IEM Advice - Beats Tour vs SE215 vs GR07 vs Turbines ?
Jun 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Hauken

New Head-Fier
Prior to a long-distance flight right after a payday I impulse bought a pair of Beats Tour a year ago and I'm amazed at how bad of an experience it's been.

1. Impossible to get a good fit with any of the tips, got aftermarket ComplyFoam (Went through a 5 pack in 3 months),
  2. Microphone and volume controls is dead due to running sweat, pause/answer button was really difficult to press without increasing volume due to moronic design
  3. Color has pealed off in several places and I've lost the right side beats logo.
  4. Now back on standard tips and the right one keeps coming off as i take it out, leaving it stuck in my ear all day until I get home and can take it out with pliers... I now bring pliers to work.
  5. Price: 1700 HKD
  6. The custom cable/3.5mm plug design with nice logo (that fell off) isn't very good - the rubber there has worn off and now I've got exposed and broken cable

We all know how overpriced these are and I... paid airport-price. 

Worst. Purchase. Ever. You can't make this stuff up!!!

However - the horrible design and build aside, I was quite Ok with the sound (When I could get them to seal perfectly, never whilst running..). I like to have a lot of bass, I listen to Electronic music mostly. 

Currently I'm back to using my 4-5 year (Still perfectly functioning, nothing broken, so I'm not unusually carless or anything..) Creative Ep630i's. Whilst these are amazing for the price, it's a clear audio downgrade. And it's hard to downgrade audio.

Reading reviews, SE215s seems like an excellent deal, better isolation, works well for running, not as in-ear of an in-ear monitor as the turbine's - I've got confidence in the design and brand, However, do they sound as good or better? Given the price difference... surely.. they can't sound _that_ great..? or...? As long as it's not a downgrade. 

Copper Turbines seem to have the kind of sound I'd like, reading the rave review in the guide from head-fi certainly got me to consider them, despite the above experience. Will those just fall apart as well? Thoughts? Is Monster better when Dr Dre is not involved? 

I've never heard of VSONIC. Are these easily available internationally? GR07 vs SE215 for electronica and running? 

UPDATE

So I went with the Shure's. They're a clear and rather significant upgrade from Tours. They do lack bass, but not _that_ badly. Much much wider soundstage.

The design of the Shure's vs Tours is night and day. The foam tips that come with Shure's are very good, cable-ear loop works well and have confidence in cable and other bits of it.

Nobody should ever by tours over se 215's. There is no reason. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 15
Vsonics can be gotten from lendmeurears.com, they have a good reputation around here when it comes to shipping and stuff.

The GR07s are decidedly better than the SE215s, slightly better than Turbines (my opinion) unless you like to have lots of bass, the I would go with the Turbines.

Otherwise, GR07 all the way!

Jun 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 15
year the turbines are pretty muddy and the trebles recessed. The tours are crap. I can't speak for the 215's but i hear they're not amazing either.  Seeing how much street cred the gr07's have on head-fi I think they would be the best choice, provided you're okay with a long burnin time and a slightly bright presentation.

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 15
I've owned tours and I currently own regular Turbines.

Unfortunately it's been too long to remember how Tours sounded exactly (probably a good thing) Turbines have that bass you're looking for I'd consider them an upgrade from Tours despite the lower price tag. Highs are a little recessed however they perform decently in seperation and clarity. I've also read spread results on SE215 bass response, a lot of people find it lacking, while others don't however, coming from Tours I can almost assure you the bass won't be enough.,

GRO7 is rather bright coming from something like Tours as well, you may not like it. I'd say a safe purchase would be Turbines if you're looking for a similar signature with better results. It's only Dr Dre line of Monsters stuff that's terrible. 

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 15
Thanks for all the feedback!!

So I'm reading reviews and Monster really do seem to have build issues - several report breakage. I just don't have confidence they'll last.

It's hard for me to buy the 'alternative' brands as I live in China where they aren't easily available (Not possible to import electronics) and whilst I'm in Hong Kong for a few days, where you can find anything, I don't know the city well enough. 

I think I'll need to go Shure 215's. The bass thing does worry me... 

How about if I spend more, any quality major brand IEM suited to electronic music? 

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

So I'm reading reviews and Monster really do seem to have build issues - several report breakage. I just don't have confidence they'll last.

It's hard for me to buy the 'alternative' brands as I live in China where they aren't easily available (Not possible to import electronics) and whilst I'm in Hong Kong for a few days, where you can find anything, I don't know the city well enough. 

How about if I spend more, any quality major brand IEM suited to electronic music? 

Even a Brainwavz M2 is gonna sound better than your Beats and is available in Hong Kong so why not try those first and see which signature you like before spending a gazillion? :) 

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

It is true. Monster Turbine series fall apart at the housing. 
frown.gif
 But from a sound perspective, we we're right on track! 
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #12 of 15
Update:

So I went with the Shure's. They're a clear and rather significant upgrade from Tours. They do lack bass, but not _that_ badly. Much much wider soundstage.

The design of the Shure's vs Tours is night and day. The foam tips that come with Shure's are very good, cable-ear loop works well and have confidence in cable and other bits of it.

Nobody should ever by tours over se 215's. There is no reason. 

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #14 of 15
Haven't heard the GR07. Turbines and SE215 are both decent choices for something thats bass emphasized but not muddy; the Tours are junk, had 'em and returned them the day I got them, sounded worse than the standard $40 Sony EX buds they sell at Radioshack. The Turbines sounded good but not great, and the build quality seemed questionable to me.

SE215 are my daily IEMs for my commute on the train, and like you I listen mostly to electronic stuff: psytrance, DnB, electro house, deep house, etc. The isolation is awesome, they are built to last, and the cable (which is thick enough to tow a freaking boat) is replaceable. You can also buy a cable for iphone or blackberry/android. I can't recommend them enough.

EDIT: I'm glad you made the right choice ^_^ I had the turbines once and...well they were good, but nothing special at all. For the same or less money, SE215>Turbines any day IMO, especially considering the replaceable cable and overall build quality.

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #15 of 15
IMO the Eterna are a little thick-sounding for high BPM really complex/detailed stuff like psytrance. They can handle it,but just aren't as resolving or clear-sounding as the SE215.
Quote:
Consider a Fischer Audio Eterna Rev.1 as well if you listen mostly to electronic music. :) Much cheaper than your other choices but heaps of fun. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back