IEM better than the IE8's
Jul 6, 2011 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

markwilliamsweb

Head-Fier
Hi,

I've had the IE8's for a while now and I haven't been totally satisfied with them. Although I know it's unfair to compare, I listen to music at home on my Denon AHD5000's and when I switch to my IE8's I always feel underwhelmed with the clarity of the music. I just don't get that wow factor when listening, which is what I get with the Denon's.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can get a similar sound to the AHD5000's with IEMs?

Many thanks in advance.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 23
Have you considered Monster Turbine Pro Coppers or Monster Miles Davis?

I think JVC FX700s are also a good IEM alternative to Denon Dx000s if isolation isn't hugely important to you.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 23
Hey there. 
I've never tried the ADH5000's but I've owned the IE8s.

If you want the "Wow" dynamic factor of clarity whilst maintaining a powerful bass pulse and vibe. I would recommend the Westone 3s.

Cheers,
Arrigo

Quote:
Hi,

I've had the IE8's for a while now and I haven't been totally satisfied with them. Although I know it's unfair to compare, I listen to music at home on my Denon AHD5000's and when I switch to my IE8's I always feel underwhelmed with the clarity of the music. I just don't get that wow factor when listening, which is what I get with the Denon's.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can get a similar sound to the AHD5000's with IEMs?

Many thanks in advance.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 23

Thanks for the advice guys.

Quote:
If you want the "Wow" dynamic factor of clarity whilst maintaining a powerful bass pulse and vibe. I would recommend the Westone 3s.

Funnily enough I have been looking at the Westone 3s as an option.

I see you also own some shamrock134, what are your thoughts on the Westone 3s?

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 23
I like my Westone UM2's a lot and they're just in the middle range, I'd be fairly confident in the Westone 3.

Super punchy like my UE's yet they come off much cleaner so you can enjoy music versus being distracted by a colored sound when it's time to settle down and stop headbanging haha. I'm more than happy with the bass, though I'd love to aim for higher end models someday, I'm just not that serious about IEM's.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 23
Yeah W3's are worth considering and they definitely have the "wow" factor with their powerful bass and sparkly highs. I didn't mention them because while they are exciting I don't think they sound that similar to Denons. I also find them to be a bit sibilant sometimes. I find the fit and isolation on them to be excellent relative to the IE8.

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 23
I too went from being extremely underwhelmed with the IE8's, and my previous experience at that point was Grado SR60i and Superlux HD681, and yet I felt the IE8's were somehow lacking - although it needs to be said I had fit issues with the IE8's at the time. I then upgraded to the Westone 3's, and gave my girlfriend at the time my IE8's - I have NEVER looked back. The Westone 3's are amazing in my opinion, and make the IE8's bass sound distorted and artificial. 

Since then I've tried the IE8's with Comply tips and it helped on the seal, but it just made me realize how bad I actually find them..

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 23
I think if you Amped them and they will improve in clarity but for upgrade JVC FX700, EX1000, W3, W4, SM3 are great IEMs.

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 23
You honestly don't even have to spend 350 dollars on a Westone 3 to be happy, I've heard the IE8 and you'd honestly be more impressed with a UM2 or even a UM1 for the money! I like their studio monitors I guess the Westone 1 and 2 would be their equivalents. I'm usually very open minded and I love all headphone sound signatures from the big companies, but I really think Senny dropped the ball on the IE8. I haven't really found an IEM that confused me as much since the SE530/535 when I wondered why they cost as much as they did. The Westone 3 would be awesome if you want to spend that money again on an IEM, but honestly you would be more than happy with less if you switched brands and worked your way up if needed.

How does your SR 125 sound compared to your other stuff?

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 23
As someone who recently acquired the W3's I will chime in and say they are great. I just got some of the longer Comply's and am listening to them as I type and I'm loving them. I just heard Monsta Mack by Sir-Mix-A-Lot and the bass was phenomenal to my ears. The highs are also very good and overall the detail is outstanding. Granted, I came from the Shure E3's and haven't heard other brands/models but these will be the last pair of IEM's I buy. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 23
I have a moded pair of Denon D1001K (Dynamat in the bowls and recable) and can honestly say that the FX700 is the portable equivalent to them. If you want the "Denon sound" in an IEM, the FX700 is for you.

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 23
Honestly I was shocked that people felt underwhelmed by the IE8. They are great IEMS. I made a mistake sold them to fund other things, since there was a great deal on IE7 as replacement.  I have a MTPC and IE7 that i have right now on my hand, I have to say the eventhough MTPC at much higher price than IE7 has only little advance in technique level. I have to admit that the IEs have the sennheiser house sound which would be better described as warm and polite. They got the bump on the mid-bass which made the mids sounds luch and rich. The vocal on IE7 is better than the MTPC. The MTPC just don't have the emotional influence and musicality as the IE7 dose. And the IE8 takes everything to a another level. The slightly distant Amy Lee just sound ****ing attractive!

So to OP if you wanna get rid of your IE8, let me know lol, we can work something out. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
Yeah W3's are worth considering and they definitely have the "wow" factor with their powerful bass and sparkly highs. I didn't mention them because while they are exciting I don't think they sound that similar to Denons. I also find them to be a bit sibilant sometimes. I find the fit and isolation on them to be excellent relative to the IE8.

Siblance can be fixed with Tips (Shure Olives) There was a post somewhere about a W3 owner who loved the W3's over his past IE8's He couldn't deal with what he called Veil. Never heard the IE8's here they are great, but I sold my W3's and getting ready to buy again. One of the best and surprisingly detailed, more so than my 535

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
As someone who recently acquired the W3's I will chime in and say they are great. I just got some of the longer Comply's and am listening to them as I type and I'm loving them. I just heard Monsta Mack by Sir-Mix-A-Lot and the bass was phenomenal to my ears. The highs are also very good and overall the detail is outstanding. Granted, I came from the Shure E3's and haven't heard other brands/models but these will be the last pair of IEM's I buy. 

Glad you are liking these my friend. I new you would. Guess what I'm getting another pair, thats how much I missed them

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #15 of 23
Thanks for all the advice chaps!

I think I've narrowed it down to the W3's or Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, as suggested by shamrock134. A lot of people seems to rave about the W3's but I'm just a tad concerned about the reports of them being sibilant. The FX700's sound awesome, but I can't find anywhere in the UK that sells them.

Quote:
How does your SR 125 sound compared to your other stuff?

I do like the SR125, they are of course brighter than my Denons but for certain music I do prefer them. If I find the bass lacking I tend to equalise them with the Fiio E7 on Bass level 1, but I wouldn't go any higher than that. The one thing I'm not sure on is the pads. I have just ordered some L Cushions, so looking forward to seeing how they change the sound.

I think the reason I find the IE8's disappointing is I have two bright sounding headphones, the SR125 being the brighter of course. In comparison I do find the IE8's sound rather lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back