, you can try the T800 and return them if you don't like it. They have something like a 90 day return policy so plenty of auditioning time. I can't speak to the Moondrop B2.

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #112 of 2,094
Honestly, the Audiosense T800 bass is very controllable depending on the cable and eartips used. It sounds great with all subgenres you mentioned and I didn't have any issues with midbass bleeding into mids. It sounds especially good with OSDM like Entombed, Convulse, Adramalech, Demigod, and newer bands like Cruciamentum. If you could raise your budget a bit, I suspect the Fearless S8Freedom would be right up your alley though (no personal experience). The FiiO FH7 also match your needs based on description and personal experience, but it's a tad bit over your budget as well. If you're deadset on $300 USD as your budget, you can try the T800 and return them if you don't like it. They have something like a 90 day return policy so plenty of auditioning time. I can't speak to the Moondrop B2.
Kinda torn between FH7, S8F and B2, found a used fh7 and S8f for $350, B2 goes around $320 new.

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #113 of 2,094
Kinda torn between FH7, S8F and B2, found a used fh7 and S8f for $350, B2 goes around $320 new.

My suggestion is the S8F based on what you said you want in your sound and what I've read from reviews and anecdotes (check out Metal-Fi forums). Crinacle's IEM ranking list along with BGGAR's ranking sheet might be of some use here. I personally lean much closer to BGGAR's taste in sound based on what he's said in his YouTube reviews, whereas Crinacle seems to prefer a classic neutral reference level sound hence his love for the U12t.

For those looking at higher-end price ranges (around 1500 USD), the Unique Melody MEST are extremely appealing. If I could easily get a Japanese version (it's more bass heavy than the NA units, amongst some other minor tuning differences), I would try that as my next IEM immediately. At this point it's looking like the 64audio Nio is going to be my next IEM to try. I was initially interested in the EA Odin but I really can't justify that price tag and I hate flashy looking faceplates like that - it's not exactly commuter friendly.

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #114 of 2,094
My suggestion is the S8F based on what you said you want in your sound and what I've read from reviews and anecdotes (check out Metal-Fi forums). Crinacle's IEM ranking list along with BGGAR's ranking sheet might be of some use here. I personally lean much closer to BGGAR's taste in sound based on what he's said in his YouTube reviews, whereas Crinacle seems to prefer a classic neutral reference level sound hence his love for the U12t.

For those looking at higher-end price ranges (around 1500 USD), the Unique Melody MEST are extremely appealing. If I could easily get a Japanese version (it's more bass heavy than the NA units, amongst some other minor tuning differences), I would try that as my next IEM immediately. At this point it's looking like the 64audio Nio is going to be my next IEM to try. I was initially interested in the EA Odin but I really can't justify that price tag and I hate flashy looking faceplates like that - it's not exactly commuter friendly.
Thanks for the recc bro. I've asked for a deal on an S8f, fingers crossed. Can't afford a fresh piece. Found deals on FH7 for $300! You own a pair of fh7? how is your experience with it? I lean more towards bright sound sig without being sibilant ofcourse. But can't help with the crappy production quality of metal being over bright at times esp with black metal. With most of the death metal production these days leaning towards more low end (which am not a much fan of..I like more of a balanced production) I m wondering if fh7 would be an overkill? I heard it has quiet a bass presence. As much as I appreciate a good kick, I don't want them to sound muddy. Quality over quantity in simple.

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #115 of 2,094
Hi guys, could you please recommend a nice iems for about 250$ (i'm thinking about campfire comet)? I use to listen to all metal from Dio to Devin Townsend (even some folk-black metal like Finntroll) and for now my daily drivers are 1more quad but i really tired of their bass, there's a ton of it, otherwise they are pretty decent for my taste, have lots of details but also lack something. I was tinkering with morphit plugin and revealed that I tend to prefer near studio monitor sound, the closest I got in morphit is something like shure 425. But morphit doesn't have comet profile so I don't know, also I will temporarily have pinnacles 1 and 2 next week, but i've heard they could be bright in our genre, so what do you think, any other ideas to consider? And also what do you guys think about comet?

Most of the time the source is lg v30 dac and the files are, well, declipped studio albums of all our beloved famous bands in flac.

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #116 of 2,094
Hi guys, could you please recommend a nice iems for about 250$ (i'm thinking about campfire comet)? I use to listen to all metal from Dio to Devin Townsend (even some folk-black metal like Finntroll) and for now my daily drivers are 1more quad but i really tired of their bass, there's a ton of it, otherwise they are pretty decent for my taste, have lots of details but also lack something. I was tinkering with morphit plugin and revealed that I tend to prefer near studio monitor sound, the closest I got in morphit is something like shure 425. But morphit doesn't have comet profile so I don't know, also I will temporarily have pinnacles 1 and 2 next week, but i've heard they could be bright in our genre, so what do you think, any other ideas to consider? And also what do you guys think about comet?

Most of the time the source is lg v30 dac and the files are, well, declipped studio albums of all our beloved famous bands in flac.
I hear a lotta good stuff about Moondrop Blessing 2, it sounds quiet accurate but fast as well for metal. Maybe take a look at the B2 buddy but it's around $300

Aug 21, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #117 of 2,094
I hear a lotta good stuff about Moondrop Blessing 2, it sounds quiet accurate but fast as well for metal. Maybe take a look at the B2 buddy but it's around $300
Moondrop are already over my planned budget. Meanwhile I will be able to test comets in two days, but I will only have them maybe for an hour, what can i expect from their sound, maybe some tips to pay attention while listening?

Aug 22, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #118 of 2,094
I've been going between the Noble/Drop K10 and the Fearless SF8F and... those two are winners. The K10s have a lot more body but still retain the clarity and highs to work. The SF8 are a little less bodied but have the clarity and space needed for busy/technical songs. I'm real happy with both/either.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #119 of 2,094
Moondrop are already over my planned budget. Meanwhile I will be able to test comets in two days, but I will only have them maybe for an hour, what can i expect from their sound, maybe some tips to pay attention while listening?

Maybe take a look at BGVP Artmagic VG4. 4BA with custom sound tuning switch.

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #120 of 2,094
I've been going between the Noble/Drop K10 and the Fearless SF8F and... those two are winners. The K10s have a lot more body but still retain the clarity and highs to work. The SF8 are a little less bodied but have the clarity and space needed for busy/technical songs. I'm real happy with both/either.
Can the K10 handle death metal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back