IEM >$50 are nonsensical
Sep 12, 2011 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

karmypolitics

100+ Head-Fier
I compared my apple dual driver iems (purchase price: $36) to Sennheiser HD201's today. 

The Apple is actually better overall in terms of clarity and instrument texture. 

But -- b/c they're IEM's, they are more uncomfortable to use since there is pressure on the inside of your ears, and compared to OTE headphones something is lost by not using the rest of the ear's apparatus for listening. 

And, since they use smaller drivers, for price/cost they can't touch full-size headphones, and frankly, the higher quality will be lost anyways when you consider that these types of headphones are used primarily on the go out in the world where, after a point, the noise gets in the way of any additional clarity. 

In-fact, the apple in-ears falter a little bit IRL b/c they don't have overpowering bass to help drown out the surrounding environments, even though in quiet situations they prove themselves to be very nuanced. 

Add to the fact that IEM's are on a whole more fragile, and paying more than $50 for a pair of IEM's is a waste. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 26
Can't tell if serious. If so, this is a silly OP.. Comparing one pair of $36 earphones to a $20-30 pair and you have come to the conclusion any pair over $50 is a waste, well - I'm not sure what kind of logic that is. It's not only illogical, but also incredibly narrow minded. I prefer IEMS for my listening, whether it's at home or out and about for several reasons.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 26
Dumb thread.  Seriously.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 26
This thread is nonsensical.

I find good-fitting IEM's more comfortable than full-size or portable headphones for long listening durations, as I wear glasses and the pressure and weight is uncomfortable. I don't see how using 'the rest of your ear's apparatus' is going to improve anything with a simple stereo source. What information are you using to conclude that smaller drivers are worse? The best phones I've owned so far (which sounded better than many full-size headphones I've listened to) are the MEElectronic CC-51P's, which use 8mm dynamic microdrivers. They also give much better bass response and isolation than most cans I've listened too. I wouldn't be able to deal with my noisy commute with anything other than good-sealing IEM's. What makes you think IEM's are less durable? Lots of headphones suffer from failures in the hinges and headbands, as well as the wires, which can happen to any phones. There are plenty of durable and well-built IEM's.

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 26
This is what happens when you listen to Apple gear for too long
popcorn.gif

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 26

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 26
I personally wouldn't pay much more than $50 because I use them daily walking around and keep them in my pocket, and after a time they will eventually fail. That said, I can understand why people would pay more, if they use them at a desk or whatever.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #15 of 26

Most reputable companies have this thing called a warranty. It's kinda useful.
Quote:
I personally wouldn't pay much more than $50 because I use them daily walking around and keep them in my pocket, and after a time they will eventually fail. That said, I can understand why people would pay more, if they use them at a desk or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back