Iem and headphone recommendations for classical music ~1000usd
Feb 2, 2024 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

cottaudio

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
Currently looking to change up what I’m listening to.
I currently have Denon d9200, HD660s and Fiio FD5s but I’m thinking of selling the denons and get something else.

I usually listen to classical music (the full gamut from Mahler symphonies to bach violin chaconnes) and want to find something around the 1000usd mark that’ll fit the classical bill.

This can be iems or headphones I don’t really care, but I’m interested in what others think would be a good shout.

Thanks in advance

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 17
I’m an 80% classical listener and have found the Audeze LCDi3 and LCDi4 to be a joyful listen, producing some quite brilliant textures. As a contrast really enjoy Focsl headphones for how dynamically expressive they are. The Elear was my first Focal when it was released and led me to owning the Celestee, Clear, Stellia and both Utopias, but I still think the Clear and Clear MG get a big chunk of the Utopia for a lot less.
I’m sure there are many more options that people will suggest. Good luck!

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 17
If I had your current ones and for classical, the Hifiman Arya Stealth is the best I've heard for that. IEMs would be the Triuthear Zero Red or Blue, 7hz Zero:2, Sennheiser IE600 are all solid picks. The Beyerdynamic Amiron Home is also really good for that type of music, just can't push the volume too loud like you can with the Hifiman.

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 17
I’m an 80% classical listener and have found the Audeze LCDi3 and LCDi4 to be a joyful listen, producing some quite brilliant textures. As a contrast really enjoy Focsl headphones for how dynamically expressive they are. The Elear was my first Focal when it was released and led me to owning the Celestee, Clear, Stellia and both Utopias, but I still think the Clear and Clear MG get a big chunk of the Utopia for a lot less.
I’m sure there are many more options that people will suggest. Good luck
Interesting ideas, I had thought about the audeze lcdi3 as an option so it’s good to hear that you rate it.

If I had your current ones and for classical, the Hifiman Arya Stealth is the best I've heard for that. IEMs would be the Triuthear Zero Red or Blue, 7hz Zero:2, Sennheiser IE600 are all solid picks. The Beyerdynamic Amiron Home is also really good for that type of music, just can't push the volume too loud like you can with the Hifiman.
I had the Hifiman Ananda for a while and wasn’t hugely taken by it, would you rate the Arya stealth as much different?
I’d also thought about the ie600 or possibly a secondhand ie900, have you hear the ie900 at all?

Thanks for the advice so far, much appreciated!

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 17
Yeah the Arya Stealth (haven't heard the Arya Organic yet) is a great suggestion here. Has so much more weight than the Ananda, so much better separation and dimensionality. Pair it with a warmer leaning amp/dac helps bring the treble more in line too. It's almost certainly the best bang for your buck for classical music right now.

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 17
Interesting ideas, I had thought about the audeze lcdi3 as an option so it’s good to hear that you rate it.

I had the Hifiman Ananda for a while and wasn’t hugely taken by it, would you rate the Arya stealth as much different?
I’d also thought about the ie600 or possibly a secondhand ie900, have you hear the ie900 at all?

Thanks for the advice so far, much appreciated!
The IE900 has much better extension at both ends and sounds better balanced at lower volumes. At higher volumes some do t like that much treble. If you’re a louder listener, perhaps the IE600 is better.

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 17
Yeah the Arya Stealth (haven't heard the Arya Organic yet) is a great suggestion here. Has so much more weight than the Ananda, so much better separation and dimensionality. Pair it with a warmer leaning amp/dac helps bring the treble more in line too. It's almost certainly the best bang for your buck for classical music right now.
Ok very interesting. Certainly on the contender list then, thanks!!

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 17
Ok very interesting. Certainly on the contender list then, thanks!!
Tonality on the Arya is obviously similar to the Ananda though, so if you didn't like the upper midrange dip and treble sparkle, you might not like this one either.

The best classical music rendition I've heard so far is the HE1000SE (not to mention the Susvara), but that's a good bit above your budget. The next down is a sticker modded HD8XX or HD800S, but it needs a pretty high-end, preferably tube based chain behind it to sound its best IMO.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 17
Still yet to hear anything more musical for classical than a Stax SR-Lambda NB with an SRM-T1 series amp as the budget option.
I wish that I could say we have progressed so much since 1979 when it came out - I'm just not hearing it.
(SR-X Mk3 is pretty good, too, but some may find it uncomfortable).

Feb 4, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #11 of 17
Tonality on the Arya is obviously similar to the Ananda though, so if you didn't like the upper midrange dip and treble sparkle, you might not like this one either.

The best classical music rendition I've heard so far is the HE1000SE (not to mention the Susvara), but that's a good bit above your budget. The next down is a sticker modded HD8XX or HD800S, but it needs a pretty high-end, preferably tube based chain behind it to sound its best IMO.
I see, yeah I didn’t actually have a huge problem with the Anandas it’s just for some reason I wasn’t that drawn into the music. Technically I was impressed and the highs and stuff were fine for me, just lacked some emotion I felt so let them go.
Interestingly I felt somewhat similar listening to the hd800s.
I might see if I can try the Arya stealths somehow though, see if they speak more to me.

Feb 4, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 17
Still yet to hear anything more musical for classical than a Stax SR-Lambda NB with an SRM-T1 series amp as the budget option.
I wish that I could say we have progressed so much since 1979 when it came out - I'm just not hearing it.
(SR-X Mk3 is pretty good, too, but some may find it uncomfortable).
I’ve never tried a Stax setup before but it’s something I do want to try at some point. Most people wax lyrical, especially those favouring classical music. I appreciate your suggestion!!

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 17
Stax at all levels are wonderful. So many wonderful headphones these days, we’re spoiled for choice. Like you said above, it’s just a case of finding the one that really floats your boat
Exactly! Never one right answer, everyone has different ears and different tastes. I always think if you're lucky enough to have access to music and something to listen to it through then you're already winning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back