IEM cables upgrade, placebo or not?
Nov 9, 2010 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

torchwood1203

Head-Fier
Like many audio equipment phenomenon (yes Mr Burn In I'm looking at you )(p.s. I'm not saying I'm a nonbeliever), there seems to be a lack of technical/scientific prove for iem cable changes affect sound quality
does upgrading your cables really give you better sq (especiall change from copper to silver, like tf10 stock to null audio)

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 14
That depends on who you ask. Some say no and some say yes.

Try it for yourself and decide.

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 14
I think people should realize that cable upgrades will matter only with highly resolving headphones. Your first priority is to pick up IEMs that are at the least, triple drivers. I am currently having my UM3X's remolded by fisher and adding whiplash Twag cables to that. I will make sure to write up my impressions but my expectations are realistic, I expect the whiplash to tweak the sound, not make a night/day difference.

Ultimately that is all a cable upgrade should be utilized for, the final tweak that brings your systems sound to your ultimate goal. In this regards then, we can clearly see that system synergy should be achieved first. Therefore, focus on getting the right DAP + AMP + IEM combination. And then pick a cable that will help finalize the combination.

For my system, I loved the UM3X sound but wanted to try and open up the soundstage a bit and bring the treble more forward along with increasing bass presence. To this effect, sticking with an ipod video DIYmod and Arrow 12HE helped bring out the treble and bass without bringing the already strong mids anymore forward. I hope the custom re-mold + the twag will help bring some more airiness to the SQ and add clarity throughout the frequency range.

Just my 2 cents, hope that helps some!

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 14
popcorn.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 14
Some say yes, some say no. Personally from actually upgrading from the stock to the lune null audio cable (which is all silver compared to stock copper) I got an obviously noticeable change in sound. The overall soupnd was cleaner, the bass was smoother and the treble was a little brighter.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 14
I just put an APureSound cable on my Ety's.  The result?  It now fits nicely over my ears, isn't too long, and isn't microphonic.  I now have less money.  It doesn't sound any different.  I'm ok with that.

I recabled a pair of Ultrasone HFI 780's a while back.  I think that sounded better.  The stock HFI 780 cable is absolutely horribly made.

That's my two experiences with cable mods.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
I think people should realize that cable upgrades will matter only with highly resolving headphones.

Ultimately that is all a cable upgrade should be utilized for, the final tweak that brings your systems sound to your ultimate goal. In this regards then, we can clearly see that system synergy should be achieved first. Therefore, focus on getting the right DAP + AMP + IEM combination. And then pick a cable that will help finalize the combination.

For my system, I loved the UM3X sound but wanted to try and open up the soundstage a bit and bring the treble more forward along with increasing bass presence. To this effect, sticking with an ipod video DIYmod and Arrow 12HE helped bring out the treble and bass without bringing the already strong mids anymore forward. I hope the custom re-mold + the twag will help bring some more airiness to the SQ and add clarity throughout the frequency range.

Just my 2 cents, hope that helps some!

+1 exactly my approach, for cable as final tweaks.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 14
isn't it chemically known that different elements / compounds react differently to electricity and etc...?
So I believe different type of elements they used on cables should have different effects, although it maybe small difference. (to some it might be bigger difference)
and of course some may have ears that can detect those small differences better than others.
thats just my 2cents

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #12 of 14

isn't it chemically known that different elements / compounds react differently to electricity and etc...?

So I believe different type of elements they used on cables should have different effects, although it maybe small difference. (to some it might be bigger difference)

and of course some may have ears that can detect those small differences better than others.

thats just my 2cents

Yen, this is true; silver is more dense than copper and since electricity flows on the top of the cable rather than through it (reason for silver plated copper actually being legitimate) silver is a better conductor of electricity and the headphones will be easier to drive and also have a cleaner sound. (I observed this first hand when switching to a Lune cable with my Triple fi 10s.)

However for some people, this doesn't matter u less someone does a blind test with the cables andactualllypicksoutthedifference"after volume matching".

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #13 of 14

thats just my 2cents

Yen, this is true; silver is more dense than copper and since electricity flows on the top of the cable rather than through it (reason for silver plated copper actually being legitimate) silver is a better conductor of electricity and the headphones will be easier to drive and also have a cleaner sound. (I observed this first hand when switching to a Lune cable with my Triple fi 10s.)

However for some people, this doesn't matter u less someone does a blind test with the cables andactualllypicksoutthedifference"after volume matching".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back